Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Rule from FIFA?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...and you're completely misunderstanding what a restriction on employment is.

i think you are making the misundersanding. for a start i dont believe there has been a single test case on this subject, so its forum specualtion wether NSC or Lawyers4U. having employment with a club does not mean having to play, simple as that. companies employ saleman, doesnt mean they have to be given a decent account if one at all; companies employ managers or executives, they dont have to have any team, project to manage or be responsible for anything. i would point out that the current FIFA (or is it UEFA) rule regarding minimum number of "home grown" players is a step towards exactly what BenGrandad is suggesting, which has not been legally challenged.

Does it trouble anyone that the majority of the Albion first team squad are eligible to play internationals for countries other than England?

Peter Brezovan
Gordon Greer
Adam El-Abd
Ashley Barnes
Craig Mackail-Smith
Iñigo Calderón
Vicente Rodríguez
Casper Ankergren
Gary Dicker
Romain Vincelot
Marcos Painter
Torbjørn Agdestein
Kazenga LuaLua
Mauricio Taricco
Roland Bergkamp

Tommy Elphick
Lewis Dunk
Will Hoskins
Alan Navarro
Matt Sparrow
Craig Noone
Ryan Harley
Michael Poke
Jamie Smith
Liam Bridcutt
Steve Cook
Will Buckley
George Barker

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
i think you are making the misundersanding. for a start i dont believe there has been a single test case on this subject, so its forum specualtion wether NSC or Lawyers4U. having employment with a club does not mean having to play, simple as that. companies employ saleman, doesnt mean they have to be given a decent account if one at all; companies employ managers or executives, they dont have to have any team, project to manage or be responsible for anything. i would point out that the current FIFA (or is it UEFA) rule regarding minimum number of "home grown" players is a step towards exactly what BenGrandad is suggesting, which has not been legally challenged.

There has been on other employment equality strands, namely a retailer who wouldn't hire people of "certain ethnicities" for front of house jobs but tried to argue that they were compliant as they had them in admin and so on. Once a work permit is issued, nationality is an employment equality issue. A specific test for this isn't required because its blatantly obvious what the result would be.

The rest of your analogies don't stand up, primarily because they do not come in under equality rules. A company is not restricted in how many EU-citizen sales staff it is allowed use as part of its sales team, nor female, nor white, nor lesbian, or whatever. If they were, that'd be a direct restriction on employment.

The "home grown players" rule is a PL rule and nothing more as FIFA dropped their plans for it on, guess what? Legal grounds as they realised it'd break EU laws: BBC Sport - Football - Fifa scraps plans for 'home-grown' player rule . Once a club finds themselves having trouble over it they'll challenge it, and win.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here