Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Rule from FIFA?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A discussion point for us:

I think that FIFA should bring in a general rule which says that any cliub in any league must field 7 players eligible to play for the country of that team.

1. People will say it is against Euro emplyment laws I dont see that as there is nothing to say ManCity or United cannot employ 20 non eligible players but they can only fieled a maximum of 4 so their employemnt would still be maintained.

2. People will say that Africans especially will suffer as they do not have the leagues to merit their players but this is not so as Man City as an example could still buy Toure from Barcelona but couldnt play him so would probably sell Adebayor at a reasonable fee so another club would benefit and so would Adebayor.

We might suffer slightly by such a rule but generally the standard of home grown players would improve and generally thge teams wouldnbt suffer unduly, after the initial inaugeration of the rule.

This suggestion has been mentioned before at national level but I dont think for FIFA to bring in the rule.

Now open for views!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
1. Why would Man Utd/City want to employ 20 expensive players if they couldn't use 16 of them?
2. How would African clubs afford the wages of Toure/Adebayor?
3. FIFA have pissed off the African footballing nations enough recently, and by implication, many of their players too.
4. Sepp Blatter has enough on his hands now, trying to captain the rusty hulk that is FIFA - there's no point in him handing out free torpedoes to his enemies.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I don't think you can easily dismiss how much this would go against EU employment / discrimination rules. By extension, in order to treat all UEFA member teams equally and fairly, players from non-EU European countries ( eg Turkey, Russia, Israel etc. ) would have to be treated the same as EU players for UEFA competition purposes.

So that just leaves non UEFA players you could easily apply this rule to, and I'm not sure there is the motivation given they are restricted by work permit issues anyway.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
1. People will say it is against Euro emplyment laws I dont see that as there is nothing to say ManCity or United cannot employ 20 non eligible players but they can only fieled a maximum of 4 so their employemnt would still be maintained.

It absolutely would be. There's judgements in similar areas here (employers stating that they will hire disabled workers, but not for front-of-house jobs, ergo they don't hire them) so it'd be classed instantly as a restriction on labour.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How can it be against European Employment Law when there is nobody who can decide and tell a manager who to pick and who not to Gus has given Bergkamp a contract and is employing him but there is nothing to say he has to pick him in preference to Adebayor if we loaned him or when we had Chris Wood on loan.

I would think that any reasonable lawyer could put up a good argument that it isnt against the EU Laws and how can FIFA which is a world body not EUFA be subject to EU laws. Football Leagues are autonomous in their rules as a High Court judge stated in the Steve Foster case.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
How can it be against European Employment Law when there is nobody who can decide and tell a manager who to pick and who not to Gus has given Bergkamp a contract and is employing him but there is nothing to say he has to pick him in preference to Adebayor if we loaned him or when we had Chris Wood on loan.

Because its an unfair restriction on employment. Clubs are not going to hire people they cannot use hence they won't hire them all = ergo employment is restricted.

I would think that any reasonable lawyer could put up a good argument that it isnt against the EU Laws and how can FIFA which is a world body not EUFA be subject to EU laws. Football Leagues are autonomous in their rules as a High Court judge stated in the Steve Foster case.

Not a HOPE. As I said, firms have had to defend "we do hire disabled/blacks/gays/etc, but we've policies on what we can do with them" cases before and lost

FIFA is based in France. Its subject to EU laws. The clubs you're suggesting would be hit with this rule would also be liable, as limited companies / co-operatives / members clubs based in their home countries. "Its the rules of my organisation" is not a legal argument, and football leagues have no legal autonomy in EU law.

The best lawyers in Europe have been on the defending sides in these cases and lost.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Globalisation exists. Deal with it.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
FIFA is based in France. Its subject to EU laws.

Being picky, FIFA is based in Switzerland. It is not subject to EU laws. Which is why they are located in Switzerland.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because its an unfair restriction on employment. Clubs are not going to hire people they cannot use hence they won't hire them all = ergo employment is restricted.

FIFA is based in France. Its subject to EU laws. The clubs you're suggesting would be hit with this rule would also be liable, as limited companies / co-operatives / members clubs based in their home countries. "Its the rules of my organisation" is not a legal argument, and football leagues have no legal autonomy in EU law.

The best lawyers in Europe have been on the defending sides in these cases and lost.

They can use them nobody is saying they couldnt so it isnt a restriction. Why do we have and payu the wages ofa developement squad. Why do premiership clubs have players on their books who are not in their 25 man squad as they cannot use them.

Move their headquarters to USA or Africa.

Get Cherie Blair or Booth as she uses for her legal work to defend it she would win.

Leagues would be autonomous as the argument is you join or renew your membership to the league each year and know their rules if you dont like it dont sign up to be bound by their rules.

Problems solved I think, but I am not a lawyer the Euro employment laws is a feeble cop out by the authorities.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
What exactly will this new ruling achieve? At the end of the day if home grown players are good enough they will play. Perhaps more English players could broaden their horizons and play abroad as it might improve them technically

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
They can use them nobody is saying they couldnt so it isnt a restriction. Why do we have and payu the wages ofa developement squad. Why do premiership clubs have players on their books who are not in their 25 man squad as they cannot use them.

Get Cherie Blair or Booth as she uses for her legal work to defend it she would win.

Leagues would be autonomous as the argument is you join or renew your membership to the league each year and know their rules if you dont like it dont sign up to be bound by their rules.

Problems solved I think, but I am not a lawyer the Euro employment laws is a feeble cop out by the authorities.

FIFA aren't the employers, the clubs are. And it wouldn't matter where FIFA are based - that is like saying that ASDA employees aren't subject to employment law as they effectively work for WAL-MART who are US based. You aren't allowed to set up an organisation which circumvents EU (or British) law, regardless of whether the parties agree to it or not.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
They can use them nobody is saying they couldnt so it isnt a restriction.

But it is a restriction. Clubs aren't going to be paying fortunes for players that they can't play, so it will restrict the opportunities for foriegn players. And this rule will have to affect all clubs not just Man City and Chelsea. Do you think your rule wouldn't lead to Bolton or Norwich or Blackburn or Fulham reducing the number of non english players.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

One there is ANY limitation on how they can use the staff its a restriction of employement and hence illegal

The clubs are still in the EU.

1: No she wouldn't
2: As a human rights lawyer the chances she'd take a case campaigning for a restriction on rights are zero
3: She's a judge now anyway

The law overrules anything to do with that. This isn't 1930.

Its quite clear you aren't...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You aren't allowed to set up an organisation which circumvents EU (or British) law, regardless of whether the parties agree to it or not.

I thought that you cannot break the law but it is perfectly legal to circumvent the law using loopholes.

The remark about using Cherie Booth was tongue in cheek and she is not a full time judge only partime.

I still cannot see by saying that you can only play so many non EU players break the law when the Premier League can say you must name a squad of 25 and not play anybody else if over 21 and that not be a restriction.

The releasing of the better non euro players to sign even better ones would release others to join the likes of Bolton Fulham etc as I indicated using Adebayor as an example.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I thought that you cannot break the law but it is perfectly legal to circumvent the law using loopholes.

The remark about using Cherie Booth was tongue in cheek and she is not a full time judge only partime.

I still cannot see by saying that you can only play so many non EU players break the law when the Premier League can say you must name a squad of 25 and not play anybody else if over 21 and that not be a restriction.

The releasing of the better non euro players to sign even better ones would release others to join the likes of Bolton Fulham etc as I indicated using Adebayor as an example.

There ARE NO LOOPHOLES for this. Companies have tried to play the game you're proposing in employment equality cases AND HAVE LOST.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1. Why would Man Utd/City want to employ 20 expensive players if they couldn't use 16 of them?
2. How would African clubs afford the wages of Toure/Adebayor?
3. FIFA have pissed off the African footballing nations enough recently, and by implication, many of their players too.
4. Sepp Blatter has enough on his hands now, trying to captain the rusty hulk that is FIFA - there's no point in him handing out free torpedoes to his enemies.

Youhave completely misunderstood my points.

1. Clubs could emply 6 or 60 depending on their financial ability but only play 4 in a team.
2. In that example by a big club buying Toure from Barcelona would mean them either keeping and paying the wages of Adebayor or letting him go at a reasonable price to another club whether it be Spurs Inter Milan or Besikatas.not to an African club.
3. The African players would still come and join European clubs as there are so many of them and the African Leagues are not good enough for them to develope.
4. As the chairman of the world governing body it is hios duty to try to om[prove gthe standxard of natiuonal teams rather thah the pockets of wealthy club owners
in this or any other country.

With regard to other posters I would say that it would possibly have to be reworded to state they must be EU nationals, not Africans Russian or other Non EU nationals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What exactly will this new ruling achieve? At the end of the day if home grown players are good enough they will play. Perhaps more English players could broaden their horizons and play abroad as it might improve them technically

It would improve the general standard of play as only the better non Euro players would be signed. Clubs like we were would not sign players like Frutos Bertin etc which would give more homegrown players the opportunity. This would enhance the national teams of every country especially in the UK and the rest of Europe. It would also stabilise the financial side of the game because players leaving a club earninga fortune per week would have less opporuntiy to earn the same with less clubs being able to sign them so their demands would be lower and probably more realistic.

Assuming this was in operation and anybody at Man City on £100k per week had to be released how many clubs would be willing to pay that kind of money possibly 2 or 3 and hey would have to release a player so they would accept a more realistic wage and this would continue down the line. The loser would be the weaker players which the game in this country doesnt need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here