Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New players

PalG

Nov 22, 2010
Isn't the person that started this thread the same one who told us that we're signing Ollie Johnson ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that TB may have to rethink his wage policy if he wants to bring in somebody who he hopes will get us promotion and then a force next season as obviously the criteria for Div 1 is different to The Championship. We would achieve nothing by signing more run of the mill strikers like we have done so far and if we want a special one be it a Charlie Austin, Charlie McDonald or a Bradley Wright-Philips it will cost money. Rumoured that Lambert wants to leave Southampton at least he can take penalties.

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
Last Jan we signed Calderon, Painter, and I think a couple of others though I can't remember who. The year before that we signed about five players under Adams. They weren't that tedious.

I don't think it's impossible we could sign Austin, just very unlikely.

Sorry, i was referring to the 'special' player, not in general. In the summer their was a special player mentioned and in September, it is tedious.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I think that TB may have to rethink his wage policy if he wants to bring in somebody who he hopes will get us promotion and then a force next season as obviously the criteria for Div 1 is different to The Championship. We would achieve nothing by signing more run of the mill strikers like we have done so far and if we want a special one be it a Charlie Austin, Charlie McDonald or a Bradley Wright-Philips it will cost money. Rumoured that Lambert wants to leave Southampton at least he can take penalties.

Problem is you'll have several players in contract negotiations whose agents will then demand far higher wages than they are currently on. Agree though that unless we have a reliable goalscorer we are going to struggle to maintain our earlier form. And that includes a decent penalty taker. Apart from Zamora the last really decent one for me was Danny Wilson. Watson started okay, but keepers soon started to read him and Hammond was dead poor. Sorry, forgot Forster - I think his only miss was the one Neil Sullivan parried which he then followed up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Think as regards penalties we have got to go for power and above ground level as all keepers dive to a post. Even FCUM keeper said they had studied our penalties and they were all the same and they are a non league team, so obviously league teams have.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A lot has been said about Charlie Austin etc but would the return from playing in The Championship in relation to TV money etc be sufficient to offset any costs to sign a player like him or make a significant contribution towards it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do we want to break our wage structure to chase promotion? Isn't that what we criticise the likes of Pompey for?

As for penalties, I think too much is made of FCUM keeper's comments.
Baz - down the middle,
Battipiedi (as I recall) down the middle (and a little high),
Wood high to the keeper's left,
Wood low to the keeper's left.
That's a third of our penalties that didn't go to the keeper's right. Two of them were scored. That leaves eight to the right (four of them scored). We seem to have a 50% success rate with penalties whether we go left, right or straight down the middle. The southampton keeper saved one going to his left. The problem isn't that "we always go to the keeper's right". The problem is that they aren't hit with power, or whichever direction they go, they are put in a place that the keeper has a good chance of getting to them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
FCUM keeper wouldnt have expected to face a kick from Baz or Batipedie unless in a shoot out. Nor Wood who was unable to play so that means he summed up the situation as regards our penalty takers correctly. The best I have seen us take in recent years has been Elphicks in shoot out, I think it was at Millwall and Sparrow at Woking. The biggest problem is like yesterday the refs and linos are not doing their job as most keepers are moving before the kick is taken, until that is sorted out the goalkeepers have the advantage of moving forward to narrow the angle.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FCUM keeper wouldnt have expected to face a kick from Baz or Batipedie unless in a shoot out. Nor Wood who was unable to play so that means he summed up the situation as regards our penalty takers correctly. .

Totally wrong. Had he not just been substituted, Barnes would have taken it. He has taken two - BOTH scored, and BOTH the the keeper's LEFT.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Problem is you'll have several players in contract negotiations whose agents will then demand far higher wages than they are currently on. Agree though that unless we have a reliable goalscorer we are going to struggle to maintain our earlier form. And that includes a decent penalty taker. Apart from Zamora the last really decent one for me was Danny Wilson. Watson started okay, but keepers soon started to read him and Hammond was dead poor. Sorry, forgot Forster - I think his only miss was the one Neil Sullivan parried which he then followed up.

Sorry, but that is UTTER nonsense. Whatever people's views are, of Hammonds strengths and weaknesses, Hammond was an EXCELLENT penalty taker. You KNEW he was going to score, every time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Totally wrong. Had he not just been substituted, Barnes would have taken it. He has taken two - BOTH scored, and BOTH the the keeper's LEFT.

Perhaps the keeper was only talking about the players on the field and that he had been told what to expect if Barnes took it. Irrespective of that we need to put some power on the ball wherever we kick it. If it is hard at least the keeper may not make a clean save and knock it back into play for another chance. This does not detract from my view that in most instances of all penalties taken that are saved the keepers move earlier than they should.

Just seen the Gomez save on the news which echoes my point.mind you Spurs are my favourite Premiership side so I was pleased the ref missed it.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Keepers are allowed to move whnever they like, now though, so long as they don't move FORWARDS.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
FCUM keeper wouldnt have expected to face a kick from Baz or Batipedie unless in a shoot out. Nor Wood who was unable to play so that means he summed up the situation as regards our penalty takers correctly.

He wouldn't have expected to face one from bennett, either, since he hadn't taken one since his miss v peterborough, and with Barnes still on the pitch^ (who had become our regular penalty taker until he was not on the pitch for wood).

But my point was more about the response of people on here. The FCUM keeper said we always go to the keeper's right. Everyone on here has taken that as gospel and several are saying we just need to stop putting them to the keeper's right. I'm saying he was as wrong about that as Radio sussex were with their stats yesterday. At least four* of ours have not gone to the keeper's right, and we only scored half of those four. Not going to the keeper's right is not the cure all so many on here seem to think it is.

*Just going from memory, HKFC seems to think barnes put both of his to the keeper's left, too, meaning only half of our penalties went to the right, and that would include a couple that went high right. Leaving only four of the twelve that went where the FCUM keeper says all of them go.

Chances are, fcum's keeper saw the penalty shoot out ad just guessed his right, and is using that shootout as his basis for us always going to the right. Doesn't matter. My point is: we're not failing to convert our penalties simply because we always go to the right, I know this because we don't always go to the right, and have missed them going left and central.

^Barnes played the full 90 minutes v FC united at withdean. He was on the pitch, it is reported "he just didn't feel like taking it".

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Keepers are allowed to move whnever they like, now though, so long as they don't move FORWARDS.
That is the point they all throw themselves forward and to the side. The FCUM keeper virtually could have caught the ball on the edge of the 6yd box he was so far forward.

I think the first was either Paul Cooper of Ipswich or even Peter Bonnetti of Chelsea who started doing this.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Barnes hadn't been subbed, if you check out the replay you might see him turn his back and walk away for some unkown reason when the penalty is awarded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here