Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Service

National Servoce for todays CHAVS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dandyman

In London village.
Unfortunately this is not true anymore. The Armed Forces esp Army are continually being critisised for attempting to recruit from underpriviledged areas trying to get poorly educated teenagers to join. The Welsh assembly recently tried to get the Army banned from coming into schools in poorer parts of the country because they were deliberatly targeting poorly performing pupils.

the Army are even having trouble recruiting these types as many poorer areas are undergoing regeneration and there is plenty of unskilled and semi skilled work on building sites where they can go home with a lot more money than if they joined up.
\\

Not sure if the same is true for the RAF or RN but if you look at the Army little has changed over the years - the ranks are still full of those with few other options in life.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I would be in favour.

Also anyone that hasn't been employed in the previous 3 years under the age of 50 should be involved in some scheme aswell

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I would be in favour.

Also anyone that hasn't been employed in the previous 3 years under the age of 50 should be involved in some scheme aswell
Just as I said earlier then;)

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
National service does not mean they he to fight, They can do catering corp or mechanics or something like that.

True, true but it is the discipline these people do not want.

The support functions such as Catering, Engineers etc etc still have a level of discipline.

It's the regime that these people don't want and additionally do not like.

In regards to the Army Catering Corps, their first job is a chef, their second is soldier. These support functions may not fight but still to an extent go to the theatre of war

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I wasnt aware that Chefs were the Stretcher bearers for the Scotch Guardson Tumbledown Mountain in The Falklands! Blimey, imagine, you cook dinner ...now go get those dead bodies!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
True, true but it is the discipline these people do not want.

The support functions such as Catering, Engineers etc etc still have a level of discipline.

It's the regime that these people don't want and additionally do not like.

In regards to the Army Catering Corps, their first job is a chef, their second is soldier. These support functions may not fight but still to an extent go to the theatre of war

What I meant was we can give them the discipline without letting them anywhere near a gun nate.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I wasnt aware that Chefs were the Stretcher bearers for the Scotch Guardson Tumbledown Mountain in The Falklands! Blimey, imagine, you cook dinner ...now go get those dead bodies!

What do you imagine the Royal Marine bandsmen and women do as well?

This subject used to get a regular airing in messes across all Services - and the general opinion was that we didn't want these people. There is an over-riding need for discipline, and in some cases, blind obedience. You simply do not have the time or opportunity to "discuss" an option sometimes, and the sort of people you want to throw into the Forces are the same sort that would not take too kindly to an attitude readjusting slap around the head. Brutal yes, required? Absolutely. With a team of four people at the sharp end, you cannot afford one of them to wimp out or cause dissent at a time when you need total effort and concentration.

The UK Forces are good because they are volunteers. Even looking back to NS days, those that made a career out of it volunteered to stay. Whilst you may have got a decent result from the NS guys in those days, it simply would not work with today's society - it used to be hard enough training up those that wanted to be there, because they simply were not ready for the discipline and hardship that came with some of the jobs.

Adrie - you aren't too old to sign up, and if you want the Foreign Legion details, I can supply them for you! Ignore the shit about it being a career for meatheads and those with no options - look at the amount of graduates that are currently serving, plus those that see the Forces as a nice option for a CV and not necessarily a career. You would be amazed at the valuable skills that they can teach you in five years that will put you ahead of other people in a tight jobs market - leadership, time management, personal administration and organisation skills, etc.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
yeh

just a shame its to f***ing late for ME

Had you wanted to join the military you could have - and indeed almost certainly still can.

If there was a reason you couldn't - such as failing a medical - you still wouldn't have done national service, you'd have been made do an exceptionally boring civil service job.

On that note, my eyesight has now improved to a level where I can join the Air Corps (failed the medical on eyesight initially...) but I think I'd fail it on being seriously unfit now :(

National Service should be brought back for everyone or not brought back at all, although perhaps something should be devised for the kind of vicious snobs who think that only one section of society - inevitably one they do not consider themselves to be a member of - should do it. Tossers.

As it is, I don't think it should be brought back - and a bunch of politicians too old to do it - for it would be they who would bring it back - telling other people to do it would do quite the opposite of instil respect.

It's just an outmoded concept from a period when elites thought oiks needed teaching how to obey orders.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
National Service should be brought back for everyone or not brought back at all, although perhaps something should be devised for the kind of vicious snobs who think that only one section of society - inevitably one they do not consider themselves to be a member of - should do it. Tossers.

I agree with that. I don't see how you can single out one section of society to do it and not others. How would you define a 'chav'?

I also think that there should be an option to do some sort of community service, as they do in Germany. Friends of mine were called up for national service but did things like drive ambulances or work in old people's homes. If such a scheme were introduced here, I'd be all for it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
National service is the way to go and not just for Chavs. Anyone who is out of work for 3 years should be made to do national service or if they choose not to then they do not get any benefits anymore.

Adolf Hitler for Prime Minister ? It might surprise you to hear that the vast majority of unemployed people don't want to be, quite often they live in areas where there is no work. They may also have worked in industries that aren't there anymore such as miners and steel workers. Also, they could be too old as well.

Well thought out proposal though.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I agree with that. I don't see how you can single out one section of society to do it and not others. How would you define a 'chav'?

I also think that there should be an option to do some sort of community service, as they do in Germany. Friends of mine were called up for national service but did things like drive ambulances or work in old people's homes. If such a scheme were introduced here, I'd be all for it.

That is probably the best idea so far. Putting back into the community!! Although you will get some people who will not sit up and play ball. Someone smoking a spliff or snorting coke off the dash board of an ambulance probably wont work.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think we all agree that youngsters respect for those around them and for society in general is getting worse (although all generations consider youth to be losing respect).

However, is National Service the right approach, or are their other things that we can do. National Service is a response, not a way to stop it from happening

Personally I think society and the way we live our lives is to blame.

Firstly a large number of parents do not really care what their children are upto. Latchkey kids spring to mind. This could be due to both parents having to work and not being there. Although perhaps we should all start to see that we cant have everything and perhaps kids vs swanky car, swanky holidays needs to be done away with. It should be kids firts in everything.

Similarly they do not have time for them. How many kids, who cause problems have parents who never take them out, never play with them i.e footie in the park etc. They just tell em to get out of the house and to stand on street corners. Boredom breeds problems.

So parenting radically needs to change. Maybe parenting/respect for society should be compulsory for all school kids from say 12 onwards. The cycle needs to be broken somewhere.

The law needs to be toughned. Yobs need to pay for what they do. ASBO's are a joke, they are a badge of honour. Yobs need to either pay themselves i.e their leisure time taken away, or their parents should pay for their kids antics. Courts should have the power to take away their TVs, Cars etc to pay. They would have to if their dog caused damage, so why not their kids.

Until, something is done, then societies ills will get worse. I just get the feeling that National Service isn't what the armed forces want (why should they try and solve parenting problems) and in any case kids cause problems way before 18 i.e before they entered NS.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

I also think that there should be an option to do some sort of community service, as they do in Germany.

When offenders are punished they can get community service already, with something like 100 hours unpaid work. If they fail to complete it then they are taken back into court to be re-sentenced.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No point in talking about National Service. It's time to make the parents take some responsibility for their brats. Punish the parents and maybe then they might make more of an effort to make their kids understand the difference between right and wrong. It all begins in the home as should not be the responsibilty of teachers and 'people in authority'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here