Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Wembley

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simple - Don't go by train...book the National Express Coach if there are any spaces left.

Rubbish. Wembley is VERY well served by the Jubiliee Line, and Wembley Park Station has been expanded to accomodate the crowds. Last time I went, it took about 20 minutes from leaving my seat at the end of the game to boarding a tube train at the station. Admittedly this was after a friendly, but the crowd was over 72k so it won't be much different for a sell-out.

The LAST thing I'd want to do is get to & from Wembley on a coach and get stuck in all that traffic.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Having been a few times now by different routes I can report the following:

Drive to Uxbridge, park in shopping centre (very cheap) and get the tube into Wembley is good as it allows you to get the tube out on a less busy line at the end of the game. However you may get screwed on the M25 on the way up and possibily by the tube. I had both for the last home game against Croatia and so didn't arrive until half time!!

Have done train through London and then tube, but found I got back later than...

Just driving and parking at the official car park at Wembley. Did this because of the tube strike last time and it was a dream. Got in the car park at the end and drove straight out and was back in Worthing by midnight.

Only drawback of driving is that you are stuck at Wembley and there is literally nothing around. No decent bars, restaurants, truly terrible. So you can park up early, and hop on the tube back into London if you have time.

Also have sat at all levels and have decided I prefer the lower tier, provided you can get a seat in the back half of it. That way you get a good view and atmosphere. Top tier seems quieter and you are a long long way up.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
There are a couple of bars, but dont expect to sit down , or engage in a decent conversation. They will be packed with pissed up England fans!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ignore my Uxbridge suggestion, just seen you are coming from Ipswich!! Train may well be best then if you can make it back in time to your connection in central London.

Underground is a lot better than it used to be, and normally you only wait about half an hour to get a tube back into London. The problem is that with a 8pm kick off this probably means getting back into central london not long before 10.45pm which may leave it difficult to get back to Ipswich.

One don't is DON'T buy any food inside Wembley. It is the biggest rip off con that the world has ever seen and the lack of queueing for food proves this!!!

Also if you want a souvenir, get to Wembley early and get in the shop outside, the outlets inside are very small and hardly sell anything. The prices again are a rip off, but it's still worth getting a little something I think.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If its a nice evening/day and you are in the top bit walk round to the balcony, you get a great view back up Wembley Way of the crowd on it way in.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If you liked the old Wembley prepare yourself to be completely underwhelmed.

It's soulless metal abortion in the middle of an industrial estate now.

That said I am going on Wednesday and agree with Easy 10, had no problems getting to and from on the overland and underground.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

That said I am going on Wednesday and agree with Easy 10, had no problems getting to and from on the overland and underground.

I think that is a little harsh. The old Wembly, twin tower aside was a right dump.

I think the seating area and pitch view are quality, and when you are inside for a proper match it is great. The concourse areas are dire, and very soulless though, and the surrounding area really needs some money spending on it.

Quite why no decent bars, restaurants have sprung up is beyond me unless there is a restriction on licenses perhaps?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is absolutely naff-all in the vicinity of Wembley. I think I lurked around at Green Park for a few pre-match bevvies last time. You've got The Globe there which gets a bit rammed, but there are plenty of other nice little pubs tucked away in the quieter back-streets, and you're handy for the Jubliee line to take you straight to Wembley.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I'll be going from worthing to wembley central via clapham junction (all overground) as this seems to be the quickest way on the train

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I am going to the new Wembley on Wednesday - any tips? Do's / don'ts etc....

Do soak it all in, Wembley is a magnificent arena for the sporting gladiators that grace it's playing surface. You can't fail to be impressed by the size and magnificence of the place.

Enjoy.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

totally agreed - one of the worst football stadiums I have been to. No atmosphere, no beer (at England games) at half time, no decent travel options etc, etc - hate it and would not go back

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Rubbish. Wembley is VERY well served by the Jubiliee Line, and Wembley Park Station has been expanded to accomodate the crowds. Last time I went, it took about 20 minutes from leaving my seat at the end of the game to boarding a tube train at the station. Admittedly this was after a friendly, but the crowd was over 72k so it won't be much different for a sell-out.

The LAST thing I'd want to do is get to & from Wembley on a coach and get stuck in all that traffic.
is the correct answer.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I think that is a little harsh. The old Wembly, twin tower aside was a right dump.

So was the Goldstone, doesn't mean I wouldn't give my right arm to have it back again.

I think the seating area and pitch view are quality, and when you are inside for a proper match it is great. The concourse areas are dire, and very soulless though, and the surrounding area really needs some money spending on it.

Would agree with most of that, found the view to be pretty shonky down the front but to be fair that pretty applies for anywhere (Cardiff was the same).

If you are going to go for the cheap seats and have the choice of in the gods or down the front, go for the gods every time!!

Quite why no decent bars, restaurants have sprung up is beyond me unless there is a restriction on licenses perhaps?

Call me a cynical old bastard but it might have something to do with getting you in the ground and drinking their £4 bottles of Carlsberg and £8 hot dogs and chips.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The biggest let down for me at Wembley, particularly for non important matches is the amount of "tourist" fans. So many are just there for the experience and frankly couldn't give a shit about the match/result etc. So many plastic premiership type fans. Very disturbing. AND they all arive late and leave early, shocking, whats the point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here