Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] NASA Perseverance Mars Landing!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Aye, some radio-controlled car driving around filming dust and dirt... big boost. Very useful.

Whoosh! You just replied to a post full of British confectionary puns :wink:

Edit: I see some dullard has put Swanny out of his misery :lolol:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The level of engineering and scientific skill required to design and build something like this is off the charts.

Must be so nerve-wracking for those involved waiting to see that it has landed successfully.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’m a little shocked and saddened that we’ve delved this deep into chocolate pun territory and no one has referenced Aero space yet.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Cynical as I am about spunking away money on this sort of thing, my daughters love it so we watch avidly. However, my daughter pointed out, if the object is to collect samples for future missions to gather - then why can't they just collect new samples when the next ship arrives and save all the time and money on today's mission?
Sorry, forgot to say that I'm trying to stay on topic!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
This sort of mission isn't a picnic, and collecting a flake of Mars appears to be extremely difficult. A bit of me hopes they fudge the whole thing. I'll try not to revel in it!

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Cynical as I am about spunking away money on this sort of thing, my daughters love it so we watch avidly. However, my daughter pointed out, if the object is to collect samples for future missions to gather - then why can't they just collect new samples when the next ship arrives and save all the time and money on today's mission?
Sorry, forgot to say that I'm trying to stay on topic!
I would guess that collecting samples takes time and energy. To leave Mars would take a huge amount of energy. Its all about minimising energy use for the returning mission.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Yes, the possibility of finding possible fossilised microbes or bacteria is truly exciting. I would be more interested if there was little green men.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Truly brilliant TV. Reminds me of back in 1969 when we were woken up by my Dad to watch the Moon landings. 3am or something un-Godly, even for me a 12 year old lad....

Space exploration is really the business.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here