dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Seaford Legion. Harveys for £2 a pint.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
Do you ever brave the Brewery Tap outside match days? I've never known a pub get such mixed reviews, some good friends of mine who have since moved away swore by it, others have told me untold horror stories.

Good point. Has to be said that the Brewery Tap does actually fully deserve those violently mixed reviews.

I can see why many impartial pub-goers would not make it their pub of choice; can't buy any food more substantial than a packet of pork-effect scratchings, the outdoor beer compound features, enclosed by (yet another) flint wall a rust-encrusted barbecue, waterlogged upside-down plastic tables with wobbly legs and it smells of wee. Inside is, to some tastes, not much better. The CD player on the wall either plays ancient and thoroughly discredited ROCK at decibel level that would prohibit it landing at JFK, or it plays modern music by popular beat combos of the past six months at levels that presumably only the pub's labrador could fully appreciate.

On the plus side, nobody on the staff hassles you in any shape or form, and the laissez-faire attitude is just whats need post-match. you can phone up 552828 and have a Harleys pizza delivered to eat in the pub, they do a nice pint of Harveys and a MEAN organic cider yellow bottle and a purple-tin-equivalent green organic cider. There's a pool table and a bar billiards table and with a tiny wee bit of coaxing Krispies (or 'ipis' I think his peeling Albion shirt name says nowadays) will do a full-blooded version of The Goldstone Rap. Which is a bit special. On a bad day, Dover will tell you his Chas and Dave story several times. Grand place for Albion gossip, some of it quite gob-smacking that you won't hear on here, least not from me (not even hinting at it - turn up after the game on Sunday and I'll SPILL THE BEANZ).

But to answer your question; it's really only me local on match days. When me kids come to visit, I take them down the Crown and Anchor where the pub takes obvious pride in the food (my boy's a chef and he's well happy with it) unlike the Park View where I find the food over-priced and inconsequential. The makeover seems temporary somehow, like it's just been done for The Festival. Same with The Open House. Just seems like there's no sense of a local community in there, it's just passing trade. If you live between the Park View and the Open house, you should try the Cleveland. Old man's pub, but there's tables outside and you could watch your little 'un playing in Blakers Park from the comfort and safety of just across the road.

Blimey, i've banged on a bit here.

That is all. :drink:

(legal note: smiley may not depict actual bottle of yellow organic cider)

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Tom Hark said:
Good point. Has to be said that the Brewery Tap does actually fully deserve those violently mixed reviews.

I can see why many impartial pub-goers people would not make it their pub of choice; can't buy any food more substantial than a packet of pork-effect scratchings, the outdoor beer compound features, enclosed by (yet another) flint wall a rust-encrusted barbecue, waterlogged upside-down plastic tables with wobbly legs and it smells of wee. Inside is, to some tastes, not much better. The CD player on the wall either plays ancient and thoroughly discredited ROCK at decibel level that would prohibit it landing at JFK, or it plays modern music by popular beat combos of the past six months at levels that presumably only the pub's labrador could fully appreciate.

On the plus side, nobody on the staff hassles you in any shape or form, and the laissez-faire attitude is just whats need post-match. you can phone up 552828 and have a Harleys pizza delivered to eat in the pub, they do a nice pint of Harveys and a MEAN organic cider yellow bottle and a purple-tin-equivalent green organic cider. There's a pool table and a bar billiards table and with a tiny wee bit of coaxing Krispies (or 'ipis' I think his peeling Albion shirt name says nowadays) will do a full-blooded version of The Goldstone Rap. Which is a bit special. On a bad day, Dover will tell you his Chas and Dave story several times. Grand place for Albion gossip, some of it quite gob-smacking that you won't hear on here (not even hinting at it - turn up after the game on Sunday and I'll SPILL THE BEANZ).

But to answer your question; it's really only me local on match days. When me kids come to visit, I take them down the Crown and Anchor where the pub takes obvious pride in the food (my boy's a chef and he's well happy with it) unlike the Park View where I find the food over-priced and inconsequential. The makeover seems temporary somehow, like it's just been done for The Festival. Same with The Open House. Just seems like there's no sense of a local community in there, it's just passing trade. If you live between the Park View and the Open house, you should try the Cleveland. Old man's pub, but there's tables outside and you could watch your little 'un playing in Blakers Park from the comfort and safety of just across the road.

Blimey, i've banged on a bit here.

That is all. :drink:

(legal note: smiley may not depict actual bottle of yellow organic cider)

:yawn: Sorry, must have nodded off. :jester:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tom Hark said:
I take them down the Crown and Anchor where the pub takes obvious pride in the food (my boy's a chef and he's well happy with it) unlike the Park View where I find the food over-priced and inconsequential. The makeover seems temporary somehow, like it's just been done for The Festival. Same with The Open House. Just seems like there's no sense of a local community in there, it's just passing trade.

But wouldn't that describe a lot of pubs in Brighton? I do get the feeling that a lot of drinking holes are designed for people down from London for the day and those people who are just passing through Brighton before they buy their semi in Surrey. There are fewer and fewer proper pubs around.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gwylan said:
But wouldn't that describe a lot of pubs in Brighton? I do get the feeling that a lot of drinking holes are designed for people down from London for the day and those people who are just passing through Brighton before they buy their semi in Surrey.

Quite agree. But the Park View and the Open House are a bit different in that they're plonked right in the middle of the local community, not exactly off the beaten track, but not on the day-tripper route either. Both just seem strangely impersonal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here