Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] New Dr Who what did you make of episode 3?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Episode one i found weird with the babies. Episode 2 I loved the Maestro and helped show there are some very powerful beings in creation and the Doctor isn't one of them. Episode 3 showed how the doctor just walks into problems and has the brain to fix things but needs a companion to help him. Episode 4 shows again how the Doctor just walks into problems, but this time it was the companion who has to fix things. Everything so far has shown that the Doctor is not this all conquering hero he has been. He is succeeding by the skin of his teeth and needing help to do it.
Firstly I wasn't going to open this thread until I'd watched episode 3, which I did last night. It was all about the Doctor standing on a landmine. If Anita Dobson was the face of the 'Ambulance' then she has really aged.

Anyway, I digress. Yes I agree with you. Originally the Doctor was not much more powerful than a normal human, just a bit brighter. If you locked the William Hartnell or Patrick Troughton doctors in your shed first thing in the morning, they'd still be there when you came home in the evening. Later doctors, with more and more gadgets and powers would escape in an instant. In recent years the Doctor has become this phenomenally intelligent, all-knowing, semi-immortal being with god-like powers, so I'm glad they've scaled him back a bit.

Talking of William Hartnell, going back to episode 2 (Maestro), why didn't he notice the death of music? One of the reasons Susan didn't want to leave the 20th century was because she loved Sixties pop.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
After what I thought an awful episode 6 ( 1 out of 5 ), episode 7 ( 5 out of 5 ) was incredible. Absolutely awesome peak DW. RTD back in the building. His best episode bar Stolen Earth.

It's a shame this season has oscillated so much between extremes of good and bad.

Of course will all know that episode 8 is going to be quickly resolved by a silly deus ex machina in the last 5 minutes, but that's how RTD rolls. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The whole IPlayer thing is still a beautiful toy to me. I get to decide what time Dr Who is on this weekend. It's such a highlight.

I see it has 'dropped' already. I was a bit too tired in the early hours to watch it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mrs H is off to see Take That tomorrow so I’ve going watch Dr Who and the Sea Devils, with Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado locking horns. The reason being as a kid I never watched the whole thing because we used to have aa power cut every Saturday night, part of Ted Heath vs The Miners, ten minutes into each episode, so I never got to see it. I seem to recall they very rarely repeated Dr Who.

I accept it will be dated, but we all watch films made long before then, but it’s the little bit of nostalgia I’m looking forward to, going back to times when things were far simpler and life was so much more enjoyable 😃
Hope the VIP tickets are better this time!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The whole IPlayer thing is still a beautiful toy to me. I get to decide what time Dr Who is on this weekend. It's such a highlight.

I see it has 'dropped' already. I was a bit too tired in the early hours to watch it
We watched tonight's new exciting episode, then flipped back to where we were, in the 'doing them in order' quest, watching cybermen emerge from London sewers. Emotional.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
After what I thought an awful episode 6 ( 1 out of 5 ), episode 7 ( 5 out of 5 ) was incredible. Absolutely awesome peak DW. RTD back in the building. His best episode bar Stolen Earth.

It's a shame this season has oscillated so much between extremes of good and bad.

Of course will all know that episode 8 is going to be quickly resolved by a silly deus ex machina in the last 5 minutes, but that's how RTD rolls. Looking forward to it.
As long as there is no guest appearance from Brian May.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We watched tonight's new exciting episode, then flipped back to where we were, in the 'doing them in order' quest, watching cybermen emerge from London sewers. Emotional.
Yes. It's a bit surreal seeing an episode that would have been on whilst my parents were having their wedding reception.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This is one thread I certainly cannot contribute to as I have never seen an episode in my longish life!😱
I was friends with Katy Manning though, when we were very young, so my mother told me.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
The 73 yards episode is a reminder that a small change in the timeline can have huge consequences (this one leading to the loss of the Dr amongst others). This will be a dilemma for Ruby when we learn her origins.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The 73 yards episode is a reminder that a small change in the timeline can have huge consequences (this one leading to the loss of the Dr amongst others). This will be a dilemma for Ruby when we learn her origins.
Someone pointed out that the cctv that took the video of the Ruby Road church was 66m ( 73 yards ? ) away from the church.

Now I have visions of a woman whispering something in the big bad boss' ear and him running away but not even RTD would use that corny a Deus Ex Machina... or would he ?

Ruby really being the Goddess of Banishment or similar. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here