Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] New Dr Who what did you make of episode 3?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mods please merge with other Dr Who threads - my search function has gone doolally

So, I asked Mrs T, who has studied film (among other things) to explain the latest episode. She simply described what we both saw.

I am assuming that there is a larger plot arc that will explain why 73 yards, and what the woman said to scare everyone away. And how a time loop was created.

I must say there were absolute hairs standing up on the back of the neck moments. It was like a horrible dream where each step you make takes you farther away from where you want to go. Spellbinding though.

Only weak bit, the female lead has the faintest whiff of 'Magpie' about her. Not sufficiently earnest for Blue Peter.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Mods please merge with other Dr Who threads - my search function has gone doolally

So, I asked Mrs T, who has studied film (among other things) to explain the latest episode. She simply described what we both saw.

I am assuming that there is a larger plot arc that will explain why 73 yards, and what the woman said to scare everyone away. And how a time loop was created.

I must say there were absolute hairs standing up on the back of the neck moments. It was like a horrible dream where each step you make takes you farther away from where you want to go. Spellbinding though.

Only weak bit, the female lead has the faintest whiff of 'Magpie' about her. Not sufficiently earnest for Blue Peter.
Firstly, I wonder if she was just whispering "Potter's coming back" which was what made everyone run away screaming 😀.
But I loved it. Best story for many a year. It won't be explained and it's all the better for that, sometimes the lack of an explanation is all the more unsettling. Have to say this season has been great - amazing that after all this time Dr Who can still produce 4 totally unique stories.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes I suspect this episode will come to be seen as setting the scene for something later on, especially given the disappearance of the Doctor then the old Ruby without explanation

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Doctor Who Unleashed on BBC3 after the main show is quite interesting to watch. It is primarily a behind the scenes things but for this episode, the actress who played the old woman said she had no script.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well I thought it was the best of the three….first one was dreadful, second was better and third excellent ( reminded me of sally sparrow episode - don’t blink)

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

I must admit to being slightly unsettled by it. Partly because of the strange pub sequence (pay by phone, £5 for a coke, everyone in on the wind up) and the split between Ruby and mum but mostly because i always want a defined and explained ending!
The only thing i thought i understood was that the old lady was an older Ruby and that she had to let her whole life play through before she could return to the start of the episode with a different outcome.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I must admit to being slightly unsettled by it. Partly because of the strange pub sequence (pay by phone, £5 for a coke, everyone in on the wind up) and the split between Ruby and mum but mostly because i always want a defined and explained ending!
The only thing i thought i understood was that the old lady was an older Ruby and that she had to let her whole life play through before she could return to the start of the episode with a different outcome.
Indeed.

So it seems there is a larger story arc and all will eventually be revealed.... :thumbsup:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Didn’t understand any of it, but I WANT one of those “Albion” tee-shirts! 😎

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Indeed.

So it seems there is a larger story arc and all will eventually be revealed.... :thumbsup:
But i need to know now!! :tantrum:
It will come as no surprise to you to learn that one of my pet hates is a drama series of several episodes that in the end leaves it up to the viewers to decide the ending for themselves!
What is that all about ???
Rant over, i'm happy now! :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I always watch Dr Who, but I run to it this year. NG is just about the perfect Doctor (believe it or not there are still Gammons going on about woke there). He was born for the role.

The latest episode was weird yet really pulled me in. I wanted to know more at the end. But that's the idea. And Anita Dobson's character- there's something happening there too.

Really, really good so far.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
And Anita Dobson's character- there's something happening there too.
Was she the one who appeared at the end of the Christmas special encouraging Ruby to get in the Tardis and who knew exactly what it was?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Was she the one who appeared at the end of the Christmas special encouraging Ruby to get in the Tardis and who knew exactly what it was?
That's the one

Reactions: A1X

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Episode one i found weird with the babies. Episode 2 I loved the Maestro and helped show there are some very powerful beings in creation and the Doctor isn't one of them. Episode 3 showed how the doctor just walks into problems and has the brain to fix things but needs a companion to help him. Episode 4 shows again how the Doctor just walks into problems, but this time it was the companion who has to fix things. Everything so far has shown that the Doctor is not this all conquering hero he has been. He is succeeding by the skin of his teeth and needing help to do it.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I have enjoyed the series, apart from the Space Babies which was one of the sillier episodes in a long time. This episode was creepy. I think it is sometimes good not to explain everything, although I expect it will all be resolved in the last episode, along with the other rather unsubtle motifs running through the series i.e. orphans and babies, music, snow, the "Susan Twist" twist. etc.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Loved it. I agree that is leave a LOT unexplained.

Why would the older Ruby scare people away from Ruby?
Where did the doctor go?
Why was there a time loop?
Why did the older Ruby exist?

Those sort of things. But it was still gripping TV. I weird Nightmare story mixed with Welsh folklore.

Lovely stuff.

As an aside, I have been pretty disturbed by the Dr Who fanbase of late. So much anger and vitriol aimed at the show; lots of triggered people; female doctor and then a black doctor. All very retrogressive (the reaction, not the show).

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

According to the BBC listings this was episode 4?
Episode 3 was something called ""Boom" that I seem to have missed??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here