Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Bowie song - Think we're in for a big suprise?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Right between the Eyes.

No-one seemd to know that was coming, on his 66th birthday Bowie's released a single (Where Are We Now?) and announced an album in the spring. I'm a huge fan so downloaded the song this morning, I'm sad to say I think it's a bit dull. It has a dozen or so influences, starts off like Fantastic Voyage, more than a hint of It's No Game, and a bit of Loving the Alien too. Not that it matters but the video is set in Berlin, and half the lyric is German. Not really sure what it's about, a social comment on ageing perhaps, or is he saying the world is much the same as it was in the 1970s? Or is it just a pop song?

And quite a lot of Absolute Beginners ...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
3rd listen in and it's getting better each time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
God that is a dirge.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
God that is a dirge.

Have to agree.

For me Bowie will always be a legend because of his 70s work, but I have long been of the opinion he should have stopped in the early 80s. This has done nothing to change that view.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
listening to 'Lodger' at ear bleedingly loud volume ........... happy .... not much what a f***ing lovely day

I f**king love Lodger. Few average/experimental tracks,but it has a few of my favourite Bowie tracks(Fantastic Voyage,Boys Keep Swinging,Repetition). In fact,my preferred Bowie era is the late 70s material when he was down & probably as high as a kite in Berlin! Never been the same since IMO but every now & again he comes up with a gem. Looking fw to hearing the other 16 tracks in March :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Sounds like it's written by someone with little time left. Both melancholy and uplifting. Really really like it. Even on one listen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like it's written by someone with little time left. Both melancholy and uplifting. Really really like it. Even on one listen.

Spot on. Incredibly emotive song. Lyrics are superb.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I quite like it, I was fully expecting some "trying too hard to be different" effort but it's quite the opposite and just a half decent song.

This.
Better than most of his stuff since the early 80's.
Not essential, but ok.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The icon of British Rock Music has returned.

I lived a lot of my youth through Bowie as he was and still is a huge legend in music terms. When the Let's Dance album was released I actually bleached my hair and had it styled like his. I have seen him live around 10 times including Tin Machine and he was and always will be my favourite ever artist as he is just so diverse and vibrant.

As for the new track, stunning

I saw the Serious Moonlight, Glass Spider and Greatest Hits Tour - Live at the MK Bowl in 1990 was amazing if anyone wants to copy my live CD of it PM me as it is out of this world

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here