Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Wembley

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There are many stadiums I think are good, for many different reasons (some still have terraces, some for the pubs, some for the playing surfaces etc, ect) - I just happen to think Wembley is not one of them.

Wembley is a let down for me because - When you get there the walk up to Wembley is mundane, there are no street sellers, music etc etc it is boring.

When you arrive inside the stadium it is like the stairwell of a car park - totally underwhelming. It has little or no soul....I HATED the beer thing, it makes me sick that as a paying adult I am told whether I can drink beer at half time or not.

My point is that the Wembley experience, should be just that, it should be a day out, the best football experience I can have, where as to me, it is dull and uninspiring.

I agree that more could be done outside of Wembley, although I have been to international matches across Europe and the only place where I have found the outside entertainment to be worthwhile was at the world cup in Germany. All grounds provide hardly anything outside, because they want you inside buying stuff!! But Wembley is no better or worse than average on this front.

The external architecture though is stunning. The arch, especially at night is dramatic and a fitting symbol for our national game.

And how can you say when you arrive inside the stadium it is underwhelmed. Every time I go I am completely overwhelmed by it, and so is every one I have ever been with. It is magnificent inside (ignoring my concourse comment earlier), and pisses all over stadiums that I have been to in Germany (including Munich/Berlin and Frankfurt), Barcelona, Paris, Moscow and Ajax.

Really and truly name me a better stadium

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
yes, it is their fault as they decided to have the stadium there.

as for my favourite stadium, if I had to plump for one, it would be the Millenium.

And you think the Millenium is better than Wembley??

I went to the Millenium before the new Wembley was built and it WAS my favourite stadium, but I really think Wembley beats it now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are many stadiums I think are good, for many different reasons (some still have terraces, some for the pubs, some for the playing surfaces etc, ect) - I just happen to think Wembley is not one of them.

Wembley is a let down for me because - When you get there the walk up to Wembley is mundane, there are no street sellers, music etc etc it is boring.

When you arrive inside the stadium it is like the stairwell of a car park - totally underwhelming. It has little or no soul....I HATED the beer thing, it makes me sick that as a paying adult I am told whether I can drink beer at half time or not.

My point is that the Wembley experience, should be just that, it should be a day out, the best football experience I can have, where as to me, it is dull and uninspiring.

Well the area is shite, granted, but as mentioned elsewhere, thats hardly something the FA can control. And it was NEVER going to have terraces, obviously, but then neither did the old Wembley since about 1992.

Dunno what game you went to, but there were street-sellers all over the place when I went to the USA friendly, selling all the usual tat. I'm not OVERLY fussed about dancing my way through a street carnival, dodging musicians and jugglers on unicycles to get to a stadium, but yes, you'd be disappointed if you'd expected all that I suppose.

I actually thought inside the concourse was great. HUGE great floor-to-ceiling windows you can look out of across Wembley Way and the London skyline. Loved the elavators which take you up into the heavens as well. Modern, spacious, clean. Can't see the problem there.

Its just this half time beer thing that seems to rankle eh. But honestly, there's barely time for a pint in the interval anyway, is there ? I certainly couldn't be arsed to spend half time queuing and glugging down a pint for the sake of it. Save it for the pub afterwards, I say.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Well the area is shite, granted, but as mentioned elsewhere, thats hardly something the FA can control. And it was NEVER going to have terraces, obviously, but then neither did the old Wembley since about 1992.

Dunno what game you went to, but there were street-sellers all over the place when I went to the USA friendly, selling all the usual tat. I'm not OVERLY fussed about dancing my way through a street carnival, dodging musicians and jugglers on unicycles to get to a stadium, but yes, you'd be disappointed if you'd expected all that I suppose.

I actually thought inside the concourse was great. HUGE great floor-to-ceiling windows you can look out of across Wembley Way and the London skyline. Loved the elavators which take you up into the heavens as well. Modern, spacious, clean. Can't see the problem there.

Its just this half time beer thing that seems to rankle eh. But honestly, there's barely time for a pint in the interval anyway, is there ? I certainly couldn't be arsed to spend half time queuing and glugging down a pint for the sake of it. Save it for the pub afterwards, I say.

what? I wanted terraces at New Wembley ? ? FFS, read my post.

what pub do you recommend?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
what? I wanted terraces at New Wembley ? ? FFS, read my post.

what pub do you recommend?

Calm down dear, its just a messageboard.

What pub ? Well personally I lurk around central London and take in a few boozers around the Green Park area, before hopping on the Jubilee line there to Wembley Park Station, and reverse the process afterwards.

Simples.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

What pub ? Well personally I lurk around central London and take in a few boozers around the Green Park area, before hopping on the Jubilee line there to Wembley Park Station.

Simples.

'calm down dear, it's only a messageboard'

truly unreal from the bloke who types more useless unfunny shite on here than anyone else

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I quite like new wemberlee but is isnt the same as standing in the lower tier of the old wemberlee with the upper tier full of scotland fans burning union jacks.

Old werberlee had a better wemberlee way but nothing beats the tube journey when you catch a glimps of the arch, esp. at night.

I'm quite happy to go to a footie match without drinking a beer so I wasnt too bothered about the price of a drink or where on earth I could find one

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

What pub ? Well personally I lurk around central London and take in a few boozers around the Green Park area, before hopping on the Jubilee line there to Wembley Park Station, and reverse the process afterwards.

Simples.

'calm down dear, it's only a messageboard'

truly unreal from the bloke who types more useless unfunny shite on here than anyone else

This could run and run... tea, toast and marmite anyone?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think that ship has sailed err, Titanic.
There's a whiff of flounce in the air.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think old Rusthall has retired gracefully admitting they were wrong.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think the atmosphere is completely different for different games. As has already been said, it's the fans that make the atmosphere, not the stadium.
I've been to Wembers twice. Once for the JPT final Grimsby v McFranchise and this seasons Community Shield final and both times it has taken my breath away. It's an utterly incredible stadium. To me, stepping into that stadium for the first time was an almost life-changing experience, even if it was for a shitty game.
+ The atmosphere for Chelsea v United was incredible.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Well I'm going and am well looking forward to it. As others have said the atmosphere is dependent on the crowd themselves and the type of game it is. I've only been to friendlies before and sure the atmosphere wasn't great but the stadium itself is stunning. Come wednesday I'm hoping for a decent atmosphere but I guess that'll largley be down to how England play (hopefully not as crap as on Saturday).

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
I got offered a ticket on sunday, which i aceppted obv. right at the front of the upper tier. should be good. if your going for the first time make sure to try the super strength hand dryers. totally ridiculous, but effective.:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here