Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Players

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm not overly fussed about whether we sign a new keeper or not, but if we do then it must be someone who won't use up much of the wage budget. One of my biggest gripes with Henderson, along with the fact he was a useless tosser, was that having him meant we were paying two keepers good money when only one can ever play. I would say make Sullivan number 2, or if not find a fairly young keeper with some experience to challenge Kuipers.

More importantly, a central midfielder and a right winger are absolute necessities if we are to be a decent team. Sadly, I think we will have to make do with one or the other.

I didn't particularly like Henderson, but he wasn't a useless tosser, and for you to say as much shows what an enlightened chap you are. Next time you speak to michel ask him what he thought of Henderson! I'll think you'll find that they didn't see eye to eye mainly because Henserson was/is a good keeper. Try and be sensible, hero worship is one thing being a knob is another. We do need experienced cover for Michel as he does get injured hence why DW got cover in last season.

You are right on the CM, however I don't think Reid is up to fighting in the trenches hence he'll be on the right. Hinsh could do the job in CM but we do need the cover.

Now that everyone has written of Robinson I reckon he'll have a good season.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
And anyone recall if he's any good there?

Yes, and no.

If we're relying on Hinsh and El Abd to play in midfield, we're in deep shit. Even with Reid, we need a defensive midfielder to replace Bertin ... Reidy isn't really a holding player.

And a new number one, of course.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
What about young Chamberlain? He should be pushing for a place in the 1st team squad this season.He's supposed to be a creative midfielder isn't he?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I wouldn't worry too much about having no real cover for FDM, in case he does suffer an injury, most clubs in the divisions above us will have a spare keeper or two that we could get in on loan at relatively short notice...we have done this in the past and could do again.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My only dislike of Hendo would come from the way he left us, he thought that he was bigger than the club, threw his teddies and flounced big time...we are better off without players like that for the disruptive influence they can have on the team (aka Leon Knight)...on the playing side, he wasn't a bad keeper and certainly had youth on his side to develop into a very good one, it was just that he was impatient. Yes he made a few mistakes, unfortunately most of them cost us points, most players do that when they are learning the game but it is often more obvious with a goalie when the ball ends up in the back of the net.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I thought we had enough Hendo v Kuipers debates last season.

The answer is simple.... When Kuipers wanted out....no other club wanted him, went Hendo was available he was snapped up by a club in a higher division, pushing for a place in the prem.

Think that answers it all really

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

The answer is simple.... When Kuipers wanted out....no other club wanted him, went Hendo was available he was snapped up by a club in a higher division, pushing for a place in the prem.

That summed up the situation perfectly. The only slight discrepancy is that lower clubs wanted Kuipers but were not prepared to pay for him i.e Boston who are now in ......?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A good team should always have 3 keepers capable of 1st team, when one of them is as injury prone as Kuipers.

Loan market as and when necessary...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
2 BIG downers this pre season are the that the Franny Jeffers to Ipswich deal has fallen throuth so I think it is unlikely that they'll will allow Bowditch to leave. Also we have given Kuipers a contract, WHY??? Lets hope for all our sakes that we manage to persuade another keeper to join before the season starts.

Why? Have you watched the mighty FDM's performances for us? His contribution, when he has been given the chance to play, has been enormous...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
God I hope not. He was ok in his 1st spell with us but he has aged and won't be as productive. Leave well alone

Have to agree his career has declined since he left us, but would think he was worth a trial... would definitely plug one of the midfield gaps we have if he can reclaim his earlier form...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I know what you're saying, but it's not "hero worship." I genuinely thought Henderson was useless - the proof being he cost us goals, made the whole defence look nervous, and couldn't command a drink in a pub, let alone a penalty area. He was a tosser because of the way he left us. That's my thinking. Even if Michel was the shittest goalie on earth, my opinion of Henderson wouldn't have been any different. Anyway, agreed on the midfield stuff:thumbsup:

Have to agree with that re Hendo... one of the most over-rated players ever to pull on the No.1 shirt for Brighton, IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

In my opinion, it doesn't... I prefer to judge players by what I see... over the years, the FDM has performed consistently well for the Albion... Hendo was a fcuking liability and cost us valuable points...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That summed up the situation perfectly. The only slight discrepancy is that lower clubs wanted Kuipers but were not prepared to pay for him i.e Boston who are now in ......?

The ONLY reason for this is the FDM's injury record... as for Hendo, Preston were MUGGED by the Albion...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here