Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Unless this is another….” we won’t stand in the way of anyone who wants to better themselves….”

In fairness, it’s not like Napoli is a shit move is it? It’s a decent club in a decent league. If there is any indication that he might not play so much here then I guess you could see why he would be open to it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Unless this is another….” we won’t stand in the way of anyone who wants to better themselves….”

That is a bit of a concern.............................

Except the club have never actually said that. If the move is right for the player and the club and another club match our asking price we will agree to a sale. If we don’t want to sell we won’t. (See Dunk to Fulham, Stephens to Burnley, Caicedo to Arsenal, White to Leeds and to a lesser extent Cucurella to Man City).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Except the club have never actually said that. If the move is right for the player and the club and another club match our asking price we will agree to a sale. If we don’t want to sell we won’t. (See Dunk to Fulham, Stephens to Burnley, Caicedo to Arsenal, White to Leeds and to a lesser extent Cucurella to Man City).
............Burn to Newcastle. Leonard to Birmingham?? Molumby to Millwall - sold for half the price a year later?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
............Burn to Newcastle. Leonard to Birmingham??
Where the club got an amount they deemed to be acceptable for each player or they wouldn’t have been sold.

You are the only person I’ve seen questioning the amount we got for Leonard. Not every player is going to be sold for eye watering amounts. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out for various reasons and the player is moved on for the sake of their own career.

And no one else was ever paying £15m for Dan Burn. He was great for us but we got more than anyone would have ever imagined a player like Burn would be sold for.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Where the club got an amount they deemed to be acceptable for each player or they wouldn’t have been sold.

You are the only person I’ve seen questioning the amount we got for Leonard. Not every player is going to be sold for eye watering amounts. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out for various reasons and the player is moved on for the sake of their own career.

And no one else was ever paying £15m for Dan Burn. He was great for us but we got more than anyone would have ever imagined a player like Burn would be sold for.
I seem to remember nobody did pay us £15M for Burn. More like £13M wasn't it?

Of course we don't get eye-watering amounts for everyone we sell on; but are we now starting to pay more for what we buy, and less for what we sell? The 'Brighton model' may not work for ever.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Of course we don't get eye-watering amounts for everyone we sell on; but are we now starting to pay more for what we buy, and less for what we sell? The 'Brighton model' may not work for ever.
It’s literally less than a year and only 2 transfer windows ago that we sold a player for the British record.

If you’re worried about our record of transfer dealings, thank god you don’t support another team!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

If we want to become a club not just competing for the top 10 but one pushing towards European qualification each season the players we sign primarily for the first team squad will be more expensive. If we achieve our aims those players will still be sold for a profit, in some cases huge profits.

We will still be signing players relatively cheaply for the development squads. Players like Steven Hall, Kamari Doyle and Caylan Vickers that we signed in the last year fit this criteria. The ultimate hope is they develop into first team players but a vast majority won’t and will be sold on some for a profit, some for a loss. That’s football.

The key will be getting the big sales right when they come along, and TB hasn’t got much wrong on that front.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
If we want to become a club not just competing for the top 10 but one pushing towards European qualification each season the players we sign primarily for the first team squad will be more expensive. If we achieve our aims those players will still be sold for a profit, in some cases huge profits.

We will still be signing players relatively cheaply for the development squads. Players like Steven Hall, Kamari Doyle and Caylan Vickers that we signed in the last year fit this criteria. The ultimate hope is they develop into first team players but a vast majority won’t and will be sold on some for a profit, some for a loss. That’s football.

The key will be getting the big sales right when they come along, and TB hasn’t got much wrong on that front.
Great post.

And I’ll add that with the sales of some players - especially the ones of the young players who haven’t developed into first team players as well as the experienced players who have served us well - as a decent club, we will take into account the needs of those players and sometimes sell for less than we could maybe get elsewhere in the market if it is the right move for the player.

This will only aid our reputation as a club and our prospects of signing other players in the future which is far more beneficial than holding out for the extra odd £500k/£1m here or there which is ultimately not a lot of money to us these days.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s literally less than a year and only 2 transfer windows ago that we sold a player for the British record.

If you’re worried about our record of transfer dealings, thank god you don’t support another team!
Oh dear, I'm so sorry I don't match up to your ideas of complete awe at everything our club does without ever questioning, or worrying, about anything. It must be wonderful to have that blissful blind assumption that everything is perfect.
And if you are thanking god that I don't support another team.................geez! You'd better have a word with god.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No, of course we won't ever get everything right - but we have lost a lot of those people that were getting everything right. Life is good with us finding bargains and selling them on at a huge profit....but ....errr..... cough.....Southampton.
Hope the same doesn't happen to us, but..........................

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Are we back at you believing the model isn't working because not every single player is sold with a big profit?

Because you and I had exactly this conversation when Molumby was sold two years ago and also before that when Max Sanders left. In both those cases you thought the club would get millions and when it didn't happen, you started to question the clubs model and if its working.

You fail to understand that no matter how good the model is, not every player will be sold with a massive profit. It isn't realistic.

Last edited:

knekkebrød

May 20, 2018
Norway
Sad if this is true

Not all players are going to fit into the plans Hürzeler has for the team. If there is no pathway for WBG here we absolutely need to sell, even if it does hurt. We can't let him rot on the fringes

We have a lot of talented players, but it's not possible that all of them will reach their potential with us.

If Hürzerler doesn't want or need him, we need to find a new club for him. Gilmour as a deep lying playmaker in italy? Could be a massive succes.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, of course we won't ever get everything right - but we have lost a lot of those people that were getting everything right. Life is good with us finding bargains and selling them on at a huge profit....but ....errr..... cough.....Southampton.
Hope the same doesn't happen to us, but..........................
I don’t think this is an unreasonable point, but IMO, it’s probably a little early to assume everything that has happened since won’t work out positively…..

It could of course go backwards as well, as fans we just need to trust the process I guess, and hope that if it goes pear shaped we’ll take the correct action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here