Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor doesn't sound very convinced (Argus)

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Large One said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: Good one.

That's cos he is basically there to get the ball and give it to Hammond or Cox. And it's something he does bloody well.

Thats true but the main thing I like about him is that as well as being able to break up play and pass simplem, which he does most of the time, he has the technique to play the longer more creative ball when required.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Da Man Clay said:
Hmm maybe, however a bloke who has played about 6 games in league 1 isn't going to rate too highly on a list of players to get them back to the premier league. I vaugly remember Alexis Nicolas being the best thing since sliced bread, he now isn't even playing league football.

However a left footed centre back who has played for over a season at Championship and League 1 would.

He was Le Havre Captain was he not? Thats a higher standard of football than league 1!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The Large One said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: Good one.

That's cos he is basically there to get the ball and give it to Hammond or Cox. And it's something he does bloody well.

Something Nicolas did very well also. Got the ball and played it square.

But the 'creativity' issue i was talking about is the fact that Hammond is looking injured, and Cox has been off form since Novemeber. We might be having lots of posession in games like last week, but we aren't making the chances for the strikers.

Also, Hammond isn't really the creative midfielder. He was doing Bertins job before he came in - winning the ball and passing it to the other players. The only difference being that he can also score the odd goal. Is it a co-incidence that Hammonds form has dipped since Bertins arrival? Has he been made 'redundant' to a certain degree?

Laugh at me all you want, but that's how i see it. Just because you're big enough to laugh at my opinion on a message board doesn't make it any better or worse than yours.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
sir danny cullip said:
Thats what I thought....someone get some credible EVIDENCE on this situation please :lolol:
It's what I was told by the club when we were nattering at one of the Friends of the Albion breakfasts. I originally thought Bertin was here til the end of his contract (this season) - but I was corrected on that. I was told he still has another year after this.

All I recall reading was that we took over Bertin's contract until the end of this season. I don't recall reading that this same contract with Le Havre also expired at the end of this season.

That's what I was told anyway.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Withdean Wanderer said:

Also, Hammond isn't really the creative midfielder. He was doing Bertins job before he came in - winning the ball and passing it to the other players. The only difference being that he can also score the odd goal. Is it a co-incidence that Hammonds form has dipped since Bertins arrival? Has he been made 'redundant' to a certain degree?

The odd goal? He scored two against West Ham to help keep us up two years ago. He scored a handful last season.
Coincidence or a double hernia? It's pretty obvious what is causing Hammond's form to dip!!!

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Large One said:
It's what I was told by the club when we were nattering at one of the Friends of the Albion breakfasts. I originally thought Bertin was here til the end of his contract (this season) - but I was corrected on that. I was told he still has another year after this.

All I recall reading was that we took over Bertin's contract until the end of this season. I don't recall reading that this same contract with Le Havre also expired at the end of this season.

That's what I was told anyway.

Well whenever his contract expires I hope we're doing our upmost to offer him a 2/3 year contract.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yorkie said:
The odd goal? He scored two against West Ham to help keep us up two years ago. He scored a handful last season.
Coincidence or a double hernia? It's pretty obvious what is causing Hammond's form to dip!!!

By the 'odd goal', i mean that he can find the net! He's not prolific, but he chips in with a fair few. He's got something like 9 this season i believe? Not a bad effort. I can't see Bertin scoring though. In fact, i'm not even sure if i recall him having a shot.

And yes, it's obviously the injury that's caused his form to drop. But i don't think having two fairly similar (in style) players in the middle of the park has helped the diamond formation too much:)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Withdean Wanderer said:
Something Nicolas did very well also. Got the ball and played it square.

But the 'creativity' issue i was talking about is the fact that Hammond is looking injured, and Cox has been off form since Novemeber. We might be having lots of posession in games like last week, but we aren't making the chances for the strikers.

Laugh at me all you want, but that's how i see it. Just because you're big enough to laugh at my opinion on a message board doesn't make it any better or worse than yours.
But Hammond wasn't really there operating in what is now Bertin's role. That was originally done by Chippy, then El-Abd, and occasionally Mayo.

Hammond is the pivot in the team - and we severely miss him when he is not playing. I don't agree with the surmation that Hammond's form has dipped - for me it hasn't, and if anything he is playing better knowing that the role he feared he might have to play is being taken by someone who does it very well. For me, Hammond is creative, and he is also a very good captain.

Hammond IS also injured - he is a due a hernia operation which he will have at the end of the season. Cox is out of form (as is Robinson) and that can weigh heavily on the roles Hammond and Bertin have to play, but that doesn't alter the fact that the role Bertin is there to do is something he does really well.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Withdean Wanderer said:
By the 'odd goal', i mean that he can find the net! He's not prolific, but he chips in with a fair few. He's got something like 9 this season i believe? Not a bad effort. I can't see Bertin scoring though. In fact, i'm not even sure if i recall him having a shot.

Thats because it isnt his job! I think Bertin has the ability to play the holding midfield role which he has shown as well as Hammonds role. Given the freedom I think he could be effective going forward as well.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
sir danny cullip said:
But technically a better standard. The Le havre side played us off the park over there a few years back, were faster, stonger and showed better ability on the ball.

Dont think its technically a better standard than the championship.

However reading the press release from when he was signed I have the feeling TLO is right.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
sir danny cullip said:
Thats because it isnt his job! I think Bertin has the ability to play the holding midfield role which he has shown as well as Hammonds role. Given the freedom I think he could be effective going forward as well.
I agree with SDC, he is very good at finding space and often makes the right choices with his movement.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
Unlikely seeing as he still has another year on his contract at Le Havre.

Like many I thought that he had severed his ties with Le Havre and we had signed him on a short term contract until the end of the season, rather than on loan. At the end of which he becomes a free agent to negotiate a deal anywhere.

Whatever his situation you cannot deny that he is way above anybody we have in his football ability and has obviously been taught how to play simple balls and make simple tackles correctly.

I think that he would hold his own in the top Championship sides and possibly even in the lower premiership.

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What about the shot Worthington had in the first half that beat flinders and just dipped over the bar?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Andy Naylor is not infalible - soon after we started at withdean we were playing Torquay (we lost) but an Ipswich scout was there in the North Stand.

I told a local media personality that he was there to watch Gary Hart (totally made up btw as he was watching Chris Brandon who is now at Huddersfield!) and by the Tuesday it was back page news in the Argus under a Naylor exclusive :)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
BensGrandad said:

Whatever his situation you cannot deny that he is way above anybody we have in his football ability and has obviously been taught how to play simple balls and make simple tackles correctly.

I think that he would hold his own in the top Championship sides and possibly even in the lower premiership.

totally agree - he is the best breaker of play I have seen us have for many a year (maybe Dennis Mortimer) and he does doe the basics exceedingly well. Some up and coming stars (enter suggested name here) could learn from that.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
ROSM said:
totally agree - he is the best breaker of play I have seen us have for many a year (maybe Dennis Mortimer) and he does doe the basics exceedingly well. Some up and coming stars (enter suggested name here) could learn from that.

Indeed - he seems to nip in Carrick like hardly going to ground to win the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here