Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NCTJ - Where did you do it?

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Tom Hark said:
Sorry mate, don't listen to me, I was just pointing out... well, it's all up there on the thread. It's probably a damn good qualification to have on your CV and I'd guess it's a darn sight more interesting college course than some.

Ok no worries and thanks :wave:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Sport's a toughie, Bobby's. Imho, it's all about contacts for sport, and if you're doing football match reports, an ability to write copy very very fast. I know I couldn't do it. A mate of mine does the odd football report for the tabs, via an agency called Teamwork, I think, and he's not a journo. Another friend is a full time sports journo and he HAS got an NCTJ qualification. He started doing Havant Town match reports for the Portsmouth Evening News while studying NCTJ at Highbury College.

I'd go with your gut feeling mate. The NCTJ qual is, as Tom says, a good one to have on the CV, and a knowledge of media law, shorthand and all that stuff is always going to be useful whatever you end up doing. So if you can afford it and have the time, do it.

My magazine course taught law, shorthand, public affairs (ie. how the government / local government works etc) and magazine feature writing, not news. But I can honestly say, I've only used the legal knowledge about ten times, and the PA a few more in over eight years. Both are well rusty now. Shorthand's well down the pan. There aren't many features you'll write for FHM where you'll need to know the workings of local government!

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
eastlondonseagull said:
There aren't many features you'll write for FHM where you'll need to know the workings of local government!

Lol - v.true! The NCTJ is part of a sports journalism course so I'm hoping that will help me out with contacts etc. But seriously, thanks for what you've written it's been much appreciated.

Richie Morris said:
I just got offered a place at Brighton College doing an NCTJ in Newspaper Journalism and I know lots of people on here have already done it, just wondering where they did it and what people think of the course at Brighton.

Well done Richie! An excellent :salute: to those who doubted you. Enjoy the course.

Nothing really to add though from this similar-ish thread of a few months ago:

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=22327

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I did my NCTJ at Brighton College of Journalism - an NCTJ is required at most newspapers/magazines as a basic requirement on your CV, but on its own its pretty damn useless. Experience is the key word here, and contacts... best to use your time on the NCTJ to develop all these. You really have to be proactive about it and get some decent work placements - most struggled on my course to find placements because they were lazy sods... you have to use a bit of nous and initiative - I was able to get placements with The Mirror, Observer Magazine and The Independent.

Was the general knowledge test as piss easy as we made it out to be (in the other thread)?

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Quite a lot of interesting stuff on this thread, I didnt do me NCTJ but got into sports journoing through the work experience and freelance way.

About to start a job this month as trainee sports editor after only 2 1/2 years in the game. Education doesnt always mean that much I havent found, in news its vital but sport seems to be more who you know.

The "who you know" stuff might be important. More important is the "what you do with the contacts you have".

Experienced local journalists (Adam Trimingham is a good example) spend a hell of a lot of time just talking to the people who will tell them things. A lot of these conversations don't immediately result in a story. But the background knowledge (and trust) that develops will be worth at least as much as "The Facts" when a story finds its moment to break.

I guess the same applies to sports features.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Doing the NCTJ is the only practical way to get into newspaper journalism nowadays.

Most of us very ancient old hacks were trained "on the job" - oooer missis - which usually involved making a lot of tea, taking a lot of photographs of cats stuck up trees and writing a lot of words on behalf of lazy bastards - er, more "senior" colleagues - who couldn't be arsed to go out and actually DO any reporting.

But then you've got the work experience part to enjoy as part of the NCTJ...

:D

Albion Rob

I did my NCTJ course at Highbury, like many distinguished members of this board. But that was after three years studying journalism at uni, which got me precisely nowhere. Fortunately I got myself onto the Highbury course, really enjoyed it, and didn't have too much difficulty landing my first job.

Bobby's Gull - ring around all the local papers in your area and sort out a bit of time on their sports desks. When I was in your position I found it a massive help to watch those who had already qualified and see how they worked and how they conducted themselves in a given situation.

Good luck.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Albion Rob, just read through the old NCTJ thread of a few months ago, and blimey some Highbury names ring a bell!

Dave Kett, yep, Garry Edwards (my magazine tutor), Bernie Saunders and the law bloke, whose name (Welsh I think?) I forget, now runs his own company. Think he writes an advice column for the Press Gazette too.

And then, of course, there was Chats coffee shop! Remember that?! :lolol:

Albion Rob

Yeah, Chats was good, shame there were so many smilers in Pompey shirts hanging around as they stormed to the title.

I think the Welsh guy must have been Clel but he had left before I got there. I thought Garry was hilarious, loads of anecdotes and that strange noise he made in his throat. I understand he is now head of journalism at Southampton Institute.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
That's it, Cleland Thom or something, he made me laugh. Garry was great fun, never knew he was at Soton Institute, now. Fairplay. Always used to go on about his links with The Publican and various other booze magazines.

There were three or four other Albion there when I was there. Have lost contact with two, but Jim Draisey is now news editor on a local paper in Ipswich and Cathy Caws is education correspondant on The News. We've all got season tickets. Should have a Highbury get together sometime ;-)

Albion Rob

That's a coincidence, I know Cathy from work experience when I was at Highbury and also through another Albion-supporting reporter who used to work where I now work but knew her from the Argus.

Myself and Bigfanofcullip always make a point of seeking her out in the Sportsman before games as we have never lost if we've managed to find her and have a chat!

In fact, looking at names you have mentioned you may know Bigfanofcullip.

Dandyman

In London village.
Gwylan said:
I did the Postgraduate Periodical Journalism course at the London College of Printing. Excellent course, which included some work experience at the Cricketer.

Fine for magazines but if you want to work in newspapers, then you're going to have to get your NCTJ.

When were you there, Gwylan ?

I went there in the early 80's and 20 years later I am a Personnel Manager ! :D

I worked in the same office as Cathy a few years ago. The News is definitely a step up from that job :lol: glad to hear she's doing well.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Top girl Cathy, love her to bits. Especially as her family's footballing allegiances are so f***ed up. What is it? One Albion supporting brother, one Saints and two Pompey? God help her!

Am wracking brains to think whether I know Bigfanofcullip! If you're there sir, drop me a line!

eastlondonseagull said:
Storer, when were you there sir? I did my PTC at Highbury, finished in 1996. Bloody good laugh. Have been a humble, low-paid magazine hack ever since.

:lolol:

did mine in 1983-4 - it was larigt but quite intense as I recall, and the shorthand at 120wpm was a bastard............- goty me a job but as the ANNUAL salary was just over £4k we did not last long........................

since then I have been quite happy to take the Queens shilling and work for the people (not the paper) rather than be part of the fourth estate

Lord Bracknell said:
Experienced local journalists (Adam Trimingham is a good example) spend a hell of a lot of time just talking to the people who will tell them things. A lot of these conversations don't immediately result in a story. But the background knowledge (and trust) that develops will be worth at least as much as "The Facts" when a story finds its moment to break.

I guess the same applies to sports features.
When I wrote this earlier today, I forgot to add the proviso that most people still think "The Facts" of a breaking story are important.

Now, Richie ... tell us all about your helpful contacts who led us all to expect Paul Brooker's return to Withdean.

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here