Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I read the posts in this thread and end up of confused.

At its simplest, we need at least 4 CMs so can cover 2 injuries/suspensions/loss of form. Wieffer, O’Riley, Gruda, Baleba, Milner makes 5, plus Hinsh and Ferdi (if reports are believed) if needed. It starts getting a bit too cosy.

Loaning out Baleba is realistically the only option to lighten the load other than selling WBG. Can’t dare risk criticising our recruitment policy but it has created a slightly embarrassing situation.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sam Wallace’s take in The Telegraph is encouraging for WBG fans. Supposition but a very experienced journalist:
“it was João Pedro and Billy Gilmour who stood out. The latter has been reported to be on the brink of a move to Napoli but Hürzeler seemed to discourage that suggestion. He would not say explicitly that the Scotland midfielder would stay but there seems to be a good chance.”

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Baleba is still improving. If the manager prefers Gilmour to Baleba and everyone else (save Wieffer) then WBG won't be going. If he goes, then it's because he's not preferred.
Not exactly (or even vaguely) aware of where and how our new recruits play - but it would be a bit of an embarrassment if O'Riley and Gruda were kept out of the team by the good form of WBG, wouldn't it?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sam Wallace’s take in The Telegraph is encouraging for WBG fans. Supposition but a very experienced journalist:
“it was João Pedro and Billy Gilmour who stood out. The latter has been reported to be on the brink of a move to Napoli but Hürzeler seemed to discourage that suggestion. He would not say explicitly that the Scotland midfielder would stay but there seems to be a good chance.”
Jonathan Pearce said a similar thing at the beginning of his MoTD commentary. Really hope so - I'm a big fan of BG.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Edit: Just repeated what @Greg Bobkin wrote above

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My MotM today.

I’m concerned that WBG and Wieffer are too similar to play together. However, I can now see FH switching between the pair for that deep lying play maker role.

The player(s) making way soon for the likes of Rutter and O’Riley are surely Milner and Pedro (but only if Hürzeler needs him at the No.9).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’ve not been a Gilmour fan and have no issue selling him but I enjoyed his performance today though I think some have got a bit carried away and I thought Milner was slightly better of the two. Thought he was more effective than at any time last season though.

Looking forward to seeing more of a combination of Baleba, Wieffer and O’Reilly in centre midfield which potentially looks much stronger.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I read the posts in this thread and end up of confused.

At its simplest, we need at least 4 CMs so can cover 2 injuries/suspensions/loss of form. Wieffer, O’Riley, Gruda, Baleba, Milner makes 5, plus Hinsh and Ferdi (if reports are believed) if needed. It starts getting a bit too cosy.

Loaning out Baleba is realistically the only option to lighten the load other than selling WBG. Can’t dare risk criticising our recruitment policy but it has created a slightly embarrassing situation.
Gruda isn't a CM. He's an attacking midfielder or winger.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not exactly (or even vaguely) aware of where and how our new recruits play - but it would be a bit of an embarrassment if O'Riley and Gruda were kept out of the team by the good form of WBG, wouldn't it?

I don't think so. If Billy played better than expected, that's not the fault of the recruitment team. We also can't predict how many injuries we'll get, or whether we get a cup run or not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There’s an air of please stay/nostalgia in favour of Billy.

Possibly his best performance for us today. But creatively not the level of a MacA or Gross. Yet?

Definitely not as good as Alexis, and a different player to Gross.

It's a new manager and a slightly new style, so who knows how well he could do.

I'll trust the club to make the right decision.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
His development has been outstanding. Top five CBs in the world at 30. Definitely learnt a lot from Dunk.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think so. If Billy played better than expected, that's not the fault of the recruitment team. We also can't predict how many injuries we'll get, or whether we get a cup run or not.
If we pay £30M for a player who turns out to be not as good as what we've got, and not good enough to replace them as our first choice, that wouldn't be embarrassing?

Hmmmm...........................

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
His development has been outstanding. Top five CBs in the world at 30. Definitely learnt a lot from Dunk.
Billy is great. But no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here