Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Name & shame: companies that give CRAP customer service

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Tom Hark said:
SMS - Special Mail Services

Complete shysters. You can wait in all day to have your passport or gig tickets delivered. The only thing you'll normally get delivered is a wee card saying 'we called but you were out'. Lying bastards. That's what comes of paying the delivery guys their whack irrespective if they deliver the package to the punter or not.

Pay whatever it takes on top to keep your stuff out of these people's hands.

I am with you on them. I waited in all day for my Glastonbury tickets last year and they showed up two days later.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
MYOB said:
Oh, I have rather a lot of them...

GLS Parcelforce - gave my parcel to a neighbour, never told me till I phoned them

Interlink Express - driver stole a package. Had to get the credit card firm after them. Still have to use them due to fucktarded companies using them, though. Their customer care line has a faulty phone circuit and occasionally they can't hear you at all....

Jungle.com - didn't contact me when a product was out of stock permanently, just left it in my "Awaiting shipping" AND CHARGED ME FOR IT

Hewlett Packard - Refused to return a hard disk that had been removed in error. Eventually admitted they'd destroyed it. Settled out of court for Rather A Lot Of Cash but never fixed my f***ing laptop

eircom - 5 weeks to get a Bit/Error Ratio issue on my line fixed. Involved someone rebooting a switch in their exchange and ten minutes to watch it come back up.

Chorus Cable - GAAHHHHHH!!!!! Imagine NTL, thirty times worse

Sky - No, I just want to cancel. I don't want to speak to your manager but it appears you're going to make me anyway. And all the time I'm paying 15c/minute to make this call....

Apple - I live in Ireland. My product warranty is one year BY LAW. And you want me to pay €39 to speak to someone in France to book it in for a return? Erm... no. That said, they eventually let me book it in without paying them €39 to talk to a French guy with bad English when I threatened to set the Department of Consumer Affairs (like an Ombudsman on stereoids) on them for violation of warranty conditions....

Ever thought it may be YOU :p

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Gotta say there are few companies quite as inept as ntl. Their customer service skills are frankly laughable and the amount of time you spend being passed from dept to dept while never getting any closer to an answer to your initial query can often leave you jealous of the men who served in the hundred years war.

Utterly shocking levels of service that they somehow seem to get away with through being the only alternative to Murdoch's Sky TV.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Bluejuice said:
Gotta say there are few companies quite as inept as ntl. Their customer service skills are frankly laughable and the amount of time you spend being passed from dept to dept while never getting any closer to an answer to your initial query can often leave you jealous of the men who served in the hundred years war.

Utterly shocking levels of service that they somehow seem to get away with through being the only alternative to Murdoch's Sky TV.

I used to have the pleasure of working for them both in a call centre and then as a repair tech - you would not believe what used to go on, managers used to turn a blind eye to it aswell.
Shocking way to run a company.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Wanderer said:
Ever thought it may be YOU :p

No, I deal with probably about 150+ companies in the average year in a way that involves experiencing their customer care, either personally or through work (mostly through work, thankfully), and those are the ones with just pure shit customer service.

Medion and Dell come in as "poor" but acceptable, a different part of Apple (components about to burst in to flames, sorry, product recalls), Siemens, my mobile provider (Meteor, doubt you've heard of them), JVC all come in as "good" and the rest are just normal and hence completely unremarkable.

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Goring Gull said:
I used to have the pleasure of working for them both in a call centre and then as a repair tech - you would not believe what used to go on, managers used to turn a blind eye to it aswell.
Shocking way to run a company.

You're not wrong. For my sins, I work in customer services at the moment and when we were first trained ntl were held up as an example of exactly what not to do, to the point where we had training days making conference calls to ntl so everybody in the group could hear how deeply shocking their ability to handle calls had got.

I'ts come to something when other firms use your customer services as an example of how not to run a business. Truly worrying

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
B&Q. Their product knowledge, or lack of it astounds me. What I also find unbelievable is that they are nationwide, and have forced the little knowledgeable shops out of business.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
lastminute.com

Never trust a company that has NO PHONE NUMBER advertised on it's website. Anything goes wrong, then good luck with getting any redress.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Dover said:
B&Q. Their product knowledge, or lack of it astounds me. What I also find unbelievable is that they are nationwide, and have forced the little knowledgeable shops out of business.

Went to see Jack Dee on tour last summer. He was ranting (well, sneering) about B&Q. He said once you let the 1066 look-a-like in an orange apron disappear through the plastic flappy things at the back of the store "to check the computer" you might as well give up and f*** off home ...

:lolol:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Bluejuice said:
You're not wrong. For my sins, I work in customer services at the moment and when we were first trained ntl were held up as an example of exactly what not to do, to the point where we had training days making conference calls to ntl so everybody in the group could hear how deeply shocking their ability to handle calls had got.

I'ts come to something when other firms use your customer services as an example of how not to run a business. Truly worrying

My favourite used to be when in the call centre to leave my phone on mute let the call drop in not speak the after about 2 mins customer would hang up, kept the stats looking good and there were so many of us working there the chance of getting caught was so slim it was worth the risk - even if anyone got caught it was a slap on the wrist.

As for what went in the field.

Back handers for cash with company equipment, calls on customers lines from cabs in teh street, free cable off others services etc etc.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Dover said:

Oh, I forgot about B&Q. Try to sell you the wrong product and over-charge you for it.

Maplin just over-charge you but at least the staff kinda know what they're talking about.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
lander14 said:
Norwich FC

Sent two emails to them regarding stewards and heard nothing back:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

:dunce: schoolboy error Lander; no internet in Norfolk yet.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
TISCALI,without a doubt the worst company in history.

Oh,and all those other companies with out of the country call centres (wo)manned by people who do not speak English and do it @£1 per minute.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
3. Signed up with them less than a month ago, the phone turned up straight away, but took ages to transfer the number. Then the screen on the phone stopped working, and had to talk to nitwit in a call centre, for whom English was clearly not their first, second, third or fourth language.

Currently without a phone and knackered without it.

Also add in Parcelforce. They delivered 100 exams for a professional exam board to my house when no one was in, and stuck them in my recycling wheelie bin. I was having a slanging match with the exam board for about a week, and only found out the truth when I emptied my lawnmower into the bin. If the council had emptied the bin there would have been carnage from the employers of the people sitting the exams.

MBNA, at least 4 letters a week offering loans and credit cards, but if you do end up with one, just hope there is never any queries over balances or purchases, as they know diddley-squat in their call centre.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Chopper West said:
3. Signed up with them less than a month ago, the phone turned up straight away, but took ages to transfer the number. Then the screen on the phone stopped working, and had to talk to nitwit in a call centre, for whom English was clearly not their first, second, third or fourth language.

Currently without a phone and knackered without it.

Also add in Parcelforce. They delivered 100 exams for a professional exam board to my house when no one was in, and stuck them in my recycling wheelie bin. I was having a slanging match with the exam board for about a week, and only found out the truth when I emptied my lawnmower into the bin. If the council had emptied the bin there would have been carnage from the employers of the people sitting the exams.

MBNA, at least 4 letters a week offering loans and credit cards, but if you do end up with one, just hope there is never any queries over balances or purchases, as they know diddley-squat in their call centre.

Just about sums up this country now. f*** all manufacturing and just a "services industry" economy, which we are either (i) shit at, or (ii) farm off overseas where people are equally shit at it, but cost less for being shit.

Someboddy somewhere is making money. the rest of us are just get dumped on and pissed off.

*If you disagree with this post, please call 0800 111111. Press 1 for "I disagree with this post"; press 2 for "I am moving house and have dailed the wrong number"; press 3 for a balance enquiry; press 4 to be put on hold until you give up the will to live; press 5 if you wish to speak to a customer services adviser who's knowledge of English doesn't extend beyond "can I take your customer reference number please?"

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Having worked in customer service and fully aware of companies poor efforts also though aren't the majority of the british public thick as shit.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
Goring Gull said:
Having worked in customer service and fully aware of companies poor efforts also though aren't the majority of the british public thick as shit.

Agreed, just look at how Chantelle and Jade Goody are now 'celebrities' as evidence of how shit we have become.:down:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I really do believe some members go out of their way to make your life difficult, you'd like to think they have to try to be this annoying/stupid but they are not.

You get them phone up say a bank, advisors awnsers can i have your account number.

To which they should reply - Yes and reel it off but oh no what do you get

1- I thought you'd ask for that!

2- i don't know it!

3- Is that my name and address?

4- I want to order a taxi.

You might aswell speak to them in martian.

My blood is starting to boil just thinking about it. Thank god i don't work there anymore.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here