Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Names on the backs of shirts

Don Logan

Banned
Feb 21, 2012
Never been one for replica shirts personally, but got nothing against anyone who likes to sport one.

On the back of a shirt this is marginally acceptable;

. WE 8 PALACE

. The name of a season when Champions (I.E CHAMPIONS 2011)

. A homage to a departed Seagull (I.E RIP CLIVE)

However the following is not acceptable;

. the name of a player if you are aged 13 or above

. your own name, especially a nickname (I.E Johnny Boy) if over the age of 13

. your online username.....this is just beyond horrific. If you do this there is no way back for you.

Thanks for your time.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Why do you get to decide this, newbie?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Never been one for replica shirts personally, but got nothing against anyone who likes to sport one.

On the back of a shirt this is marginally acceptable;

. WE 8 PALACE

. The name of a season when Champions (I.E CHAMPIONS 2011)

. A homage to a departed Seagull (I.E RIP CLIVE)

However the following is not acceptable;

. the name of a player if you are aged 13 or above

. your own name, especially a nickname (I.E Johnny Boy) if over the age of 13

. your online username.....this is just beyond horrific. If you do this there is no way back for you.

Thanks for your time.

Where do I stand then?

Gritt 23, was originally dreamt up specifically for a shirt as a homage to the great escape season, because I wanted neither my own name, nor a current players name. However, that then developed into a nickname "Gritty", and subsequently my online usename.

Does that make me acceptable or unacceptable?

Don Logan

Banned
Feb 21, 2012
Where do I stand then?

Gritt 23, was originally dreamt up specifically for a shirt as a homage to the great escape season, because I wanted neither my own name, nor a current players name. However, that then developed into a nickname \"Gritty\", and subsequently my online usename.

Does that make me acceptable or unacceptable?

I think your acceptable mate. Fair play.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This guy is a fantastic wind up merchant. :lolol:

I am 24, and I have had player names on my shirts for quite a while. Unsuccessfully actually, Bennett 7 was on last years home shirt, Murray 17 on the away. Before that, Savage 17 (almost purely because I think it's a funny name), Virgo 23, Loft 18 (on a few) and way back in the day, Watson 2. Good times, and memories.

I still see the occaisonal Cullip 27 walking around, there was always something iconic about that for me, not sure why.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
He is a wind up merchant but on this one I'm with him. I struggle to wear a replica shirt. My other half looks at me with something between pity and contempt if it gets an airing. And also takes me back to the time when i wore it as a casual piece of clothing while staying away for a work. I called a f***ing bum boy and then had half a burger luzzed at me - was in Stockport I think.

To be fair it was the pink NOBO shirt.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I am all for comedy accounts, but this bloke really has it all wrong. He has not raised a single chuckle from me on any of his posts.

He/She is just too weird and offensive for the sake of it.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
He is a wind up merchant but on this one I'm with him. I struggle to wear a replica shirt. My other half looks at me with something between pity and contempt if it gets an airing. And also takes me back to the time when i wore it as a casual piece of clothing while staying away for a work. I called a f***ing bum boy and then had half a burger luzzed at me - was in Stockport I think.

To be fair it was the pink NOBO shirt.

Go retro. I've got the current club shop replica of the wardy bukta shirt and the pheonix brewery one (both gifts) and I get SLIGHTLY less grief from my wife for wearing them (only to football mind).

Does anyone think the first skint shirt qualifies as a retro shirt yet? I have it in very good nick with a cracked and faded 9 in homage to OGH.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Does anyone think the first skint shirt qualifies as a retro shirt yet? I have it in very good nick with a cracked and faded 9 in homage to OGH.

It's only 'retro' if it is a remake of an old style (like the Bukta copy in the shop). I'd be inclined to call the 1999/2000 shirt a vintage shirt, just about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here