Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle singing Emery as manager... or not

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This stinks of a Newcastle win now. Brighton rolling over and getting their tummy’s tickled against the teams who need a few points.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Typical, they'll win on Saturday now, comfortably. And before any of the fairies berate me for being negative - I predicted a 2-1 win for us against Liverpool. We're always that team that give away points to teams on diabolical runs of form.

yep, you are right, you are always wrong, and tedious

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess it's possible His Royal Smugness is only in the running today because we're playing them tomorrow.

They are probably going to attempt to convince Edward that it's actually a home match.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Typical, they'll win on Saturday now, comfortably. And before any of the fairies berate me for being negative - I predicted a 2-1 win for us against Liverpool. We're always that team that give away points to teams on diabolical runs of form.

You are a very negative person which is fine if it floats your boat, but if you dont understand it yourself... thats a little bit hilarious and worrying.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I predicted a 0-1 defeat before smeddie was appointed. For the likelihood of this coming to pass, a quick check on the hall of fame list shows that currently this season I have accumulated a massive nul pointes, as they say on Eurovision :facepalm:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sky reporting Smug Eddie WON'T be in charge tomorrow.

I actually want him to turn it down, that would be so funny....

imagine being turned down by smug eddie, a bloke who has been outta work for neigh on two years....

just what does that tell you about the club and hierarchy:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was listening to Talk Sport earlier today and they were discussing Eddie Howe and how he had Plucky punching well above their weight in the PL. made me wonder if they were actually punching above their weight, didn’t they have a budget way above the bottom six clubs or was that my imagination? They also commented on the ex Bournemouth players now at Toon and how Ryan Fraser had refused to play for Bournemouth before his transfer. That could throw a spanner in the works and be an interesting dressing room scenario

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I was listening to Talk Sport earlier today and they were discussing Eddie Howe and how he had Plucky punching well above their weight in the PL. made me wonder if they were actually punching above their weight, didn’t they have a budget way above the bottom six clubs or was that my imagination? They also commented on the ex Bournemouth players now at Toon and how Ryan Fraser had refused to play for Bournemouth before his transfer. That could throw a spanner in the works and be an interesting dressing room scenario

There was always a media fueled narrative that Bournemouth were indeed plucky underdogs punching well above their weight, this is based on their barely non league standard stadium and that this was their first ever visit to the top tier of English football. But they failed FFP the season they got promoted to the PL and were fined nearly £8 million. That's never mentioned though as it doesn't sell them as well as the first part of their story does.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised this deal hasn't officially been announced yet. I think Newcastle would stand a better chance of a result tomorrow if they had Eddie Howe in place right now. The bloke has been out of work for 15 months so you'd expect him to sign any normal deal , but there is talk of a break clause with an automatic termination option for Newcastle if they get relegated. I'd imagine even Smug Eddie might have a problem with that.

I also hear that Nuno's contract may have contained a clause giving him much less compensation for early termination if Spurs are outside the Top 6. I believe they were 9th when he was sacked, but have a winnable block of games coming up. Classic Levy, saving a few bob where he can.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm surprised this deal hasn't officially been announced yet. I think Newcastle would stand a better chance of a result tomorrow if they had Eddie Howe in place right now. The bloke has been out of work for 15 months so you'd expect him to sign any normal deal , but there is talk of a break clause with an automatic termination option for Newcastle if they get relegated. I'd imagine even Smug Eddie might have a problem with that.

I also hear that Nuno's contract may have contained a clause giving him much less compensation for early termination if Spurs are outside the Top 6. I believe they were 9th when he was sacked, but have a winnable block of games coming up. Classic Levy, saving a few bob where he can.

Graeme Jones said in his presser that he's in charge tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I see your error, you think the wealth has been "earned" through hard work, clever investments and the like, however the individuals needed no intelligence to get their wealth, just fortunate to live on top of a huge oil field, and be members of the ruling family

Untold unearned wealth and privilege is not known for producing beacons of integrity and intelligence.They have already demonstrated that they have no real idea of how a football club works, despite there being several instances of Oil Rich owners (Citeh, PSG) to have learned from

To me it seems a basic requirement in doing anything at all, to start of with two things. An understanding of where you are, and an understanding of where you want to be. You then either need to formulate a basic plan of how to get from the first to the second, or hire someone who can do that for you.
The owners of Newcastle dont seem to have grasped this first essential step, and until they do just that then you will have a series of appointments, and decisions made by someone with no idea where the owners are trying to get to, other than a vague notion of "top club in the world"

Contrast that with BHA

A series of multi year achievable plans, with clear objectives, slow but steady progress with both playing staff, facilities, backroom staff, an understanding that Rome wasnt built in a day, that there will be setbacks, but learning from each mistake, and taking the long term view .

The only similarities I can find between this approach and Newcastles apparant blind blundering around is .well nothing

I was actually referring to Staveley and the other non Saudis rather than the royals involved. I agree with everything you say, however, it is clear that the Saudis are not involving in running the show…..they said so and I believe them :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here