Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Paula Radcliffe t-shirt

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
ShorehamGull said:
Concerning the Paula Ratcliffe T-Shirt, utterley disgraceful, sent an email to the company complaining about it.

Ahh this could be the reason...

larus

Lammy. That is spot on.

She wanted to win. She went to win. She gave her all to try to win and the conditions took there toll on her.

When she knew she didn't have anything left to give, she was sensible enough not to carry on (I don't know if she could have done and ended up 12th or whatever, but that's not important).

Now, she gets called a quitter becuase she KNEW she couldn't challenge any more. She'd tried but her body failed on THAT day, in THOSE conditions, on THAT course.

As for being burnt out, she was burnt out by the event, not because she'd had to play a game of football every week for 40 weeks. Big difference.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Stumpy Tim said:
Now that's a stupid comparison. Me completing the marathon was like her winning it - we have different expectations. I wanted to beat 4 hours, and missed it by 4 minutes. When I realised I was going to miss my target time I didn't stop, I carried on running as various cartoon characters passed me. I had my family there cheering me on, she had GB fans cheering her on.

Completing the marathon was a big thing, as many people on NSC will tell you. To suggest we would try & win it is plain ridiculous. It does your argument no service.

You weren't running to your absolute maximum. That is my point. You may have set yourself a target time which you FAILED. But it is not the be all and end all is it? Your bragging rights down the pub are that you completed the marathon. Well done btw. But you were the one that brought this comparison into the fray. Your point was, well if I can complete the marathon then so could she. Well that bollocks really isn't it. For a start you were running in England, not in Greece in the heat of the day on mid August! You had a tartget time to run and were not running against anyone. The greek circuit is harder due to a massive climb in it. The climb which PR got to the top of before she collapsed. There are lots of St Johns Amulances around the London Marathon picking up people that keel over. They are not quitters, they simply reached their physical limits. Every one has a limit, including PR and yourself. Paula reached hers but you did not. Next time you run the marathon try doing it in 3.5 hrs and someone can give you a rubber suit to wear. When you keel over and get taken away in an ambulance I will call you a quitter and critisise your training.

Hardly fair as you would have been giving it your absolute best and the fact that you were prepared to push yourself to the point where you collpase is a testiment to your character. Not that you slow down just to complete the race.

-edit-

plus add to that that you need to run another race the next week!

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Stumpy Tim said:
There's only one way to resolve this. Let's all run a marathon & whoever wins is right

:lolol: I like the way you think.

Any one remember Derek Redmond. this is what the Olympics MEANS to a true athlete

This from the Olympics web-sire under the heading Heroes (don't see Quitter Ratcliffe getting the same plaudits somehow)

Derek Redmond's running career was frustrated by injury. In 1988, Redmond was forced to withdraw from the opening heat of the Olympic 400m contest only two minutes before the race was scheduled to begin. By the time of the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, he had undergone five operations, including one on his Achilles tendon less than four months before the Games began. In Barcelona, everything seemed to be coming together for Redmond at last. He was running well: he recorded the fastest time of the first round and he won his quarterfinal heat. As he settled into the blocks for the start of his semifinal race, Redmond's thoughts turned to his father, Jim, and the support he had always given Derek. Derek got off to a clean start and was running smoothly when, about 150m into the race, his right hamstring muscle tore and he fell to the ground. When he saw the stretcher-bearers rushing towards him, he knew he had to finish the race. Redmond jumped up and began hobbling forward despite the pain he felt. His father ran out of the stands and joined him on the track. Hand in hand, with Derek sobbing, they continued. Just before the finish, Jim let go of his son and Derek completed the course on his own, as the crowd of 65,000 gave him a standing ovation.

:clap: :clap2: :clap2:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Storer68 said:
Any one remember Derek Redmond. this is what the Olympics MEANS to a true athlete

This from the Olympics web-sire under the heading Heroes (don't see Quitter Ratcliffe getting the same plaudits somehow)

Derek Redmond's running career was frustrated by injury. In 1988, Redmond was forced to withdraw from the opening heat of the Olympic 400m contest only two minutes before the race was scheduled to begin. By the time of the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, he had undergone five operations, including one on his Achilles tendon less than four months before the Games began. In Barcelona, everything seemed to be coming together for Redmond at last. He was running well: he recorded the fastest time of the first round and he won his quarterfinal heat. As he settled into the blocks for the start of his semifinal race, Redmond's thoughts turned to his father, Jim, and the support he had always given Derek. Derek got off to a clean start and was running smoothly when, about 150m into the race, his right hamstring muscle tore and he fell to the ground. When he saw the stretcher-bearers rushing towards him, he knew he had to finish the race. Redmond jumped up and began hobbling forward despite the pain he felt. His father ran out of the stands and joined him on the track. Hand in hand, with Derek sobbing, they continued. Just before the finish, Jim let go of his son and Derek completed the course on his own, as the crowd of 65,000 gave him a standing ovation.

:clap: :clap2: :clap2:

PR had another 6km to go! Not sure Redman would have made that...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember Derek Redmond being helped round by his father. Must say I did feel far more sympathy for him than Paula Radcliffe but it was the 2nd time he had broken down at the Olympics. I think he was briefly married to Sharon Davis and the reception was at Amberley Castle ( saw that in the Amberley Castle publicity I think).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Of course, Radcliffe was quite a long way furthur from the end than 250m and was in the middle of nowhere, not in a stadium with 65,000 people in it.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Bollocks, she did the right thing, if you're the record holder and realise you're not going to win then for christs sake give up.Whats the point in running 4 more pointless miles? She wasn't there like the other English girls to enjoy the occasion and prove personals goals, she was there at the business end of it, getting Gold for the newly financed Team GB.When she realised it wasn't going to happen i'd like to think she was planning for the 10'000 metres.

She'll have watched Kelly last night and hopefully she'll be pumped up on anger and win.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
MidlandSeagull69 said:
just went to order my t-shirt after tonights performance but its not on sale anymore, anyone know where i can get one?

You'll look cool as f*** in one of those.
Everyone will think you're such a wag!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here