Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New pie at the Amex this weekend

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, and here's a tip. My money is going on Piglets Pantry for Sussex Business of the Year 2012 at them Sussex Business Awards thingy.

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
The Co-Op is f***ing SHIT. Everywhere.

Lewes Road = shit
Kemp Town = shit
London Road = beyond shit

You're not wrong. They seem to be OBSESSED with cramming as many aisles into each shop as is physically possible. AND YET, these cramped tiny aisles never seem to have anything you want in them. They're so f***ing NARROW that if you dare to take a basket with you, you have to hold it out in front of you as there isn't the room to carry it by your side. And should you be unfortunate enough to encounter another person then it's like backing an HGV out of a Cul-de-Sac.

The one on St James' Street DOUBLED in size earlier this year, after they took over the pub next door, but despite its large size, it's as cramped as ever in there. PLUS they never allow ANY space for people queuing for the tills, which is ALL THE TIME since they never have enough staff on. This means there are always bucketlooads of grumpy people snaking down the aisles whilst you're trying to find the f***ing BISCUITS they're in the way of.

AND ANOTHER THING, do Co-Op run some care in the community scheme whereby they only hire staff who FAILED to make it as a trolley boy for Asda? They are always WITHOUT FAIL the most inept, incompetent, slow and UGLY staff imaginable.

I find Co-Op an absolute CHORE and will only ever use it as a last resort.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The suits won't even let you into the London Road branch these days unless you fall into one of these categories:

1. You're using crutches, one is preferable to a pair
2. You're on income support and have just come from Boots next door having picked up your methadone
3. You're an alcoholic coming in for your daily White Lightning fix
4. You're a pensioner wheeling a sholley come to see what going out of date goods have been marked down for quick sale.
5. You're an Albion fan looking to read the back pages of the Arsegas but with no intention of buying the paper.
6. You've tied at least one mangy dog up outside.

7. You have mental health issues and want to push a trolley around all day whilst shouting at people.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The new Co-op is a Southern Co-op and has nothing to do with any other coop in Brighton & Hove. Most Co-ops are shit, but Southern Co-ops are generally a lot better run than the shit Manchester based ones.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The suits won't even let you into the London Road branch these days unless you fall into one of these categories:

1. You're using crutches, one is preferable to a pair
2. You're on income support and have just come from Boots next door having picked up your methadone
3. You're an alcoholic coming in for your daily White Lightning fix
4. You're a pensioner wheeling a sholley come to see what going out of date goods have been marked down for quick sale.
5. You're an Albion fan looking to read the back pages of the Arsegas but with no intention of buying the paper.
6. You've tied at least one mangy dog up outside.

I used to work in one, and it's f***ing hilarious just how genuinely accurate that list is.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And further up, you have the natural extension to what comes after 'beyond shit' - the Mitre Tavern.

HB&B likes it in there - he said so.

Hey, the Mitre Tavern is a decent pub. It serves well-kept Harveys, very reasonably priced. It's got friendly bar staff and a decent mix of customers. Admittedly, you won't get soya milk cappuccinos or rare Albanian stouts (© Ponce Mohammed Buzzer) but it's a decent, old-fashioned backstreet boozer. Definitely in my top 10 of Brighton pubs.

And the Co-op on London Road is OK. Not the best choice but I had to pick up a few things last night and was in and out of the store in about three minutes, you couldn't do that in Sainsburys. The in-store music is normally pretty good too with a regular sprinkling of 60s soul stuff.

I may be biased though. I was once a deputy manager of a Co-op store and have affection for the old place - there were never many suits to staff in my day.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
wasnt there a manky old barber shop along there, too?

beats me how 'elf n safety' didn't shut the place down.

Coopers : it was a pound for a haircut , then it went up to £1.20 , and the greedy bugger died soon after that shocking increase.

It was a terrible hole inside , and surely in breach of all sorts of regulations .
He was also famously foul mouthed.

I went there regularly.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Coopers : it was a pound for a haircut , then it went up to £1.20 , and the greedy bugger died soon after that shocking increase.

It was a terrible hole inside , and surely in breach of all sorts of regulations .
He was also famously foul mouthed.

I went there regularly.
So did I! £1.20 for a haircut, can't beat that. It had little hand-written signs up saying not to moan about the waiting time, and it always stunk of cats piss. And you're right about the foul-mouthed, I was in there once and there was a bit of a fuss as he'd just thrown out a disabled chap in a wheelchair. He was telling his other customer "I don't want no cripples in here, the wheelchairs ruin the lino."

And I agree with Gwylan, the Mitre does a great pint and the chippie and pie shops are excellent as well. Never been in the curry house. The whole London Road area gets a very bad rap IMO.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I quite like the Mitre - its an old fashioned back street pub and doesnt pretend to be anything other than that. Although now I know HB&B goes there it may well have gone down hill since i last went :D

Its always great fun being the away team in a darts match. I played there once and was just about to beat their captain when he mysteriously got a phone call. I waited patiently why he answered his phone, took the call, then I finished on 97 with two darts and took the half off him before going out back for a waz to find his mate who had popped out to call him.

Too many pretentious, over complicated poncy pubs in Brighton as it is. There are some real hidden gems out there that need supporting

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hey, the Mitre Tavern is a decent pub. It serves well-kept Harveys, very reasonably priced. It's got friendly bar staff and a decent mix of customers. Admittedly, you won't get soya milk cappuccinos or rare Albanian stouts (© Ponce Mohammed Buzzer) but it's a decent, old-fashioned backstreet boozer. Definitely in my top 10 of Brighton pubs.

And the Co-op on London Road is OK. Not the best choice but I had to pick up a few things last night and was in and out of the store in about three minutes, you couldn't do that in Sainsburys. The in-store music is normally pretty good too with a regular sprinkling of 60s soul stuff.

I may be biased though. I was once a deputy manager of a Co-op store and have affection for the old place - there were never many suits to staff in my day.

I always feel I need a bath if I've just walked down Baker Street.

If it's a boozer I'm after, I'll head to the Cleveland. Not too many frills there.

Last edited:

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
And I agree with Gwylan, the Mitre does a great pint and the chippie and pie shops are excellent as well. Never been in the curry house. The whole London Road area gets a very bad rap IMO.

I don't think anyone has ever been in that curry house. It's always empty. The Mitre is a decent old fashioned boozer. Makes for a decent halfway stop on the way home from town before the walk up Ditchling Road.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
...the chippie and pie shops are excellent as well. Never been in the curry house. The whole London Road area gets a very bad rap IMO.

Forgot Bardsley's - another great gem. And the pie shop does the traditional Sussex beano. I've had a take-away from the curry house, it was pretty disappointing.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Forgot Bardsley's - another great gem. And the pie shop does the traditional Sussex beano. I've had a take-away from the curry house, it was pretty disappointing.

The Chilka House is pretty decent normally, nice for a sit down meal certainly. I know a few people who swear by it, including my picky father.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here