Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I'm not saying I'd drive him to Napoli myself - it's a bloody long way after all - but, if I had my pilot's licence and there was a whip round to cover aviation fuel, I'd fly him down to Italy, and enjoy a pizza before coming home.
I’ll hire a Vespa and scooter the last bit with him myself

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Billy Gilmour is many things.

A £50-60m player isn't one of them.
That's one take. Here's another:

With his current quality and development trajectory, he should reach the level Mac Allister had when he really started to show he was a world class midfielder. He is already a high quality player in the Premier League. When he was missing for a seven game spell in February and March, we played Championship level football every week.

His passing, positioning and reading of the game is elite tier stuff and his duelling has improved a lot. He is a key player for us and one of the most promising defensive playmakers in the world. There is no chance we are letting him go for any less than £50m.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So is it basically only Baleba who isn’t one of our CMs (at the start of the summer) who hasn’t now been linked with a move away? Or have I missed him?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's one take. Here's another:

With his current quality and development trajectory, he should reach the level Mac Allister had when he really started to show he was a world class midfielder. He is already a high quality player in the Premier League. When he was missing for a seven game spell in February and March, we played Championship level football every week.

His passing, positioning and reading of the game is elite tier stuff and his duelling has improved a lot. He is a key player for us and one of the most promising defensive playmakers in the world. There is no chance we are letting him go for any less than £50m.
Blimey.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As has been proved before, this is not the best way of conducting transfer business.
The good news, for some at least, is I have minimal (read: no) involvement in Albion's transfer business.

But the "I'd drive him there myself" scale is the official method of determining a player's worth.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Every time a player leaves for a chunky fee, our financial stability improves and a new young star comes in. I'd miss Groß for the sheer joy of a Groß turn and Dunky for local hero status, but beyond that I just enjoy our stars while we have them, then move on. It's not like Brighton builds up one star who leaves a gaping hole when he leaves, it's a production line of brilliant talent throughout the team. I'd rather have one or two years of their their best young superstar skills then another one replaces them, than wait till their star wanes or injury robs them of their usp.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If Hürzeler wants Wee Billy. He stays. End of. If he doesn’t, he leaves to go abroad for well below £40m.
Doesn't this report/post make it clear that this is the case. "[Billy is] a very important player and at the moment they are not open to listening to offers for him."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
why are we upset that other clubs are "interested" in our players. this hardly ever means we sell them and the club have said - in this story at least - that we're not interested in selling him.

So this is good news right. Better to have players who other clubs rate. ?
I think THPP is concerned about wee Billy leaving , rather than another club merely being interested. Eh, @Tom Hark Preston Park

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn't this report/post make it clear that this is the case. "[Billy is] a very important player and at the moment they are not open to listening to offers for him."
No. It is an estimation of WB's contribution to the team by the speculator. It is not a statement from Fab about what he thinks.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I'm not saying I'd drive him to Napoli myself - it's a bloody long way after all - but, if I had my pilot's licence and there was a whip round to cover aviation fuel, I'd fly him down to Italy, and enjoy a pizza before coming home.
Quicker feet and more interested in playing a defence splitting forward pass than any of our other midfielders and you want to take a flight to Italy with him to dump him and eat a f***ing pizza? I guess you’d have some Prosecco with it too? :nono: Oh and a pilots’s licence? In your dreams :lolol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Quicker feet and more interested in playing a defence splitting forward pass than any of our other midfielders and you want to take a flight to Italy with him to eat a f***ing pizza?

Quicker feet and more interested in playing a defence splitting forward pass than any of our other midfielders and you want to take a flight to Italy with him to eat a f***ing pizza? Oh and a pilots’s licence? In your dreams :lolol:
I don't, no!! Sort your quotes out.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Blimey indeed. We just bought a somewhat highly rated Eredivisie midfielder for £30m and a young winger with barely any experience for £35m.

Billy Gilmour is a 23-year-old central midfielder who started some 40 games for his mid-table Premier League (the best league in the world) club last season. Why on earth would we let him go for "far below £40m"?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Blimey indeed. We just bought a somewhat highly rated Eredivisie midfielder for £30m and a young winger with barely any experience for £35m.

Billy Gilmour is a 23-year-old central midfielder who started some 40 games for his mid-table Premier League (the best league in the world) club last season. Why on earth would we let him go for "far below £40m"?
Why would we even let him go?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quicker feet and more interested in playing a defence splitting forward pass than any of our other midfielders and you want to take a flight to Italy with him to dump him and eat a f***ing pizza? I guess you’d have some Prosecco with it too? :nono: Oh and a pilots’s licence? In your dreams :lolol:
In my nightmares.

The last person I'd trust to fly me safely in a plane is me.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No. It is an estimation of WB's contribution to the team by the speculator. It is not a statement from Fab about what he thinks.
Its an Italian journalist (a "speculator" ? ) reporting on interest from a club and also reporting where Albion are and their plans for WBG. If you believe the first bit then presumably you'd believe the second bit. Which is club (of which Fab is the coach) rate him and won't be selling him . But yes its not an actual quote.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Its an Italian journalist (a "speculator" ? ) reporting on interest from a club and also reporting where Albion are and their plans for WBG. If you believe the first bit then presumably you'd believe the second bit. Which is club (of which Fab is the coach) rate him and won't be selling him . But yes its not an actual quote.
Precisely.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here