Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Name & shame: companies that give CRAP customer service

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've had NTL for nearly a year now: it took ages for them to come and install broadband (10 weeks from initial contact, if I recall) but since then, I've had no problem with them. I've phoned them twice once with a technical fault and once with a billing problem, they answered the phone promptly and sorted everything quickly.

I was a bit wary of NTL given their reputation but as I needed broadband for my work and as they're the only company offering broadband to where I live, I had little choice.

On the other hand, BT is shocking. I've waited nearly an hour to speak to somewhere there. It took them three months to discover that ADSL was not available at my house and then tried to charge me when I cancelled the contract.

Other companies to steer clear of:

Dell - terrible service;
Quark - I've waited 90 minutes phoning tech support;
Inland Revenue - don't know what they're doing ..oh wait, that's one you can't avoid.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Another vote for O2. If you contact them via email with a query they literaly cut and paste chunks of text form their website rather than actually answering the question. Shocking. If you call them they are just rude and un helpful, if you actually get through to someone.

Also SKy, you can spend hours being transfered rom person to person to find the one chap who can perform the action you want.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think it's dead easy to come up with examples of poor customer service - does anyone actually know any large companies who are actually GOOD?

In my experience Lloyds TSB have always been excellent.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Norwich Union. Quote me happy??? Quote me fecking:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Quite happy to have your business but when you actually need them eg. try and claim against another insurer - they are bleeding useless!!!! All I got was some uncaring call centre in Dehli - and it wasn't even my fault my car was parked!!!

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Not that anyone on here would go to it but Honda garage on the A4 at Littlewick Green advised me thet I could not change the bulb in my headlight myself and they quoted £35 labour + £5 for the bulb to do. I promptly opened the bonnet and removed the bulb and asked why that would cost £35. The guy just said I could buy the bulb but would probably break it putting it in - the bulb still works 2 years later.
Littlewick Green Honda Garage = :tosser:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
edna krabappel said:
II strongly suggest you steer clear of Dinnages, Franklynn Road, Haywards Heath.

Any other companies to name & shame?

Pedant alert. Dinnages is in Wivelsfield road. Frosts (Vauxhall) is in Franklynn Road.

I bought a car from Dinnages. I had it serviced. They charged me for things they hadn't done! They charged for a new air filter. A subsequent service by an independent mechanic proved they hadn't changed it, as Dinnages didn't supply the air fillter on my car.:angry:

Iceland (Haywards Heath branch) At the checkout. On more than one occasion, the only one speaking and saying thank you was ME (the customer). I put it to the test on one visit by not speaking - not one word was exchanged for the entire checkout process - great service - NOT!

SKY. Recently upgraded to Sky Plus. They charged me TWICE on my credit card. Every time I try to get a refund, the Computer is down or I am in a 20 minute queue or the recording tells me to ring back as they are busy! They were quick enough in taking the money (no queue then)! :censored: :angry:

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Crystal Palace FC Box office. You wait for hours on the phone.

Oxted ford car dealer. Had my car 2 weeks and not a word was spoken in that time. I eventually rang them to find my car was still not ready.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Barnet Seagull said:
I think it's dead easy to come up with examples of poor customer service - does anyone actually know any large companies who are actually GOOD?

This is a moaner's thread mate, start your own thread! :jester:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Croydonbloke said:
Crystal Palace FC Box office. You wait for hours on the phone.

Isn't it also at a premium rate? I know at least one Palace fan who despairs of trying to get tickets over the phone. Obviously my heart bleeds...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had a bad experience with baldocks of Wivelsfield. we bought a Megane off them - 13 months old and had no end of problem with it from a faulty speaker to the engine being crap, the proximity key not working etc etc. After 4 times of returning it, them saying they had fixed it, I eventually wrote a letter to the boss man, and he looked at the car, gave me a brand new ( 2km's on the clock) Scenic to drive round in and eventually after a month of free use of the car, agreed that my car was shit and I paid an extra £2k and gor a brand new Megane with oodles of extras.

So they were good and bad....although they must have washed their hands of me cos I havent heard from them since.

My Megane has now 30k on the clock and things are starting to go wrong again:down: :down: :down: :down:

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Barnet Seagull said:

I think Direct Line have good customer service for a large company. Even their Claims department are helpful, considering they'll be giving out money rather than taking it!

No doubt someone will contradict this but mine and my wife's experience with several motor claims (!) has been good so far.

Last edited:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Re: Re: Name & shame: companies that give CRAP customer service

Buzza said:

Iceland (Haywards Heath branch) At the checkout. On more than one occasion, the only one speaking and saying thank you was ME (the customer). I put it to the test on one visit by not speaking - not one word was exchanged for the entire checkout process - great service - NOT!

I would suggest the Burgess Hill branch. Much better ;)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The way to get through on a multi-option call line is to select the one that gets you to the sales team. When there ask for the department you need. They are usually far too polite to refuse (after all, in sales you have to be), and often put you through to a direct number that they know. It works for me most times if I get redirected to a machine.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Re: Name & shame: companies that give CRAP customer service

Berty_G said:
I would suggest the Burgess Hill branch. Much better ;)

Fair enough. I'll stick with Sainsburys though. Usually get a polite smile and chat. (mind you I tend to go for the older staff so that I don't have to wait too long for the booze to be checked through).

D

Deleted member 2719

O2 , NTL and BT all communication companies that can't communicate aleast BT gave an apology and £100 quid credit off our bill.

O2 and NTL total :tosser:

Inland Revenue are also tossers that treat you like shit and fine you for any reasons.

Land of Leather is another one came close to :rave: no i don't mean dancing with them.

;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here