Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Paula Radcliffe t-shirt

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
its just the way society is Desert, you cant please everyone and there will always be a Looney lurking around every corner ;)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm well up for a joke and taking the piss, but thats not even funny :nono:

the whole marathon was a bit of a farce I thought, the timing was changed at the insistence of American TV it was suppose to be ran in the morning berfore it got too hot apparently, hats off to the Jap lady though, hung in there somehow

PR has nothing to prove, her career record speaks for itself

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
her record does speak for itself - when the pressure is off and the conditions are right she does well - in competiiton against a world class field she is a gallant loser - nice girl and all that but she clearly didnt prepare properly.

How many medals does she have? European gold when the best runners were obviously not there and a few silvers from the World's. She doesnt win when it counts.

I thought yesterday's commentary was a disgrace. The conditions were the same for everyone and she couldnt hack it. Perhaps if she had run a race like the American and conserved her energy for the much easier second half then it would be a different story. Obviously if she had won there would be none of the recriminations about the start time, the state of the course, the fact that she is a much better runner than everyone who best her etc.

At least she was honest herself though.

Before the race, the Japanese coach said, when it wassuggested to him that Radcliffe would win, 'Remeber, this is a summer marathon'. Paula Radcliffe has never run, let alone won, a summer marathon. Why did everybody think she was going to win?

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
This one's a classic though:

Celery

Celery.gif_200.gif

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think it's totally out of order and therefore quite funny.

I gather her pre marathon training was laying on a sun bed and saying "cor will Greece be hotter than this".

LC

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brilliant.

She's a disgrace, makes us British look stupid. Even seen an Australian or German athlete pull over like that?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Pavilionaire said:
Brilliant.

She's a disgrace, makes us British look stupid. Even seen an Australian or German athlete pull over like that?

well yes actually...look out for the german non-finisher...

-Paula Radcliffe (Gbr) Did not finish
- Margaret Okayo (Ken) Did not finish
- Ulrike Maisch (Ger) Did not finish
- Monika Drybulska (Pol) Did not finish
- Bong Sil Ham (PRK) Did not finish
- Rakiya Maraoui Quetier (Fra) Did not finish
- Nasria Azaidj (Alg) Did not finish
- Marcia Narloch (Bra) Did not finish
- Marlene Fortunato (Bra) Did not finish
- Asha Gigi (Eth) Did not finish
- Lidia Simon (Rom) Did not finish
- Nadia Ejjafini (Brn) Did not finish
- Banuelia Mrashani (Tan) Did not finish
- Workenesh Tola (Eth) Did not finish
- Lale Ozturk (Tur) Did not finish
- Irina Bogachova (Kir) Did not finish

The BBC have just shown an interview of her. She comes across like a complete emotional basketcase. Not too many champions are made of stuff like that.

That the BBC carried out a hushed-tones interview and are treating this like a national tragedy is hilarious! Typical overreaction that makes British sport a laughing stock around the world.

There doesn't appear to be any obvious injury.

She will only recover widespread respect if she lines up now on Friday in the 10K and gives it a go.

If she fails because of the heat, then fair dos, people will say she gave it a go and she will recover respect for being a fighter.

But to just quit because your race plan was overambitious and you got passed by the bronze medalist, she won't want to be remembered for that.

So come on, Paula, give it a go, you've nothing to lose and everything to win.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When she just stopped, apparently uninjured, I was annoyed with her, then I felt sorry for her. Now the dust has settled I agree with the view, 'Paul Radcliffe - quitter' because that's exactly what she is. The overriding impression is of someone who believed her pre-race 'favorite' publicity and when she realised that she wasn't going to get any medal, in fact was going to finish lower than she did in Sydney, decided just to give up.

Leaving aside the doe-eyed "Oh Paula you're such a hero!" commentators if she wants to win back some respect then she MUST do the 10,000. She doesn't have to win but it would be nice to see her make a bit of an effort and not just give up in an emotional strop.

And no, I couldn't do it but that's not the point. I haven't been training and working towards it. I think putting it on a T-shirt is a bit OTT but I won't be complaining about it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
London Irish - I agree 100% with you, shock horror. I am worried I am morphing into you.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You lot are so bitchy!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here