Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] new away fan ID/ticketing system

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's only a handful of games where demand outstrips supply, namely London clubs plus Bournemouth.

What with ground collectors having long since ticked off the big North-west clubs, and the cost and unreliable nature of transport being a deterrent for others, even the big north-west based clubs aren't a particularly big draw now.
Yep………so the only real consequence of the new scheme will be a marginal increase in the number of tickets available in T2 for the high demand games as the (relatively few ?) ‘gamers‘ in T1 stop buying tickets to pass on, although I suppose we still have the risk of non-member troublemakers getting in. Imagine the checks at games that are on general sale or have gone right down the tiers will be minimal going forward.

Has anyone has an email saying they need to collect their Man City tickets ?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yep………so the only real consequence of the new scheme will be a marginal increase in the number of tickets available in T2 for the high demand games as the (relatively few ?) ‘gamers‘ in T1 stop buying tickets to pass on, although I suppose we still have the risk of non-member troublemakers getting in. Imagine the checks at games that are on general sale or have gone right down the tiers will be minimal going forward.

Has anyone has an email saying they need to collect their Man City tickets ?
Exactly a handful of games where a handful of randomly selected supporters will need to spend 5 minutes collecting their tickets in person from the ground they were already going to!

On the general sale tiered games there’s no reason why anyone would need a ticket that’s not in their name, the only scenario would be those passed on for actual genuine reasons that the purchaser can’t attend. This can be managed with trusting who you give your ticket to, it’s a good system!

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I think this is becoming quite common across most Premier League clubs now, at least certainly the ones with decent fan bases. It’s something clubs are quite strict on to begin with but that generally soon fizzles out.

It’s been in place at Spurs for a few seasons now where they’ve said that a handful of applications will be selected at random and the lead applicant (you can apply for up to 20 season ticket holders) has to pick tickets up from the ground showing ID. I’ve never had too, or known anyone who’s had too do that since it’s been introduced. It was introduced for similar reasons to what’s (from reading this thread) happening at Brighton.. the top 2-3k of Season Ticket Holders apply for every game, to then sell the tickets on to their friends/families which then gets them the ‘loyalty points’ despite not going essentially making it a ‘closed shop’. It’s happened more since the £30 price cap for away tickets as in most cases, people are prepared to swallow £30 in the event they can’t sell the ticket on. Whereas before, even going back 10-12 years, we’d get charged £50-60 for most away games. What I’ve found generally is the ones who moan about the ‘closed shop’ are the ones who don’t go to games that do go to lower points, such as midweek games up north, home midweek League Cup/European games, European away games etc and they’re the games you need to attend to build up points to break into the top 2-3k.

We don’t have names written on tickets except for the occasional games abroad but that’s nothing a good baby wipe or nail varnish remover can’t fix (dependant on ink of course) ;)

West Ham’s model is quite good where 90% of an away allocation goes on loyalty points, with the remaining 10% going to a ballot for remaining season ticket holders.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Does anyone know why Dicky was going mental then ? Because he's too important for his ticket not to work?

Bit cringe if that's the case.

I was at the game and can concur with people moaning about the stewards. Absolute jobsworths. Seemed to be chucking out people left right and centre for next to nothing.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Does anyone know why Dicky was going mental then ? Because he's too important for his ticket not to work?

I was at the game and can concur with people moaning about the stewards. Absolute jobsworths. Seemed to be chucking out people left right and centre for next to nothing.
Not sure but he’s been known to turn up at 1901 with ticketless guests and expect the stewards to let them in.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The Brentford stewards wouldn’t have had time to go round confiscating beers from even more idiots. You have to have a deterrent to prevent other people doing similar. Enforcement of rules clearly explained is the only way to achieve it otherwise people take the piss. Much like ensuring the rules on away tickets are observed. Reading this thread I increasingly see the parallels between running a football club and running a classroom. I’ve had all these conversations at school many times :)
I agree with that, it was just a surprise as it’s happened at other teams, Premier League, The Amex and below and I’ve never seen an ejection for it. When I went to Wembley the other week for England v Germany, half the crowd was sitting there with a beer in their hand. Same with Rochdale v Scunthorpe a few years back, that was all, hardly crime of the century is it.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I don’t think you can have any argument in getting thrown out if you are caught with a drink pitch-side, it’s not a new phenomenon
No, just thought they were heavy handed compared to others, maybe other people haven’t seen it as much I have, but then I did go to 200 games last season so there was more opportunity to see it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I always find it hard to believe fans get slung out for little reason. It’s usually they’re being idiots and get lippy when they’re told to stop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well yes I agree, but when it’s happened before, the only punishment has been that.
You can’t use “I sneaked a beer in at blah blah stadium and didn’t get thrown out” as an argument to challenge Brentford’s approach. We all know you can’t do it, so we can’t complain if we get slung out.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
You can’t use “I sneaked a beer in at blah blah stadium and didn’t get thrown out” as an argument to challenge Brentford’s approach. We all know you can’t do it, so we can’t complain if we get slung out.
I dunno I just don’t necessarily agree with the idea that everyone who has broken a rule, ever, has a completely malicious intention, most people have decided already that anyone chucked out are high level football hooligans, or stealing someone else’s ticket or something. Just an observation I made that maybe it was a little heavy handed (even the Brighton steward at the game agreed with me).

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Did anybody actually get stopped by a BHA official outside the ground and asked for ID to match the ticket on their possession?
I did read on twitter that Brentford didn’t allow them to do this, not sure the truth in it though, but I certainly do not know anyone who was random ID checked. I’m not sure how they could have done it either considering those from the 1901 club had completely blank tickets, seemed inconsistent.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I did read on twitter that Brentford didn’t allow them to do this, not sure the truth in it though, but I certainly do not know anyone who was random ID checked. I’m not sure how they could have done it either considering those from the 1901 club had completely blank tickets, seemed inconsistent.
Probably wouldn't be legal.

The only way around it was the ticket collection route, which does seem ridiculously OTT and a complete waste of money.

What next ? Fans have to go to away games via the official travel methods like in Holland?

Barber is an amazing CEO but it's a shame he's a bit too 'corporate' and grey.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Probably wouldn't be legal.

The only way around it was the ticket collection route, which does seem ridiculously OTT and a complete waste of money.

What next ? Fans have to go to away games via the official travel methods like in Holland?

Barber is an amazing CEO but it's a shame he's a bit too 'corporate' and grey.
This wouldn't surprise me for Palace games in the future. We've seen it with some games already, so called 'bubble matches.'

If it ever turned out like the model in The Netherlands, away games would be dead. One reason why I never watch FC Utrecht away as it's draconian.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have not. So we're comparing rules/stewarding at Premier League matches with non-league games?!

Certainly explains some of the confusion...
I think @jackalbion goes to games in every professional and amateur tier. I'm pretty sure he's the feller I met on the way back to Hove after the Man U game who told me he'd been up for the weekend so he could get in another game on the Saturday.

As an issue, for me, it's clear cut. Booze isn't and has not been for a long time, allowed in seats, except for some types of non-league games. If you break that and get caught you risk anything from a pour away and brief ticking off to being chucked out. People need to keep that in mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here