Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New iPhone

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Don't know if anyone is interested, but the WWDC conference, Apple's big 'do' has just announced details of the new iPhone. Pinched from the macrumors.com blog:

12:01 pm In the US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, UK. A week later, 6 more countries. Many more to come this summer
12:01 pm The iPhone 3GS will be available on June 19th.
12:01 pm The iPhone 3G 8GB will be available for $99 today.
12:00 pm Apple wants the iPhone to be more affordable. The existing 8GB iPhone 3G will remain -- for $99.
12:00 pm Those are AT&T prices for new and qualifying customers; may vary elsewhere. Comes in black and white, as before.
11:59 am $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB.
11:59 am Ships with iPhone OS 3.0 for $199.
11:58 am Most eco-friendly iPhone yet -- arsenic-free glass, BRF-free, mercury-free LCD, etc.
11:58 am Improved battery life. Now up to 9 hours of internet surfing, 10 hours of video, 30 hours of audio, 12 hours of 2g talk-time, 5 hours of 3g talk-time.
11:57 am Instant remote wipe, encrypted iTunes backups.
11:57 am Something business have asked for -- data encryption, which iPhone 3GS supports.
11:56 am Support for Nike+
11:56 am New accessibility options -- VoiceOver for content and controls, zooming, color inversion, mono audio, etc.
11:55 am New compass app shows your orientation, integration with Maps -- if you double click, the map will reorientate itself.
11:55 am Also -- a digital compass.
11:55 am You can also ask "what's playing now?" and it will tell you. Or say "play more songs like this" and a genius playlist will be built.
11:54 am With the iPhone 3GS, you hold down the home button for a second and a voice control interface is brought up. Simply say things like "Call Scott Forstall" -- if there are more than one entries, it will ask which one you wanted (i.e. home, office, etc) -- or "play The Killers"

Sure more details will be announced, but I think there's enough there to justify me getting one rather than one of the free iphone deals that are out there at the minute from O2 (have a bottom of the line Nokia so looking to improve on that a bit).

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
They didn't hang around!

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but there actually isn't really that much new is there?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They didn't hang around!

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but there actually isn't really that much new is there?

They never do - new product always appears in the Apple Store when announced.

I think there's quite a lot that's new, but there's nothing really that wasn't expected. Most of this stuff had been anticipated.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
They didn't hang around!

Nah pretty underwhelming to be honest.

Rumours have been pretty much bang on apart from the inclusion of an iSight.

A compass?? WTF!

Battery life improvement will please allot of people (myself included).

Personally I'm more interested in the OS update, but that was demo'd back in March so nothing said today that I didn't already know.

I hear a couple of demos failed too....very un-Apple like!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I think I might go for one this time round. The new software and hardware brings it inline with my requirements and I'm due an upgrade next month so good timing. Just sold my n95 8gb for 150 and will sell my iPod touch too so shouldn't be out of pocket either.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I reckon it looks a complete waste of money go go out and purchase the new phone itself. The 3.0 software that we can download onto the existing iphone from 17th June will keep me going until the next launch which, I'm sure, wont be too far away.
Someone has mentioned that the connections may all be different with the new iphone so that may mean all the current accessories will be defunct or need adaptors.
I'm hearing £450 odd quid for the 32gb new phone.....twice as much as our friends over the pond have to pay.
Sit tight methinks.....

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
When does the new OS come out for the iPhone that is available now.

The only thing that annoys me with it, is that you cant send MMS messages or forward any text messages. I hope this is resolved with the new OS. Not to fussed about 1million mega pix less of camera or video recording capabilities, so wont need to look at upgrading to this new thing just yet

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

The only thing that annoys me with it, is that you cant send MMS messages or forward any text messages. I hope this is resolved with the new OS. Not to fussed about 1million mega pix less of camera or video recording capabilities, so wont need to look at upgrading to this new thing just yet

Same here, not overly bothered about MMS but the forwarding of text messages is a very basic function they missed off annoyingly.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

17th June I have read

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

June 17th

The only thing that annoys me with it, is that you cant send MMS messages or forward any text messages. I hope this is resolved with the new OS.

Both are, along with copy a paste within native apps.

Tethering was the big thing I was holding out for but it would seem o2 are going to support it (unlike AT&T in the states) but will charge you £15 a month for the privilege!

Push notifications will be interesting to see how much it affects the battery life.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

I still can't quite work out how come such a futuristic and insanely user-friendly bit of kit as the iPhone could be launched without something as basic as the ability to cut and paste text. There must have been a massive "oh shit we've forgotten something" moment somewhere.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tethering was the big thing I was holding out for but it would seem o2 are going to support it (unlike AT&T in the states) but will charge you £15 a month for the privilege!

Push notifications will be interesting to see how much it affects the battery life.
For the techy simpletons amongst us, what are tethering and push notifications?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Looks good. To be honest, I still don't think that nearly 2 years after the first one was revealed, anything has even come close. Perhaps that new Palm Pre thing.. But the software on the iPhone is literally over a year ahead of anyone else.

Comparing it to the top of the range brand new Nokia/Sony/Samsung handsets is almost embarassing... the OS is soo much better!

I'll probably get one of the new ones eventually, but not in a massive rush to do so..

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
For the techy simpletons amongst us, what are tethering and push notifications?

Push is basically the ability to get sent notifications (like new a email) without having to check to see if you've got one.. if that makes sense.

It means that all the applications like Facebook can tell you as soon as you get a new message or friend request without you having to open it up.

Tethering is for someone else to explain...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Shame there is no easy upgrade path for existing O2 iphone customers, other than buying out their contract! :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here