Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NCTJ - Where did you do it?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My contact who told me about Paul Brooker was a friend who was told by Paul Brooker that he wanted to come back to Brighton. I am sorry and will never leak a transfer rumour again...ever.

On the NTCJ vs experience argument..is it not better to do both?

I am writing match reports on Brighton for the west sussex county times and am going to continue doing so next year but was told by their sports ed to do an NCTJ. I am writing a few things for other papers, mags etc but just trying to build a decent CV at the mo. Am sorting out some more work experience at 442 mag as well which would be dapper.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dandyman said:
When were you there, Gwylan ?

I went there in the early 80's and 20 years later I am a Personnel Manager ! :D

I was there in 1983. Personnel management seems a bit more secure than magazine journalism these days.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In 1983 you were thankful that Peter Sutcliffe tad just taken the rap for you Max!

MactheRuss

May 22, 2004
Worthing
From an ex-Sports Editor

Just noticed this thread, so thought I'd chip in while it's still warm.

I did in-house NCTJ (with a bit of block release for nerve-shredding shorthand classes) at Courier Newspapers in Tunbridge Wells. This was post uni, where I mostly did rock reviews on the student rag (UCC, Cardiff).

Once I'd got a job on a weekly, I ended up getting the sports editor's job after a couple of years (including blagging a press box seat for the 83 Cup Final :lolol: ).

Cheap journo thrills on the day included walking round the pitch after coming down the tunnel (behind Arthur Albiston, as I recall), and popping into peer at the changing rooms (long after players had gone BTW), taking a pic of an abandoned champers bottle on the side of the big bath.

Did the job for 4-5 years before wading through endless local cricket club reports and bowls team results began to lose its allure. Moved on to deputy ed on the weekly before heading into features territory at a regional daily in the East Midlands.

Have been editing a national church newspaper based in Worthing since 96, but occasionally still hanker for standing, soaking wet on the touchline of some no-hoper Kent County League match trying to read the blurry biro in my notebook.

My advice Richie, is do your NCTJ - and pester the heck out of local news editors on any title you can find. It stops them sleeping in the afternoons ... :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here