Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New signings? - Magoo after 2 defenders and a forward

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
A week to go and McGhee is worried. No more than I have been for past 18 months.:rolleyes:
He says he will bring in a couple of new players for next week. Are they the same ones we waited all last season for in vain.
As they say, "You couldn't make it up."
ps. Am really pissed off starting new season thinking like this. Last year, however, I tried to remain optimistic right to the end but was eventually greatly disappointed, as we all were.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
I am optimistic that although we arent going to get out of the league, the players are more than capable of keeping us in the league, which is all that matters, we shouldn't expect to be surging in a 30 point lead by november, because the players simply arent good enough, but they are more than capable of putting in a solid performance and grinding out a draw or even a victory.

Hopefully a few new faces will add to the overall quality of the squad, or if nothing else will offer some competition and hopefully get the best out of players, Frutos, CKR & Reid are going to be big players for us next season we need to hold onto them.

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
dwayne said:
I still see that Jocko muppet is naming names of targets WAY out of our reach. He even recognises they are way out of our reach, I just don't get it.

I agree. We're one week off the start of the season and he is attempting to sign Geoff Horsfield. Why are we wasting time trying to pursue players that wouldn't have even signed for us in the Championship?

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I agree with TLO, at least we are not buying players for the sake of it. We have got to find the right players, not panic buys.

As for mcghee, the bloke cant win can he?
People criticise him for the lack of transfer activity, and then when we learn that he is activley trying to sign a numbr of players he still gets criticised.:nono:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
FFS ...

"There's also another one [defender] - and we could easily go to Rotherham next week with Adam El-Abd at right-back and Joel Lynch at left-back and two centre-halves who we've brought in."

Bring in a LEFT BACK, you clown. We've only been waiting 14-odd months for one ...

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The Large One said:
The point that everybody seems to overlook here, and that everybody needs to step back and look at is that McGhee is being pilloried for supposedly not finding a player. However, if it was up to the Tender Egos on here, any old player would do.

The reason we haven't signed anyone is because we haven't found anyone good enough that wants to come here. The Tender Egos might want to get some swamp donkey who has only one 'kick' setting. Mark McGhee, thankfully, has a much higher aspiration level, and a much higher quality threshold than some airheads on here.

Of course he has. And we're so very lucky to have him as our manager. Thanks for the reminder.

:D

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Statto said:
I agree with TLO, at least we are not buying players for the sake of it. We have got to find the right players, not panic buys.

As for mcghee, the bloke cant win can he?
People criticise him for the lack of transfer activity, and then when we learn that he is activley trying to sign a numbr of players he still gets criticised.:nono:

Actively trying to sign Geoff Horsfield??? - who even I could tell was being linked to major Championship sides!!!! I actually think that was a waste of his energy picking up the phone on that one!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
So who is he meant to sign ?

We all know we are at the bottom of the queue when it comes to signing players.

i actually think instead of fannying about with Brittain and french wingers we should have signed a player that actually played against us last night, Jon-Paul McGovern, proven at this level and gets a few goals from midfield

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
dunno said:
Actively trying to sign Geoff Horsfield??? - who even I could tell was being linked to major Championship sides!!!! I actually think that was a waste of his energy picking up the phone on that one!

Fair point about horsfield. I think itwas a waste of time us going for him. But these other players may turn out to be what wee need. (assuming we do get at least one before saturday).

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
blockhseagull said:
So who is he meant to sign ?

We all know we are at the bottom of the queue when it comes to signing players.

i actually think instead of fannying about with Brittain and french wingers we should have signed a player that actually played against us last night, Jon-Paul McGovern, proven at this level and gets a few goals from midfield

How about Trevor Benjamin? I know there are question marks about him (Chris McPhee was in the team ahead of him at Swindon last season), but he's surely worth at least a trial? I thought that of all the target men types we've had over the past couple of years, he looked the best of the bunch. He's been released by Peterboro & as far as I can see, he's not been picked up by any other club. I know he's not Pele, but he's a more realistic prospect than us keep ringing up about Dichio, Shipperley, Jeffers.

Edit - he's still at Peterboro apparently. Still worth a look though.

Last edited:

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Statto said:
Fair point about horsfield. I think itwas a waste of time us going for him. But these other players may turn out to be what wee need. (assuming we do get at least one before saturday).

What we need is less spin from the club re: Horsfield. We also need a manager that can get the best from the limited resources at our disposal. Coppel managed it, Adams managed it, Taylor managed it, Dick should have listened to Tony Bloom in the Summer. Can it really be good for a squad going into a new season where the manager is already telling people they will be dropped or put in the stands....Great!

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Its crazy we let 4 players go,have got some of our highest wage earners off the bill.Then give contracts to players that should now be in non league(Butters and Mayo)Have all f***ing summer to bring in new players:shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself
And yet 1 f***ing week away from the start of the season Mcghee is still talking the same shit he has for the last 2 years.
Still no f***ing left back.Target man
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :jester: Midfield players with skill:nono: :nono:

Mcghee has taken this club backwards and Tony Bloom should of kepted his nerve.Martin Allen another one that got away

Oct 25, 2003
London Irish said:
Disagree - Joel Lynch can cope well enough at left-back in the league and Paul Reid was again good tonight as he was at Colchester, although I hope he is used in a more central position given he has been our best player over these two games at Colchester and MK Dons.

McGhee is right to target centre-backs as alas our youth were put to sword there tonight after a promising start to the game. OGH also looks uncomfortable at RB, can see El Abd slotting in there.

no

lynch is a centre back who does an OK job at left back, reid is a RIGHT FOOTED central midfielder, who does a less than ok job at left back, as was proven last season

both of those are makeshift options, this does not prove that your saviour has made any form of attempt to strenghten the left back area

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The Large One said:
The point that everybody seems to overlook here, and that everybody needs to step back and look at is that McGhee is being pilloried for supposedly not finding a player. However, if it was up to the Tender Egos on here, any old player would do.
Hogwash.

The Large One said:
The reason we haven't signed anyone is because we haven't found anyone good enough that wants to come here. The Tender Egos might want to get some swamp donkey who has only one 'kick' setting. Mark McGhee, thankfully, has a much higher aspiration level, and a much higher quality threshold than some airheads on here.
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Ah yes, if it wasn't for Mcghee's grand ambitions we would never have witnessed the mecurial talents of such footballing TITANS as Mark McCammon, Federico Turienzo, Maheta Molango, Joe Dolan, Doug Loft etc at the Withdean stadium. :bowdown:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here