Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Navarro - did he touch the ball tonight?

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
He is more effective against a better passing team where he can break up their passing moves before picking out one of the attacking players. But as Mendoza said most of the time last night it was lumped over the midfield's heads up to the big strikers. He still played well and did the job required.

Thanks- I didn't quite expect all the other negative comments to a genuine question. I'll support any player in an Albion shirt but I honestly didn't see him involved in much of the play. The point about Colchester long balls is a valid one - Elphick and El-Abd were outstanding so I guess I'll suspend judgment for the time being - as long as we don't feel the loss of playing just one striker up front as that seems to be the price we pay. I trust Gus.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Thanks- I didn't quite expect all the other negative comments to a genuine question. I'll support any player in an Albion shirt but I honestly didn't see him involved in much of the play. The point about Colchester long balls is a valid one - Elphick and El-Abd were outstanding so I guess I'll suspend judgment for the time being - as long as we don't feel the loss of playing just one striker up front as that seems to be the price we pay. I trust Gus.

Without wishing to go into a completely different subject, the 4-5-1 formation has made us very difficult to break down but puts huge pressure on Bennett, Lua Lua and Murray as our attacking threat. Interesting that a striker hasn't scored since we've played 4-5-1 which means we're relying goals from midfield/defence. I hope now we have some confidence back and know we can get results that we go back to 2 up front. The question is then who to drop, Navarro, Dicker or Lua Lua would be the obvious choices but I hope Navarro carries on playing as he has been awesome in the last few months

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I am not convinced about the way we play 4-5-1. Two wide players are a luxury away from home unless we are streets ahead skill wise. Pity Bennett cannot play on the left, we found out. That means dropping the potential match winner Lua lua to find a partner for Glen Murray up front.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Still not convinced by his presence on the park. I watch where the play is and he simply isn't there. He must be doing an awful lot off the ball to justify his place. Gus -or anybody please convince me that we can afford to 'carry' such an anonymous player.

Navarro was superb.

He helped cover the back four and kept Prutton and O'Toole, two classy central midfield players who should be playing at a higher level (about the only two Colchester players of any quality) out of the game.

Fat Nav, along with Crofts and Dicker as a midfield trio, were the reason why Colchester resorted to so much hoofball.

I'm sure against less-equipped sides, Boothroyd would mix things up a little bit more than he did last night.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The alternate view, heard at Withdean, is that he is a fat scouse **** who should come off of the all pie diet for a bit. Don't forget, these comments are from people that DO watch him play.

The last few games I've been more impressed by him. Seems to be protecting the back four and playing the easy ball out. Today I thought he was off the pace.
To me, Navarro provides the link between the back 4 and midfield and is one of the reasons why we've moved from just clearing from the back to actuallky passing it out. The reason he was able to do less last night is because Cochester weren't trying to come past him with the ball they were just hoofing it right over the top of him onto Elphick and El-Abd. Lots of times last night Navarro just took a short pass from one of the backs and moved it on to one of the midfielders in a better position, but did so before the commentator could even say his name. If he hadn't done that then the alternative would've been Elphick or El-Abd just whacking it into the channels for Murray to chase. Just like Colchester were doing, in fact

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Navarro was superb.

He helped cover the back four and kept Prutton and O'Toole, two classy central midfield players who should be playing at a higher level (about the only two Colchester players of any quality) out of the game.

Fat Nav, along with Crofts and Dicker as a midfield trio, were the reason why Colchester resorted to so much hoofball.

I'm sure against less-equipped sides, Boothroyd would mix things up a little bit more than he did last night.

Thank you. That's the kind of insight I guess I was hoping for.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
you fcuking muppets, if you watch ther ball and listen to the sh1t commentator, you will see hat you see and hear what you hear.

but if fior a few minutes you just follow nav, you will see what he does, don't follow the ball just follow nav, and you'll relaise why he helped take the doones to the double.

leave off him, he does he base job in na 5 man mid just fine.

You are correct, if you watch him he cuts off the angles for passes to the strikers. Defensive midfield is not always about winning tackles, often it is about preventing attacks through good positioning.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
People who don't realise what he does will be the same people who thought Hammond was shit (not that I think he would be better than any of our current 3 but would have been a shit lot better than what we had most of last season), and the same who think Barry or Hargreaves for England are shit.

As others have said, just look at the amount of goals we let in without a Navarro type playing

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
People who don't realise what he does will be the same people who thought Hammond was shit (not that I think he would be better than any of our current 3 but would have been a shit lot better than what we had most of last season), and the same who think Barry or Hargreaves for England are shit.

As others have said, just look at the amount of goals we let in without a Navarro type playing

Don't generalise Skint. I think we know that he has been contributing and were just asking for someone in the know to explain how and what the role entails. I loved Dean Hammond by the way and rate Hargreaves very highly.

I do sometimes wonder if users of NSC are a little bipolar. Views are so vehement - everything is black or white; shit or stunning. Players are crap or world beaters. Sometimes - as in this case - is it possible to actually just ask for some input and views without someone else climbing all over you to explain what a c%&t you are for having a go....even when you just patently are not.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Don't generalise Skint. I think we know that he has been contributing and were just asking for someone in the know to explain how and what the role entails. I loved Dean Hammond by the way and rate Hargreaves very highly.

I do sometimes wonder if users of NSC are a little bipolar. Views are so vehement - everything is black or white; shit or stunning. Players are crap or world beaters. Sometimes - as in this case - is it possible to actually just ask for some input and views without someone else climbing all over you to explain what a c%&t you are for having a go....even when you just patently are not.

For the record I have no bipolar views on Navarro at all. I actually don't think he's that brilliant a player, i just think that his role in the team is that important and he plays it pretty well. I'm not having a go at you, although i am surprised that someone who seems to have a decent understanding of the game needs to have that role explained to them, especially if you rate Hargreaves? :shrug:

Anyhoo, i think most people (yourself included) think he's much better than he was at the start of the season. I don't get to anywhere near as many games as i would like to nowadays due to work so never saw him at that stage but by all accounts he was unfit and got some justified stick

Still not convinced by his presence on the park. I watch where the play is and he simply isn't there. He must be doing an awful lot off the ball to justify his place. Gus -or anybody please convince me that we can afford to 'carry' such an anonymous player.

!:facepalm:! I saw what i thought was a quality defensive midfielder (which is the same opinion that i gained from Charlton. Sweeps in front of the defence. Uses the ball simply, gets on with his job. He allows Dicker, Croft et al to get forward.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
I thought Navarro done well last night , hes a much better player when Dickers playing , Dicker brings the best out of him .

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
I thought he played really well last night, was shocked when I saw the title of this thread. Not every player can beat five men and stick the ball in the top corner. Football is a team game and he plays a huge part in our team. Take him out and you'll notice the difference, people will just waltze through our midfield like they did last season.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The better Navarro plays, the less times he touches the ball. One day he'll give a 10/10 world class performance where he won't touch the ball once.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here