Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] New Dr Who what did you make of episode 3?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
According to the BBC listings this was episode 4?
Episode 3 was something called ""Boom" that I seem to have missed??
They are presumably counting the crimbo special as number 1. Given that they don't put the crimbo special on the season DVD, I think they've got a bit of a cheek. Boo. BOO!

Boo.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah, you've missed one (how exciting if you've got one more to watch!). Space Babies was number one, then Devil's Chord, Boom and 73 Yards.
Bugger. I have watched them all, but the old short term memory has decided not not bother with the filing.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Boom was the one in the battleground (not saying any more to avoid spoilers)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No idea what ep 4 was about. But the one with The Beatles? Pah. A time travelling VW Beetle with an F reg number plate travels back from the Abbey Road album cover to appear in 1963? I don't think so! Mind you, brilliant performance from Jinkx (?).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Episodes 1 and 2 were awful, babies with a genuine bogeyman then someone channeling Keith Flint and Eddie Izzard. 3 was a step back up in class while 4 was creepy, mysterious and disconcerting...the series is getting better.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Loved it. I agree that is leave a LOT unexplained.

Why would the older Ruby scare people away from Ruby?
Where did the doctor go?
Why was there a time loop?
Why did the older Ruby exist?

Those sort of things. But it was still gripping TV. I weird Nightmare story mixed with Welsh folklore.

Lovely stuff.

As an aside, I have been pretty disturbed by the Dr Who fanbase of late. So much anger and vitriol aimed at the show; lots of triggered people; female doctor and then a black doctor. All very retrogressive (the reaction, not the show).
Yeah, me too. And there was a lot of slightly weird stuff unexplained that may or may not be important but I found weird.

The other girl who was working for the Williams character, virtually no point to her in the plot arc and yet it was all a bit disconcerting?
Why 'stay off the grass' to the point that people were pointing guns at her?
[The £5 coke in the pub and collection of caricatures sitting there?
The meaning of the fairy circle itself?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Episode 1 - childish ( 1 out of 5 )
Episode 2 - cacophonic ( 1 out of 5 )
Episode 3 - explosive ( 4 out of 5 )
Episode 4 - spooky ( 5 out of 5 )

I've just realised Episode 5 is now available on i-player. I'll watch it this morning.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Has he still got a sonic screw driver? 😂

I got myself a memory stick for the TV for various reasons, and one of the hidden extras is that I’ve got the entire Dr Who collection on there, or at last the shows that weren’t erased in various BBC culls.

Mrs H is off to see Take That tomorrow so I’ve going watch Dr Who and the Sea Devils, with Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado locking horns. The reason being as a kid I never watched the whole thing because we used to have aa power cut every Saturday night, part of Ted Heath vs The Miners, ten minutes into each episode, so I never got to see it. I seem to recall they very rarely repeated Dr Who.

I accept it will be dated, but we all watch films made long before then, but it’s the little bit of nostalgia I’m looking forward to, going back to times when things were far simpler and life was so much more enjoyable 😃

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Has he still got a sonic screw driver? 😂

I got myself a memory stick for the TV for various reasons, and one of the hidden extras is that I’ve got the entire Dr Who collection on there, or at last the shows that weren’t erased in various BBC culls.

Mrs H is off to see Take That tomorrow so I’ve going watch Dr Who and the Sea Devils, with Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado locking horns. The reason being as a kid I never watched the whole thing because we used to have aa power cut every Saturday night, part of Ted Heath vs The Miners, ten minutes into each episode, so I never got to see it. I seem to recall they very rarely repeated Dr Who.

I accept it will be dated, but we all watch films made long before then, but it’s the little bit of nostalgia I’m looking forward to, going back to times when things were far simpler and life was so much more enjoyable 😃
Sounds good.

Obviously the Sea Devils will look like men in rubber suits but the story should be decent.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Today's episode is really interesting. 5 out of 5.

So episodes 3-5 have been great. Such a shame they started this series with 2 turkeys.
Haven't watched it yet. The missus reassures me that episode 4 will have seeded some story arcs that will make no sense yet.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

So episodes 3-5 have been great. Such a shame they started this series with 2 turkeys.
Well episode 2 was brilliant so there!! Less enamoured with this one to be honest. Again though, 5 very different episodes to cater for all tastes.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

I disagree with 3-5 being great. 4 and five were good. 2 i still think was the best with such an overpowered villain that even the doctor couldn't beat.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If Dr Who had started from scratch with episodes 1 and 2 of this series I would have quit and never seen 3....seriously ? A manic Eddie Izzard climbing out of a piano ? Wtf ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just seen 5 and its very good ! Now on to iplayer for The Outlaws

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just watched 5. Blimey, that was good :ohmy: The woman's face at the end as she toddled off with her chums reminded me of the various sorts who will 'of course' be voting conservative.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Just watched 5. Blimey, that was good :ohmy: The woman's face at the end as she toddled off with her chums reminded me of the various sorts who will 'of course' be voting conservative.
Without giving any spoilers, the unleashed programme after on BBC3 provides the subtext for those who did not twig during the episode.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here