Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Fans and Singing

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As we sell out more games and with a cup match coming which is likely to attract many casual/new/potential future fans, there is some discussion about how this will impact on the atmosphere and whether it might become more muted?

For sure they might not know any "new" songs but I often wonder when sitting in the quieter east stand whether prolonged fast clapping might be an easy way of engaging people and raising the volume? I've heard it from some away fans and at a number of away games and it is pretty effective. Maybe our friends in the north could take the lead and give it a try and follow it with a few simple "seagulls" cries to help people join in?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Because the older fans used to make so much noise at Withdean didn't they?

People seem to create some alternate reality universe when it comes to The Albion and atmosphere. It's never been that good, even at the Goldstone. Certain games were great but most were bang average.

The Amex is probably in the best five home atmospheres in the division. Wh can't people just chill out about it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Atmosphere?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I don't think our supporters are intelligent enough to be able to clap AND then shout the occasional "seagulls". Far too complicated

simballs

Jun 11, 2012
Southwick
Because the older fans used to make so much noise at Withdean didn't they?

People seem to create some alternate reality universe when it comes to The Albion and atmosphere. It's never been that good, even at the Goldstone. Certain games were great but most were bang average.

The Amex is probably in the best five home atmospheres in the division. Wh can't people just chill out about it?

Spot on! I was beginning to doubt my own experiences, glad I'm not going mad!

Idiotic original post, simply brainless twaddle!

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I have found the majority of games at various stadiums lack atmosphere, stop worrying and just watch the football.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I sit in the family stand and am always astounded at the criticism on here for the lack of atmosphere. The thing is it's better than almost any other game at the Goldstone except for the old north stand where usually there was at least some sort of atmosphere. Even then, and I went in the old north loads of times from the early eighties (old enough to be allowed then:rolleyes:) )the noise wasn't always amazing. For me, the Amex IS amazing. Not always rocking, but sometimes the players take the blame, other times the weather and then again perhaps we all have a quiet day. Try to enjoy what we've got. English people generally aren't as hyped up as Latin folk or Africans, that's life.

I wouldn't bother to compare Withdean as everything about it sucked the noise away.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There is atmosphere at the Amex. It mainly comes from tension, 20,000+ pairs of eyes focussing on the player on the ball, an occasional chuckle, disdain at a wild opposition goal attempt, a gasp at an astonishing bit of skill by one of our players, groan at a mislaid pass, and the euphoria of a goal by us.

And I'd much rather than it was this than the synthetic atmosphere creation of people trying to 'create an atmosphere.'

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The trouble is because of the Doncaster game it was our 1st game at the Amex and the fantastic climax to the game It
was probably one of the greatest atmospheres many people had experienced at a game of football & on the back of that we played other games that equaled it Liverpool Leeds burnley but the honeymoon is over now and in time to come the atmosphere will be great again for some games and others it won't

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We need fans to get together and do this for us, NSK anyone ?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I sit in the family stand and am always astounded at the criticism on here for the lack of atmosphere. The thing is it's better than almost any other game at the Goldstone except for the old north stand where usually there was at least some sort of atmosphere. Even then, and I went in the old north loads of times from the early eighties (old enough to be allowed then:rolleyes:) )the noise wasn't always amazing. For me, the Amex IS amazing. Not always rocking, but sometimes the players take the blame, other times the weather and then again perhaps we all have a quiet day. Try to enjoy what we've got. English people generally aren't as hyped up as Latin folk or Africans, that's life.

I wouldn't bother to compare Withdean as everything about it sucked the noise away.

Like you I sit in the family stand and I do sometimes wonder where these fans went to watch football previously as generally the Amex atmosphere is pretty good not brilliant but good. The youngsters around me are now starting to find themselves at home and starting to make their own chants. Yes they are juvenile and high pitched but these are the North Stand of the future, things have changes and it will take a while to really get comfortable but in the meantime I love it and don't think the atmosphere is bad generally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here