Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nations League & other international football, October 2022

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If we lose badly to a (poor) Germany, is there any chance Southgate may go?

Losing to Germany at Wembley with heightened media criticism and a cacophony of boos ringing round the stadium?

At least Keegan knew his time was up and did the honourable thing. But sadly I think it's unlikely this time around.

Southgate said that last night was a step in the right direction.

This rather begs the question of what a step in the wrong direction might look like.

I'll concede that a 1-0 loss away in Italy is better than a 0-4 home Hungarian hammering, so in theory he's probably correct.

But this isn't quite the level of aspiration that England fans are expecting 57 days before the World Cup starts.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Losing to Germany at Wembley with heightened media criticism and a cacophony of boos ringing round the stadium?

At least Keegan knew his time was up and did the honourable thing. But sadly I think it's unlikely this time around.

Southgate said that last night was a step in the right direction.

This rather begs the question of what a step in the wrong direction might look like.

I'll concede that a 1-0 loss away in Italy is better than a 0-4 home Hungarian hammering, so in theory he's probably correct.

But this isn't quite the level of aspiration that England fans are expecting 57 days before the World Cup starts.

It wasn’t that long ago that some on here were touting him as something special.

Not me, I have always thought he was tactically a lucky clown

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Wouldn’t it be funny if GS was sacked or resigned and the job was offered to Potter
It would be too costly for the FA to pay out his contract at Chelsea.

I think Howe is more likely, as I could see the Saudi's more likely to release him (cheaply)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Mitrovic with a casual hattrick against Sweden. Not watching the game but a 4-1-loss says quite a bit about the current standard of the Swedish team.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Looks like Duffy is being managed out of the Ireland squad with Kenny starting to bring through youngsters.

Molumby over Hendricks to

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Looks like Duffy is being managed out of the Ireland squad with Kenny starting to bring through youngsters.
Duffy is done - he has four central defenders ahead of him - Egan, Omobamidele, Collins and O'Shea - he might make an appearance as a sub in a friendly but that is what is left of his international career.

Molumby over Hendricks to
Molumby is a regular in the WBA team and has been playing well - Hendricks has been on the downside of his career for a couple of years now.

The game showed the talent that is coming though in the Irish team - 7 of the starting 11 are under 23 years of age - but it also once again showed the utter tactical ineptitude of Stephen Kenny.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The only thing stopping me wanting Southgate binned off was the prospect of losing Potter to the England job.

That drawback has now disappeared, so.... Southgate OUT.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Screenshot_20220925-133030~2.png

:moo:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mitrovic with a casual hattrick against Sweden. Not watching the game but a 4-1-loss says quite a bit about the current standard of the Swedish team.

I didn't watch the game, but could it perhaps say more about the nature of this 'competition'?

There's been a lot of odd upsetting the apple cart results throughout.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I didn't watch the game, but could it perhaps say more about the nature of this 'competition'?

There's been a lot of odd upsetting the apple cart results throughout.

With the competition being useless and the World Cup not far away, I imagine every player in the qualified teams are thinking "whatever happens, don't get injured".

In Swedens case I think it is more about a combination of poor quality and many of the best players getting little to no game time currently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here