Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Virgo's Haircut said:
Second time around we stayed at the 3 star New Yorker which is clean, bright and has all the things you'd expect a hotel to have such as cable TV and en suite shower etc. It's located right by Madison Square Garden on 34th and 8th.

I like the sound of that. If you read my earlier post, you'll note that that is where I will be staying, so it's good to hear some positive feedback.:)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
AlexFrutos said:
Yeah, I've been to NYC before, so I know roughly what to expect.

I found the whole city to be fantastic last time round, and I'm hoping for much the same experience this time.

I lived there for just over 4 years..

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
tedebear said:
I lived there for just over 4 years..

Cool

Did you actually live on Manhattan Island itself, or in one of the other Boroughs?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
AlexFrutos said:
Cool

Did you actually live on Manhattan Island itself, or in one of the other Boroughs?

Yep - Manhattan - a couple of different places all on the upper east side...72nd and Third and 75th and 2nd... and when I first got there a month in an apartment on Fifth Avenue looking up to the Met (fantastic apartment that I'd never ever ever in a million years ever afford one night in) but work was paying....

Last edited:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
The last time i went i stayed at the Pennsylvania Hotel bang opposite Madison Square Garden, nothing flash but reasonably priced and an ideal location right in the centre of Midtown. You will have a great time New York is the nuts and make sure you take a trip out to Woodbury Common its a must visit believe me

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
SJ's Love Monkey said:
. You will have a great time New York is the nuts and make sure you take a trip out to Woodbury Common its a must visit believe me

That's the retail outlet place, correct?

CRJ

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
AlexFrutos said:

CRJ

Absolutely mate and you will need a day there it is huge! 220 outlets to get round and all at 65% cheaper than Manhattan prices! Timberland, Prada, Nike, Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, DKNY, D & G the list is endless, its about an hours coach ride from Manhattan. Enjoy!

Brightonian74

Sep 18, 2004
Bevendean
Last time I went, my mate and I went to a NY Yankiees game. Their stadium is located in the Bronx. Match finished around 10.30ish. When we left, we asked a copper where the taxis were and was told that taxis never come up here at night and told us the SAFEST way was to stay with the crowds onto the subway!..............talk about shitting a brick when a copper in NY suggests that in the middle of the Bronx!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
AlexFrutos said:

CRJ

and if you can't spare a day for that - then Century 21 is the place - you have to search through some real junk but there can be bargains to be found!! Fulton St No4 train.. or thereabouts... its just opposite the WTC (ground zero) sadly...

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
robbied69 said:
Am going in a few weeks. Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay? Thanks

Wotcher,

I live in NYC so can point you in the right direction...

If you're wanting a proper hotel with ensuite etc expect to pay minimum $150 per night, more in popular areas. you can pay less by looking at the lower east side or the financial district on weekends.

If you want to do it on the cheap, look at one of the hostels in town - there are plenty of them and they're always busy so if you're travelling on your own will meet plenty of people to have a beer with.

If you're travelling around the 3rd/4th Sept. that's labor day weekend, so expect to pay through the nose for accomodation.

Most of the hip and happening stuff is downtown, but is only ever a cab or subway ride away. If you're bringing the missus Hotel Franklin is nice on East 87th street - but a bit uptown.

Holiday Inn downtown is ok and handy for chinatown, soho, village, Tribeca etc - expect to pay $225 upwards per night (breakfast is crap though, eat out)

If you can give me a bit more info, I can narrow your search down a bit.

atp.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I went back in May for my 10th wedding anniversary and stayed at the Intercontinental The Barclay on E48th/Lexington. Good location, on the subway line, close to the main action without being too close so not so noisy at night.

Top quality hotel but there are some very good deals there at the moment. I booked mine through Air Miles (you can just pay cash if you want) as they had it on special offer.

It all depends on your budget but I would recommend looking at www.tripadvisor.com to get some independant reviews of whichever hotel you choose.

Finally, if you want to see a superb show book tickets for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Based on the Michael Caine/Steve Martin film it was very funny and well worth the money. Never thought I'd enjoy a broadway show but this was a great night out.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Check out the Metro hotel.Went there a few years ago,pretty cheap to stay but superb position and great hotel.Go get your breakfast,take it up to the 13th floor roof garden and sit and admire the Empire state building 2 blocks away!.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
SJ's Love Monkey said:
Been to both and they are both great cities but NY gets my vote

I just didnt like NY - maybe because was last stop on way hme after 4 months and was out of money.

I thought Washington, Boston, San Fran and Portland were all better.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
BRIGHT ON Q said:
Check out the Metro hotel.Went there a few years ago,pretty cheap to stay but superb position and great hotel.Go get your breakfast,take it up to the 13th floor roof garden and sit and admire the Empire state building 2 blocks away!.

Stayed there on honeymoon in 2000, and went back again recently for dinner (great restaurant) and beers on the roof. recommend it and good value, though rooms are quite small.

Bit close to Macy's though, so unless you've got control of the credit cards, be careful (from one who knows...)

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Kinky Gerbils said:
I just didnt like NY - maybe because was last stop on way hme after 4 months and was out of money.

I thought Washington, Boston, San Fran and Portland were all better.

yup - had the same problem when I was out here travelling in 1989. NYC eats cash like nowhere else on earth, really different now that i have a bit of cash in my pocket - it's a great city.

Travel frequently to all the above cities, and I love DC, but they just don't have the energy of NYC.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
An important point about drinking in NYC that you never see mentioned in the guidebooks:

If you go to an "American" bar the beer comes in American pint glasses - i.e. 16 fl.oz. But if you drink in an "Irish" bar the beer usually comes in Imperial pint glasses - i.e. 20 fl.oz. The prices are usually the same in both. So if you drink in the Irish pubs you get 25% more beer for your money.

If you really want to save money in pubs, jump on the subway and go to Brooklyn or Queens, where the beer is around $2 a pint cheaper than downtown Manhattan - last time I was there (about 18 months ago) it was around $5 a pint, compared to an average of $7 (not counting the compulsory $1 tip per drink whether you get decent service or not - God bless America).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here