Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nathan tyson

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I have no real basis for this, it's just a feeling based on what I've seen of him live and on the telly, but I don't think Ricky Lambert will continue to score goals in the quantity he has for the last couple of years. He never did that much until two seasons back, isn't that young, isn't mobile, doesn't have much in the way of natural skill. He's had a great purple patch I admit, but I don't see him as a genuine class act who will continue banging them in for the next three or four years.

I agree with this.
Think that Barnard is a better player. Also, Pardew is now a bit of a loser and possibly past it as a manager.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lambert is a menace at this level but is far too slow to succeed any higher. That's why no clubs have come in for him this summer. Grant Holt is the same, I just can't see him scoring for Norwich like he did last time out.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
If true, it's another good signing by Pardew. I don't see any evidence that he's going to mess it up, on the contrary. Whether you like it or not, Southampton are now a very well run club with money, a good management team and a very strong playing squad. As mentioned elsewhere, they will walk league one.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
All ive seen is that they had an offer of 475k turned down. What I want to know is why arnt we bidding?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Tyson and murray would be class. such a shame as we blatently could afford 500k

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
£300k Murray
£75k Forster
£150k McNulty
£125k Jake Wright
£250k Greer
£130k Tunnicliffe and Dicker
£300k Dickinson
£75k Craig Davies
£250k Bennett
£100k Barnes

It all adds up, thats approaching £2million

thats in 2 and half (?) seasons.
Soton have been in league one for 1 season and spent alot more than that

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I agree that Southampton being able to spend so much is a joke after having been in the shit so recently. However I have to pull you up on the Lee Grant thing. Burnley want to buy him off Wednesday as I understand it?

It's not really a joke.

They can spend money because their BILLIONAIRE owner came in and dug them out of the shit

They should win the league this year - which will put them under massive pressure.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
They are also in for Vassell and want Antonio back from Reading. Should walk it but Pardew had similar riches at Reading and nearly blew it.

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
£300k Murray
£75k Forster
£150k McNulty
£125k Jake Wright
£250k Greer
£130k Tunnicliffe and Dicker
£300k Dickinson
£75k Craig Davies
£250k Bennett
£100k Barnes

It all adds up, thats approaching £2million

And £60k for Holroyd. Having not seen Holroyd play, I'm not in a position to comment on his abilities, but I remember we bought him at around the same time Barnard went to Saints for £250k and it annoyed me that we'd taken a£60k punt on a non-leaguer when for not too much more cash we could have had a decent striker with a proven record at this level.

I know Poyet has said since that we were priced out by his wage demands, and the same for Billy Paynter, it's just frustrating that we seem to splash cash for players who "have potential", then let them go for free or worse, end up paying them off (a la Jonny Dixon). Would the combined wages and transfer fees of Craig Davies, Jake Wright, Liam Dickinson, Chris Holroyd & Gary Hart have paid for Lee Barnard or Nathan Tyson? I reckon so. I'd much rather push the boat out for an established striker this year than take a cheaper gamble on unknown quantities like Erik the Viking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this a fact that he has gone to Saints or can I dream that we can still steal him from under Southampton's noses?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
GUS BID 500K FOR HIM!

He would be what we need!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here