Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Keeper

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Surely F**k off Poke? and Brez moves to third choice?

Why so - Poke didn't feature today (as far as I could see or hear) but would probably have been better than those who did.

If it was Poke who came on second half then I retract.

Last edited:

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I was a goalkeeper for many years and i played at a very good level. I have watched both and the pair of them give me the creeps.

Casper is very good on the floor, he is just like having an xtra sweeper, but when it comes to crosses and high balls the guy is lacking. I still cant forgive him for staying rooted to his line when Posh scored at withers last season. Anything in the 6 yrd box is the keepers, but not our Casper and for a guy of his height, its not good.

Poor old brez. His confidence is shot to ribbons. He is so much better in the air than Casper, but he is awful with his feet. You can tell that he is shit scared of taking a back pass. His body language says it all.
I watched Brez at Gillingham away last season. I was stood behind him and he played very well. His positioning and speed off his line were good, but its gone sadly.

Casper played a huge part last season, but we need better.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the Brez and Casper are of a similar standard overall, their strengths and weaknesses are in different areas. For the first goal I wasn't impressed with Casper's positioning and ability with crosses close to the goal (he got lucky with one flap early in the game), with the second the ball seemed to go straight through him, and needed the crossbar to save him at one poin. Brez gave the ball away twice, the first time he tried to take his time and was closed down, he harried the spurs player and cleared the ball making up for his mistake. He then conceded that howler when he rushed his clearance, and at the game I thought he seeme to not bother trying, but seeing the highlights on ssn I can see the spurs player took longer than one would expect, and brez did at least make a movement to start trying to block. Yes, it's a silly error that professional goalkeepers should never make, but there are lots of mistakes that professional goalkeepers shouldn't make yet they do. Let us not forget, he also made a great save.

Brez's biggest problem is he just isn't comfortable with the all at his feet, which for the style we play is a significant problem. I argued several times last season that he would benefit from a run of competitive games playing in this style to get used to it. Casper wasn't the most comfortable early last season, but he grew into it. I still think if Brez had a run in goal he would find his feet and would make fewer mistakes, but surely they should be working on improving this weakness in training? I know it's one thing to do something in training and another thing to do it in a match (we often hear on here how in training poke is the best keeper), but surely there would be some improvement?

Brezovan excuse merchants please explain.
Why does Poyet insist that Calamity Brez is good enough for The Championship?
Why were Spurs supporters laughing about him outside the Stadium?
Why is he one of the worst Keepers this club have had since 1971?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Its how Brezavan reacts to the blunder that is important.......and all keepers make mistakes,so can we please not destroy him ......

He won't have a chance to react for a very long time. As for Ankergren, as I have said before Leeds dumped him as soon as they got to the Championship, he's good with his feet, but useless under pressure.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Have to say I thought we were good enough all over the pitch today, with the exception of the two keepers. Brezovan's mistake was just that, but the second goal was down to a fundamental flaw. Lua Lua took the ball off the Spurs player and everyone waited for the keeper to plant it in Row Z. Ankegren sadly was like Zilly from Stop the Pigeon. His knees were knocking and his teeth were chattering whilst he was trying to crawl away from underneath his coat. Not good I'm afraid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the Brez and Casper are of a similar standard overall, their strengths and weaknesses are in different areas. For the first goal I wasn't impressed with Casper's positioning and ability with crosses close to the goal (he got lucky with one flap early in the game), with the second the ball seemed to go straight through him, and needed the crossbar to save him at one poin. Brez gave the ball away twice, the first time he tried to take his time and was closed down, he harried the spurs player and cleared the ball making up for his mistake. He then conceded that howler when he rushed his clearance, and at the game I thought he seeme to not bother trying, but seeing the highlights on ssn I can see the spurs player took longer than one would expect, and brez did at least make a movement to start trying to block. Yes, it's a silly error that professional goalkeepers should never make, but there are lots of mistakes that professional goalkeepers shouldn't make yet they do. Let us not forget, he also made a great save.

Brez's biggest problem is he just isn't comfortable with the all at his feet, which for the style we play is a significant problem. I argued several times last season that he would benefit from a run of competitive games playing in this style to get used to it. Casper wasn't the most comfortable early last season, but he grew into it. I still think if Brez had a run in goal he would find his feet and would make fewer mistakes, but surely they should be working on improving this weakness in training? I know it's one thing to do something in training and another thing to do it in a match (we often hear on here how in training poke is the best keeper), but surely there would be some improvement?

You just saved me from a lot of typing. Agree with every word.

We do have to remember who they were up against today. VDV, Modric, Defoe, Bale... A lot of prem keepers struggle with them so let's put it in perspective.

HOWEVER, that being said, none of our keepers inspired confidence today. Ankergren was better but still poor.

Modric wasn't there and VdV had gone off well before they scored, so that's not the issue.

Ankergren could have done better with both of the first two, but the defending wasn't great either. Brezovan may as well have stuck it on a plate. For me Brez hasn't looked good enough for over a year and we need to replace him.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Unfortunately, we need to sign a quality keeper.

I saw Poke at in the scc cup final and he was absolutely dreadful, missing crosses and making errors.

Brezovan is just not good enough. We all remember the howler at Wycombe, practically throwing the Stoke game away single-handedly and today, well, what to add?

Ankergren is great at distributing the ball and shot stopping. But he flaps at practically every single ball that comes into the box and is in no way dominating. You cannot get away with this at championship+ level.

We have got to sort this out as the keepers have cost us winning the game today.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For me Brez hasn't looked good enough for over a year and we need to replace him.

Ignoring pre-season, Brez has played nine games in the past 12 months. Hardly conducive to finding and maintaining form, is it?

With pre-season we're talking new teams, changing line ups, half games, lack of fitness, again, not conducive to finding and maintaining form.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Call me a bit sad, but I love the debate about goalkeepers. We've had such conversations about them down the years, Michel Kuipers was our undisputed number 1 for so long his position wasn't really in any doubt. Now we have two goalkeepers to pick from. Personally, I think Ankergren is a better all rounder and I've never rated Brezovan, though he has performed well for us. Ideally, I would like to see us sign another goalkeeper and move Brezovan on. But Poyet doesn't agree with me.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Quoted by Acker79

Brez's biggest problem is he just isn't comfortable with the 'b'all at his feet, which for the style we play is a significant problem. I argued several times last season that he would benefit from a run of competitive games playing in this style to get used to it. Casper wasn't the most comfortable early last season, but he grew into it. I still think if Brez had a run in goal he would find his feet and would make fewer mistakes, but surely they should be working on improving this weakness in training?

So it seems we should just give both of them a few more weeks and more coaching and everything will be just fine.

Bollocks, by late autumn we will be deep in the sh1t and have no recourse to replacing both of these numpties before the transfer window in January. Well, with all due respect, by that time, it will have been a season wasted (if not by that time just trying to stave off relegation.

Today absolutely reinforced my point of view.

Sorry to point out what was glaringly obvious not only today but all of last season.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A lot of over reaction going on here, I honestly think Ankegren deserves better from us. We are still in pre-season, all keepers make mistakes and I cant remember anymore from Casper than any other keeper.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Jury is out for me with Casper, Brez can do one though as Poke would be a better option.

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth

I saw Poke at in the scc cup final and he was absolutely dreadful, missing crosses and making errors.

Brezovan is just not good enough. We all remember the howler at Wycombe, practically throwing the Stoke game away single-handedly and today, well, what to add?

Ankergren is great at distributing the ball and shot stopping. But he flaps at practically every single ball that comes into the box and is in no way dominating. You cannot get away with this at championship+ level.

We have got to sort this out as the keepers have cost us winning the game today.

110% agree!!!

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
A lot of over reaction going on here, I honestly think Ankegren deserves better from us. We are still in pre-season, all keepers make mistakes and I cant remember anymore from Casper than any other keeper.

Not over reacting at all. They have both got flaws. It may well be pre season, but both were doing the same thing last season, its just that the opposition weren't as good.

We may well score plenty this season, but if its not sorted we will be letting a few in.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2

110% agree!!!

i concur!!!

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Both were very poor today i was not impressed, a new quality goal keeper is sorley needed a bit pronto.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here