Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Netflix

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Been with Netflix for a couple of weeks now and whilst the quality of stream is pretty good the selection is pretty poor, especially from a film point of view.

For example I fancied watching Goodfellas over the weekend, didn't have it. Then I thought I'd give the Lord of the Rings ago, none of them! So I paid more attention to what they actually did have and I couldn't find anything that recent or to be honest that good.

See Lovefilm is only £4.99 a month (so cheaper than Netflix) and looking at their website their selection of films is allot better. Going to give them a go as well as it's also a free months trial and to be honest even if I keep both on it's still cheaper than adding the movies to my Sky package.

Totally agree with this. Still have a week left of the free trial but won't be continuing it.

The quality is very good but the selection is very poor. Have just been watching Peep Show and South Park with it. Really disappointed in the lack of film choice

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm sure there'll be teething problems and some issues with ISPs. I'll be giving it a few months and seeing how it goes, but it certainly does look good.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
This - use something like Unblock Us - unblock your favourite video and social websites and you can access US Netflix content with your UK account. It's not dodgy at all, as you'll see when you get a message from Netflix as they've noticed you are 'travelling' and as such will see different content - logins are universal.

I use something called "Hotspot Shield". It's free but doesn't work sometimes sadly, but it gets me through.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I use something called "Hotspot Shield". It's free but doesn't work sometimes sadly, but it gets me through.

Unblock US is supposed to charge but I know a lot of folk who don't seem to need to pay.

playmoTV Start streaming is currently free.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I've signed up to the Netflix free trial after being given an Apple TV gizmo. The streaming quality seems very good, but the film choice all seems a little dated (the kind of movies that you can get for a for a couple of quid in bargain bins).
The best thing I've found on there by a country mile is Breaking Bad

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This - use something like Unblock Us - unblock your favourite video and social websites and you can access US Netflix content with your UK account. It's not dodgy at all, as you'll see when you get a message from Netflix as they've noticed you are 'travelling' and as such will see different content - logins are universal.

How does that work with Apple TV? I'm assuming it doesn't?

On the subject of Apple TV do you know if there is a Lovefilm App for it or any plans for one? The @InternetTV on my Samgsung TV isn't anywhere near as nice as polished as the Apple TV

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How does that work with Apple TV? I'm assuming it doesn't?

On the subject of Apple TV do you know if there is a Lovefilm App for it or any plans for one? The @InternetTV on my Samgsung TV isn't anywhere near as nice as polished as the Apple TV

On the first one - yes, it does. You update DNS settings thus - Apple TV playmoTV

No idea on the second one, I'm afraid, although I reckon with a Jailbreak of the ATV it'd be simple.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
On the first one - yes, it does. You update DNS settings thus - Apple TV playmoTV

No idea on the second one, I'm afraid, although I reckon with a Jailbreak of the ATV it'd be simple.

Cool cheers.

Can see AppleTV going down the iOS route very soon of which there is already a Lovefilm app. Really can't be bothered with Jailbreaking anything although I do need to find a user for my AppleTV especially if I bin off Netflix.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cool cheers.

Can see AppleTV going down the iOS route very soon of which there is already a Lovefilm app.

...as well as iPlayer and 4OD etc etc.

There has to be a very good reason why they've not just opened it up as it must be a very simple technical change. There'll be some sort of bigger master plan - I wonder if it's do with the actual Apple TV that is en route.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Having been with Tesco DVD Rental for ages I've realised that Lovefilm's pricing has dropped below theirs (even though I believe they're essentially the same system) so I've just swapped over to Lovefilm. Not really interested in Netflix, yet, as the selection is pretty crap, and certainly not worth the money when, at the moment, I coud only be able to use it on laptop. The thing that really annoys me about Lovefilm is the dispute they are having with one of the major studios (can't remember which one) which means there's loads of titles unavailable for rent which they list but offer no reason for.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I've signed up to Netflix this month, and it appears to be bloody brilliant. Picture quality is perfect, and I've had no streaming issues... Good range of films and tv series too...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've signed up to Netflix this month, and it appears to be bloody brilliant. Picture quality is perfect, and I've had no streaming issues... Good range of films and tv series too...

I agree with that too. As we've been a non-Sky household for yonks and also missed a large number of new shows when they started, UK Netflix has a load of stuff we've never seen, including multiple complete seasons of highly rated shows such as Breaking Bad and Dexter. I don't have a massive amount of time to watch TV so the current catalogue will last me years, and it will be added to over that time of course.

Can this be used on a 360?

Yes - Xbox 360 playmoTV

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I agree with that too. As we've been a non-Sky household for yonks and also missed a large number of new shows when they started, UK Netflix has a load of stuff we've never seen, including multiple complete seasons of highly rated shows such as Breaking Bad and Dexter. I don't have a massive amount of time to watch TV so the current catalogue will last me years, and it will be added to over that time of course.

Yes - Xbox 360 playmoTV

Thank you, it seems I will need to pay for another Xbox live account which is a shame, wonder if it can be done through tversity?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Just signed up and seen Breaking Bad is on there. Looks like that's me off sick tomorrow.

My only minor grumble is that you can't view stuff using Safari on PC for some reason, but you can Mac, as it's my default browser.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
At the moment it seems to have a lot of good TV but lacks any quality/modern films. Watched the first 2 seasons of Breaking Bad, started watching the first few series of Spooks and just started It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (which isn't aired on UK TV). I'm gunna try the Love Film streaming before I sign up for Netflix but I am tempted.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Unblock US is supposed to charge but I know a lot of folk who don't seem to need to pay.

playmoTV Start streaming is currently free.

I suggest you lot who have just subscribed to Netflix do this. As I mentioned earlier thought the choice on the UK Netflix was poor. The US is much better, especially for TV shows.

Still think it's pretty crap for films though. Lovefilm seems allot better in that respect but dreadful for TV shows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here