Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Why would we rule out a deal yesterday & today change our minds? Unless Napoli are suddenly offering silly money, which I doubt they are.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Surely will only happen if we have a replacement in mind. He will start tomorrow, would be silly to sell IMO.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Billy is essential in the transitional formations FH seems to be picking at the moment if Wieffer is injured. But I don’t think that he is going to be first choice with Mats fit.

Perhaps O’Riley was an option for a deeper role but he looked like he was playing attacking midfield against Crawley.

Could Baleba be the backup for Wieffer if Gilmour leaves?

Hopefully WBG is playing tomorrow but I’d understand if he doesn’t see himself as first pick material for FH’s ultimate formation.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think the majority of fans on here would like Wee Billy to stay, he has been a model professional on and off the field so far for us, and I have heard no bitching or moaning on social media like a fair few that see bright lights and go doolally pip when an offer comes in from a supposedly better team. A credit to the young man and his agent as well to be fair.

If he goes, he goes, there is a plan that we all trust, and Wee Billy will goes with our blessing and appreciation sadly.
There is something about Wee Billy, he comes across as very likeable, homely, and down to earth.

I hope he stays, but understand both sides if he goes.

I fancy he scores Saturday if he is in the team..

Gilmour Fan

Jan 15, 2024
I think the majority of fans on here would like Wee Billy to stay, he has been a model professional on and off the field so far for us, and I have heard no bitching or moaning on social media like a fair few that see bright lights and go doolally pip when an offer comes in from a supposedly better team. A credit to the young man and his agent as well to be fair.

If he goes, he goes, there is a plan that we all trust, and Wee Billy will goes with our blessing and appreciation sadly.
There is something about Wee Billy, he comes across as very likeable, homely, and down to earth.

Seems to have always been the case in terms or his attitude and personality, as this documentary shows.

Seems to have always been the case in terms of his attitude and personality, as this documentary shows.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
i think the manager wants to keep him and TB wants to balance the books. I suspect if the offer is big enough then he will be off. Personally, I am surprised he isn’t part of our longer term plans, bearing in mind his value to the team last season and his personal contribution to Scotland in the Euros. Bad move to let him go.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Seems to have always been the case in terms or his attitude and personality, as this documentary shows.

Seems to have always been the case in terms of his attitude and personality, as this documentary shows.

Yeah watched that a while I go, so good I watched twice, just like you...

;)

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think Billy is essential in the transitional formations FH seems to be picking at the moment if Wieffer is injured. But I don’t think that he is going to be first choice with Mats fit.

Perhaps O’Riley was an option for a deeper role but he looked like he was playing attacking midfield against Crawley.

Could Baleba be the backup for Wieffer if Gilmour leaves?

Hopefully WBG is playing tomorrow but I’d understand if he doesn’t see himself as first pick material for FH’s ultimate formation.
This is the proviso as well as O’Riley‘s injury status. WBG may well have earned a reprieve if O’Riley is out for a substantial time but I wouldn’t bank on it and with the new influx of midfielders he may be more expendable than he was last season.

And yes, Baleba as a deeper midfielder would fit FB’s tweaks to our system of play - I think a partnership with Wieffer and Baleba would work very well.

Let’s not forget that while we have spent £2m odd on new players to deepen the squad, wages/amortisation require ongoing expenditure - we simply don’t have the luxury to keep every player that’s been pushed down the pecking order on the bench when they could either be sold or sent out on loan. We still need to stick to our sustainable running costs.

Let’s also not forget, while WBG is a great technical player, committed and consummate professional, many fans still think he has been unable to fulfil the hole left by Mac Allister (partly unfair when the other half of the pivot (Caceido’s role) was also unfulfilled). Between them I believe Wieffer, Minteh (who cuts in to a CAM position when playing) , Gruda and especially Georginio Rutter will address the midfield issues we’ve had since losing Caceido/MacAllister.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
i think the manager wants to keep him and TB wants to balance the books. I suspect if the offer is big enough then he will be off. Personally, I am surprised he isn’t part of our longer term plans, bearing in mind his value to the team last season and his personal contribution to Scotland in the Euros. Bad move to let him go.
TB stated that we want him to stay in a recent Albion podcast

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Great move for WBG. Sad to see him leave, was superb last season and showed once again, how brilliant he is last Saturday.

No point in standing in the way of a move he very clearly desires because we have a player out for a suggested 6-8 weeks when there is good money on the table. He'll be fab at Napoli and it's a great next step for him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
WBG clearly wants to go. Shame really but as we know we don’t stand in a players way

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Very sad but Gilmour has had a lot of personal stuff going on. Don't blame him if he wants a fresh start. Hopefully the O'Reilly injury has at least meant we get a few more £ for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here