Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Record

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I dont know what everyone expects but if they think that 25,000 people will all be able to get a pie, burger, pint or whatever with no more than 2 mins waiting then they are going to be rather dissapointed!

Nobody minds a wait..... its facing the stock deficiencies that is a bugger.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Nobody minds a wait..... its facing the stock deficiencies that is a bugger.

The same point though. They could spend all Saturday morning cooking pies and pouring pints so they wouldn't run out but people would only complain that pies are dry, horrible, cold and the pints are warm and flat. You either want sub-standard food and drink quickly or you want a very good quality food (for a Football ground) and a cold pint but wait for it. Unfortunatly you cant have it both ways. Lets not fotget that this is a FOOTBALL stadium, not a resturant or any other food establishment. If the main reason for having the Amex is to serve food then I am sure that it would be done brilliantly but it isn't so why do people expect good food ready instantly?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What amazes me is that a small local company such as Piglets Pantry can actually make 14,000 every two weeks !!!!! Well done to them for making a success of it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
She is seriously at capacity now.

If we want sausage rolls and pizza calzone, we're going to have to wait until she has moved to larger premises. Again.

Well I hope she's reaping the rewards. I know it's frustrating when you can't get a pie but I'd rather have that occasional disappointment than the Albion use some mass produced rubbish.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Probably because more pies are being sold. And that's not just because of a bigger crowd - there's proportionally more.

Crowds are up about 28%. On Friday's showing, pie sales are up 64% I think they're doing bloody well to shift that many.

But as we saw last year, night games mean more meals on the go... so perhaps a little more forward planning?!?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Issues at the kiosks have been resolved in the ESL - but after the game we went into Dicks Bar. Why is it so chaotic in there ? The girl serving our section of the bar had no idea aout looking to see who was next in the queue. A central queuing system (or any type of queuing system) would be far more sensible - or train the staff to act like bar-staff.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But as we saw last year, night games mean more meals on the go... so perhaps a little more forward planning?!?

Actually, pies and pints sales last season were always best on Saturdays. With this sort of scenario, the best forward planning is based on what's gone before.

But we're talking about 14,000 pies; in football terms, that's an eye-watering figure. Getting 14,000 freshly baked home-made pies out requires an awful lot of forward planning. No stadium in the country (except maybe Wembley) caters for anything like that sort of figure.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Actually, pies and pints sales last season were always best on Saturdays. With this sort of scenario, the best forward planning is based on what's gone before.

But we're talking about 14,000 pies; in football terms, that's an eye-watering figure. Getting 14,000 freshly baked home-made pies out requires an awful lot of forward planning. No stadium in the country (except maybe Wembley) caters for anything like that sort of figure.

Some people may do well to remember that. Despite all the moans on here, we do appear to get through a quite staggering amount of refreshments for a football ground and satisfying the demand is going to be difficult.

The main problem seems to be one of communication, primary between the kiosks and the kiosk managers responsible for maligning sure stocks are maintained, and secondly between the kiosks and the queuing customers as to what is actually available at that time. Both these need to be improved and the pressure taken off the serving staff who have to bear the brunt of any customer dissatisfaction.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Some people may do well to remember that. Despite all the moans on here, we do appear to get through a quite staggering amount of refreshments for a football ground and satisfying the demand is going to be difficult.

The main problem seems to be one of communication, primary between the kiosks and the kiosk managers responsible for maligning sure stocks are maintained, and secondly between the kiosks and the queuing customers as to what is actually available at that time. Both these need to be improved and the pressure taken off the serving staff who have to bear the brunt of any customer dissatisfaction.

I agree, stock information is what is required.

A simple sign, saying sold out, would prevent the guaranteed disgruntled fan who has queued up and got nothing. The worst thing for a customer is that at half-time you have no chance of joining another queue and getting served, if its not till you get to the till, that you find that there is no stock.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The sell outs pre-game are what confused me, 5 minutes before kick off. It's not like an unsold pie is going to wastage at 2:55pm.

I wonder how many pints an average pub sells in a year/month and how the figures would look if worked out as an equivalent of that? Harveys and Dark Star must be very pleased I am sure - on site brewery next maybe?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I wonder how many pints an average pub sells in a year/month and how the figures would look if worked out as an equivalent of that? Harveys and Dark Star must be very pleased I am sure - on site brewery next maybe?

A few months ago, maybe even before the stadium opened, I suggested on air that - with a straight face - to Martin Perry; that City College run brewery courses at the club's own onsite brewery.

His reaction was to roll his eyes with a look of 'Oh, for crying out loud...' followed by a facepalm.

But hey, this is the Amex - anything's possible. Never say 'never' etc...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
for the last 5 minutes or so of the game, there were big adverts on the screens for a reduced price on the pie. When we went to get areduced price pie, they had all gone. (This was in WSU)

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Why can't the stewards double up as waiters, obviously after ditching the hi vis jackets and putting on more suitable waiting attire. Then they could take orders from everyone in their seats and bring the food to them, piping hot and fresh. Then in the last 20-30 minutes of the game, they could bring round the bills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here