Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
A player's value also depends crucially on the view of the manager. A new manager can view players differently. We have to trust in his view.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
A player's value also depends crucially on the view of the manager. A new manager can view players differently. We have to trust in his view.
A player for the starting eleven then?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Selling something for considerably less than its worth that you didn't want to sell anyway is bad business.
I don't believe we are doing that for one minute. Why would we? There is more to this, Bloom and Barber don't make silly mistakes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If WBG was being flogged at a fire sale valuation, there'd be a queue of Premier League sides nipping in to pick him up. As far as I can tell, no English clubs have tried to get involved.

As I'm sure I said about 60 pages ago, the mooted sale price does seem to be on the low side, but the football transfer market is very good at determining value due to the wide range of participants.

Beyond that, in Bloom and Barber we have two of the shrewdest operators around. They certainly won't be giving any player away for less than they should.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
If WBG was being flogged at a fire sale valuation, there'd be a queue of Premier League sides nipping in to pick him up. As far as I can tell, no English clubs have tried to get involved.

As I'm sure I said about 60 pages ago, the mooted sale price does seem to be on the low side, but the football transfer market is very good at determining value due to the wide range of participants.

Beyond that, in Bloom and Barber we have two of the shrewdest operators around. They certainly won't be giving any player away for less than they should.

*Cough* Gyokeres

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Like Burn, Trossard etc - he wants to go, we have an offer which is acceptable we all move on.

Surely we know better then think the club are going to hold a player against their will and the potential unrest it’ll cause

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely we know better then think the club are going to hold a player against their will and the potential unrest it’ll cause

Like we did with Caicedo? If an injury means we have to hold on to him until January, I'd think he'd understand.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Like we did with Caicedo? If an injury means we have to hold on to him until January, I'd think he'd understand.
There was demand for Caicedo, he has a significantly higher ceiling than Gilmour, he’d signed a new contract a few months before.

The club have known for weeks Billy wants to leave.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
*Cough* Gyokeres
That's really not the same.

The sale of Gyokeres was fair value at the time. No one could have foreseen the quite frankly staggering upward trajectory his career would subsequently take.

All clubs let young players go because they don't look like making the required grade to match the club's ambitions. Most go on to carve out respectable careers some way from the top level of the game, whilst a small handful prove people wrong and go onto greater things. It doesn't mean the original decision to release or sell for a low valuation was a wrong one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There was demand for Caicedo, he has a significantly higher ceiling than Gilmour

That's not relevant to whether or not we should have held onto him. Arsenal offered, he wanted to go, we said no and he signed a new contract.

The club have known for weeks Billy wants to leave.
And for weeks we've failed to get a decent offer for him. £15m ish is simply not enough for a PL midfielder we want to keep.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And for weeks we've failed to get a decent offer for him. £15m ish is simply not enough for a PL midfielder we want to keep.
If the club wanted to keep him, the club would be keeping him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That's not relevant to whether or not we should have held onto him. Arsenal offered, he wanted to go, we said no and he signed a new contract.

Maybe Bloom can’t negotiate then 🤷🏻‍♂️

Billy Gilmour is basically a better Liam Bridcutt - like Bozza says it’s telling no Premier League sides are in for him

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the club wanted to keep him, the club would be keeping him.

The club have said they want to keep him. Obviously not enough I guess. It's impossible to know what they really think.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
As ever, trust the club. If we are honest, if someone had said in May we'd be selling WBG for around £15m, every single one of us would have been surprised by the low figure but, as others have said, there are clearly reasons, the club know what they're doing and they don’t get much wrong.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
That's really not the same.

The sale of Gyokeres was fair value at the time. No one could have foreseen the quite frankly staggering upward trajectory his career would subsequently take.

All clubs let young players go because they don't look like making the required grade to match the club's ambitions. Most go on to carve out respectable careers some way from the top level of the game, whilst a small handful prove people wrong and go onto greater things. It doesn't mean the original decision to release or sell for a low valuation was a wrong one.

Fair enough.

I was under the impression that the club employed people to do exactly that. Even half the dumbasses on here could see his potential.
I bleed blue and white but sometimes remove my head from my sphincter to see where the club do occasionally **** up.

I was heavily critical of WBG when he first started playing for us, but believe he's turned into an excellent midfielder. Think it'll be a shame if he goes, especially for the prices being quoted.

If he'd been playing elsewhere and it was us signing him now for £15M, I'd be thinking we're mugging the other club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here