Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] new away fan ID/ticketing system

suedy

suedygull
Aug 8, 2010
burgess hill
Several in our group had their wallet contents rifled through by Brentford stewards, under threat of having match ticket torn up if they refused. No ID check though.
My son also had his wallet and all pockets searched.When I queried this with head steward afterwards he said they were looking for drugs but this wasn’t made clear during the search. ID was only checked as we were collecting tickets.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Probably wouldn't be legal.

The only way around it was the ticket collection route, which does seem ridiculously OTT and a complete waste of money.

What next ? Fans have to go to away games via the official travel methods like in Holland?

Barber is an amazing CEO but it's a shame he's a bit too 'corporate' and grey.
Why wouldn’t it be legal ? Have had it happen - away at Palace for example.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Several in our group had their wallet contents rifled through by Brentford stewards, under threat of having match ticket torn up if they refused. No ID check though.
Yep, been away many times and never had such a vigorous search of both my wallet and tobacco tin before entering the ground. No request for ID at all.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This wouldn't surprise me for Palace games in the future. We've seen it with some games already, so called 'bubble matches.'

If it ever turned out like the model in The Netherlands, away games would be dead. One reason why I never watch FC Utrecht away as it's draconian.
ID checks for palace away games have been common for years. And kettling fans out of Selhurst back to the station ever since the games started up again 11 years ago. (Last year the police were relaxed about not even doing that.). Theres been limited trouble arrests/Selhurst at least for years - although it’s hardly a friendly family night out. There’s no sign that police or clubs need to go further at all. I'd say bubble matches are well off the agenda.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think @jackalbion goes to games in every professional and amateur tier. I'm pretty sure he's the feller I met on the way back to Hove after the Man U game who told me he'd been up for the weekend so he could get in another game on the Saturday.

As an issue, for me, it's clear cut. Booze isn't and has not been for a long time, allowed in seats, except for some types of non-league games. If you break that and get caught you risk anything from a pour away and brief ticking off to being chucked out. People need to keep that in mind.
Yeah definitely, think there was some complaints made about the wallet searches as well, as the heavy handedness, it is stupid to bring it to your seat.

Yes that was me on the train, interesting though South Shields this weekend in the FA Cup they weren’t serving alcohol at all at a non league ground.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fulham’s an odd one. Comprehensive search and sniffer dogs by the turnstiles, then you get to mingle with the home fans on the concourse!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Fulham’s an odd one. Comprehensive search and sniffer dogs by the turnstiles, then you get to mingle with the home fans on the concourse!
It is a bit strange but isn’t that because of how we’ve been conditioned on what to expect? Surely the searches are for weapons, drugs and other illegal bits and pieces so as to allow fans to mingle without the threat of being injured by either a weapon or a smack head.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah definitely, think there was some complaints made about the wallet searches as well, as the heavy handedness, it is stupid to bring it to your seat.

Yes that was me on the train, interesting though South Shields this weekend in the FA Cup they weren’t serving alcohol at all at a non league ground.
Opposition are in the national league. For FA cup games if one of the teams is national league or higher then the alcohol restrictions kick in

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex

Horsham last season set up bars outside the ground and had a relaxed view of people going out of the ground and re-entering for the cup.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Horsham last season set up bars outside the ground and had a relaxed view of people going out of the ground and re-entering for the cup.
Yeah there was a big police presence at the games, think some of the away support can be a bit er, boisterous shall we say. My old flat mate and Scunthorpe fan who I went with commented that a lot of their support have a “the hills have eyes” vibe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also 17% of tickets for collection at Brentford were not collected.

So on both counts there is a problem to be addressed

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Has anyone been selected for ticket collection at Man City? I presume not due to the lack of noise.
Assume as the game didn't sell out to ST there is isn't a need for this, so just names on tickets and a possible ID check getting in, but no ticket collection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here