Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Prime Minister

Race said:
On arriving at 10 Downing Street, she famously said, in a paraphrase of St. Francis of Assisi:

“ Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope."

Shame she ignored her own speech and went about causing more discord, errors and despair than any leader this country has known.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I remember queueing for bread during the strikes.

Never figured out why there were bread shortages specifically though. Any older NSCers out there?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Race said:
The Labour Government ran into difficulties with the industrial disputes, strikes, high unemployment, and collapsing public services during the winter of 1978-9, dubbed the 'Winter of Discontent'. The Conservatives used campaign posters with slogans such as "Labour Isn't Working" to attack the government's record over unemployment and its over-regulation of the labour market.

James Callaghan's Labour government fell after a successful Motion of No Confidence in spring 1979.

In the run up to the 1979 General Election, most opinion polls showed that voters preferred James Callaghan as Prime Minister even as the Conservative Party maintained a lead in the polls. The Conservatives would go on to win a 44-seat majority in the House of Commons and Margaret Thatcher became the United Kingdom's first female Prime Minister. On arriving at 10 Downing Street, she famously said, in a paraphrase of St. Francis of Assisi:

“ Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope."

oh ye of bad memories
:bowdown: :bowdown:
We remember that alright, but what's that got to do with your contention that Britain is a shitpit 28 years later?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I think Gordon Brown is a bloody good chancellor but I have yet to be convinced he'll make anywhere near as good a PM as Blair...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
tedebear said:
I think Gordon Brown is a bloody good chancellor but I have yet to be convinced he'll make anywhere near as good a PM as Blair...
Erm... there's a touch of the 'Name: Sybil Fawlity from Torquay...' about that one.

Of course you'll have no idea what he is going to be like as PM - he hasn't become PM yet.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The Large One said:
Erm... there's a touch of the 'Name: Sybil Fawlity from Torquay...' about that one.

Of course you'll have no idea what he is going to be like as PM - he hasn't become PM yet.

Yes you do, he speaks, he walks, he talks, he's a politician - you've got a fairly good idea how he's going to operate day to day....you just don't know how he's going to work when faced with George Wubble-Ya or Ho Chi Min or whoever...if he's going to make the country look like a right bunch of guppies or not...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Large One said:
We remember that alright, but what's that got to do with your contention that Britain is a shitpit 28 years later?
Nothing, because it's not true.

Hatterlovesbrighton said:
I consider myself a natural conservative supporter, being ever so slightly right of centre in my thinking. But despite being of age for 11 years I've never once voted for them in a national election. I will though vote for David Cameron.

I like him, I really like the fact that he didn't commit to policies early and I like the way that he is pissing off the Tory right.

I'm sure that David Cameron wouldn't like to be compared to it, but really does resemble how Tony Blair sorted out Labour during the rule 4 stuff all those year ago.

Cameron's good at ditching ideas/policies that don't win many votes and/or can never be implemented and identifying issues the public are interested and/or intrique in and setting out his stall.

e.g the environment.

Whilst I can not morally ever support him or that party, he is bringing some fresh air into Westminster.

LC

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is slightly strange to me that Blair has not done more over this term of government to push forward one of his own men to be his successor.

Brown loves to tax and he loves to tinker. He is not decisive and his inter-personal skills are not in Blair's league. Blair must realise that Cameron will appeal to floating voters in the same way that he himself did in 1997.

I do not believe that Gordon Brown, Hilary Benn, Harriet Harman and Allan Johnston will appeal to the public at a General Election.

On the Tory front I think in Hague, David Davis and George Osbourne have got a front bench with appeal, and I DO believe that Cameron will show his hand of policies much more once Brown has declared his own hand.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
London Calling said:
Cameron's good at ditching ideas/policies that don't win many votes and/or can never be implemented and identifying issues the public are interested and/or intrique in and setting out his stall.

e.g the environment.

Whilst I can not morally ever support him or that party, he is bringing some fresh air into Westminster.

LC
But no government has ever governed by consensus. You can win votes and gain power by it, but no-one ever governs by it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hatterlovesbrighton said:

I like him, I really like the fact that he didn't commit to policies early.

How the HELL can that be held up as a good thing. What you're basically saying is that he has no policies, as such. After all, its very much easier to stand back and shoot holes in someone else's ideas than it is to actively come up with solutions of your own.

Has he no balls? Has he no ethics or ideology that he wishes to share with us, so we can actually decide if we like his way of thinking? He's a figurehead. Nothing more, nothing less. 'Call me Dave'. No thanks, I'll just ignore you until you have something worthwhile to contribute.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
tedebear said:

unless you have a pension or expecting a nice onewhen you retire!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Dave the Gaffer said:
unless you have a pension or expecting a nice onewhen you retire!

Not completely his fault to be honest. Although the press would have you think it is, and people love to say Brown cost us how ever many billion or something, but its not entirely the truth.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
hans kraay fan club said:
How the HELL can that be held up as a good thing. What you're basically saying is that he has no policies, as such. After all, its very much easier to stand back and shoot holes in someone else's ideas than it is to actively come up with solutions of your own.

Has he no balls? Has he no ethics or ideology that he wishes to share with us, so we can actually decide if we like his way of thinking? He's a figurehead. Nothing more, nothing less. 'Call me Dave'. No thanks, I'll just ignore you until you have something worthwhile to contribute.
How the hell can you say he has no policies? Of course he does - he'll let rich people keep even more of their money and slash public splending so that schools books will be one between two and NHS users will have to wait 12 months for an operation.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
tedebear said:
Not completely his fault to be honest. Although the press would have you think it is, and people love to say Brown cost us how ever many billion or something, but its not entirely the truth.

ummmm 90% his fault

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here