Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Bowie song - Think we're in for a big suprise?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Right between the Eyes.

No-one seemd to know that was coming, on his 66th birthday Bowie's released a single (Where Are We Now?) and announced an album in the spring. I'm a huge fan so downloaded the song this morning, I'm sad to say I think it's a bit dull. It has a dozen or so influences, starts off like Fantastic Voyage, more than a hint of It's No Game, and a bit of Loving the Alien too. Not that it matters but the video is set in Berlin, and half the lyric is German. Not really sure what it's about, a social comment on ageing perhaps, or is he saying the world is much the same as it was in the 1970s? Or is it just a pop song?

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
I never saw this coming either. Major shock when I got an update from his official fb page!
I downloaded it immediately on my way to work in the early hours. Must admit I was a little disappointed on the 1st hearing,but its growing with a few more listens...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I quite like it, I was fully expecting some "trying too hard to be different" effort but it's quite the opposite and just a half decent song.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmm...

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
I quite like it, I was fully expecting some "trying too hard to be different" effort but it's quite the opposite and just a half decent song.

I agree. I expected Dubstep to be honest going by Bowie's previous record for jumping on the bandwagon (Tin Machine, Earthling etc) but this is actually really quite a pleasent little pop song. It's no new Ziggy Stardust, but I still quite like it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I think the song is about not giving up all the time you're alive. Every second you're alive there is still hope. I could however be reading far too much into it.

The only German in it is place names. It's very David Bowie.

On the Woody's scale of 1-10 it would probably score a 7.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I quite like it.

He looks a lot shorter than I remember him though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Re-assuringly 80s.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I like his melancholy stuff so I can see this really growing on me.

Professor P

Oct 6, 2006
I love it. And I'm delighted he hasn't just churned out some derivative pop/rock pap. There's something quite moving and 'Sinatra' about it - it sounds almost like he's signing off. He's not going to win a new generation of fans...good, they've got Coldplay and Mumford and Sons and can all f*** off as far as I'm concerned.

There. That's my first post in about 3 years. That's how happy this has made me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
FFS. It's clearly a tribute to me and my move. I now await [MENTION=12292]The Truth[/MENTION] to conjure up some weirdo conspiracy theory that it's just pure coincidence.

Jul 20, 2003
and there was me all excited about My Bloody Valentine releasing new material. VIVA LA DAME

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
FFS. It's clearly a tribute to me and my move. I now await [MENTION=12292]The Truth[/MENTION] to conjure up some weirdo conspiracy theory that it's just pure coincidence.

All the signs are there.

Jul 20, 2003
listening to 'Lodger' at ear bleedingly loud volume ........... happy .... not much what a f***ing lovely day

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love it. And I'm delighted he hasn't just churned out some derivative pop/rock pap. There's something quite moving and 'Sinatra' about it - it sounds almost like he's signing off. He's not going to win a new generation of fans...good, they've got Coldplay and Mumford and Sons and can all f*** off as far as I'm concerned.

There. That's my first post in about 3 years. That's how happy this has made me.

Superb post. I'm delighted Bowie hasn't tried to be "relevant" or "modern" with it. It's just Bowie being Bowie. Which is good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here