Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New stadium

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Just been reading the thread about the new logo for NSC and whilst looking at the photo of the proposed new stadium a thought crossed my mind. Now I know that a 23 k stadium will be more than ample for a club that has had to play under the restrictions at Withdean for so long but I wonder what would happen if we were to be a threat in this division and then make it to the premiership.
23 k would then be far to small for a premiership side who wanted to stay in with the big boys.
So if the club wanted to build on the capacity how would they do it because although I`m no architect the design that we can all see at the moment would make it an incredible difficult thing to do and would really cost some serious dough.Individual stands have always made it an easier proposition when it has come to extending back or so I have been led to believe from articles I have read in the past on ground improvements. The problem as I see it is how the roofs are all connected.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Lets worry about that when the time comes yea?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The club stated that there are no plans to enlarge. Although this may have been to placate the nimbys I suppose.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I think it's a worry enough to get 23k fans before we think about getting more!

Just because people went to Cardiff for the play-off final it does not mean they will go every week! We need to increase our fan base and instead of seeing so many Chelsea & Man Utd shirts around town lets have some Brighton ones! (rant over)

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
dougdeep said:
The club stated that there are no plans to enlarge. Although this may have been to placate the nimbys I suppose.

I can see why the club would not be talking about extending with all the hassle we`ve had over the last few years but I can remember when we averaged 25k for 2-3 years in the late 70`s and I reckon there is every chance that those days could come again if we make it to the top flight.I just wonder tho that the design of the stadium as it is would truly lend itself to extensions .Anyone who does`nt remember 30 k gates at the Goldstone might reply ``LETS WORRY ABOUT THAT WHEN WE GET THERE YEA``

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
dougdeep said:

I think there is a lot of things that will be changed in the clubs favour when its built.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I was under the impression that we couldn't make plans for a bigger stadium or the chances of it being accepted were less likely.

I think we're forgetting the enormous struggle it's taken to get permission for our Falmer stadium without wondering how big we can make it.

Should we be selling out every week then the debate will rightly surface, but until then there's little can be achieved from speculating as to our potential capacity when we're not even selling every seat of our tiny capacity temporary ground at Withdean currently

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
We'll build a bigger one at Sheepcote Valley:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Wigan cope with those sort of attendances.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
dougdeep said:
Ours used to. :(

Let's all hope for another investor then.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Who knows were we go once we get that behind us. I guess it depends on how all the infrastructure stuff works at falmer. If we can prove it works well, we may be able to look to increase capacity in future years. i'd assume if we were in the Premiership, it would be difficult for the council to say no!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
ATTENDANCES.jpg

If Falmer gets filled, they (the Albion) will just put up the prices. Once the stadium is built they will not be able to enlarge it.

However, before the stadium is actually built they could possibly make minor amendments leaving room without actually putting the extra seats in. I can't see this happening though.

Chances are the opposite will happen and Health & Safety will have kittens and reduce the capacity even more.

For old fans the reduced capacity is a bit disappointing and shows lack of ambition? Or it could be construed as a realistic long term plan, as an argument that football is currently enjoying a boom and it is not going to last?

Still, ideally, I would have gone for 25,265 with room for expansion to 36,748, which would only be possible IF ......

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
thanks Perseus, still banging the same old drum I see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here