Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Name and shame - Sussex MPs not supporting Falmer

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
good idea Zef! come to think of it the only tarmac/concrete one in sussex is Arlington, am I right? if so thats shocking!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
CrabtreeBHA said:
Here are my polices:

Getting Falmer
Sorting out the Rope Tackle area once and for all
Fencing off Shoreham Beach ;)
More pubs & more Beer Festivals
Snowdome at the Cement Works

All pretty good, but now I've moved to Worthing I want the snowdome at Teville Gate instead

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
the Only proper circuit in Sussex that I know of is Goodwood . . . .and its usages is severely restricted by whingeing locals . . . .I doubt any of them have lived there longer than the circuits been there (50+ years)

I reckon Shm airport and a road section up to and around your snow dome would be class . . . .a section alongside the river as well . . . . .with no armco :eek:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
f*** how could I forget Goodwood, I used to deliver food to the restuarant there for f*** sake :dunce:

How about as banking curve going over the river? wow I could sit there in the sun, so a spot of fishing and watch some racing at the same time...maybe get BHA down the road at Pende and my life would be complete :D

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
HH, I wish you all the best with lard ball. Here is his reply to me -

Dear Duncan,

Thank you very much for your recent email concerning the planning application for a community stadium in Falmer.

I am sorry to have to tell you but I am afraid that I cannot support this application, or sign EDM No. 889, as I am strongly opposed to any building development in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Ex Shelton, have you emailed Hendry yet?

I don't know if it would be worth writing to Sir Andrew Bowden, the former MP for Brighton Kemptown, who was defeated by Des Turner at the 1997 election. I don't remember him speaking about the Albion, but he might be able to speak to his former colleagues.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I'll send him a mail but i'm not holding out much hope. Seems like the Tory party in Sussex has a big agenda with this National Park thing so any response will probably be the same as Soames's.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Does anyone know how many Albion fans actually live in Brighton - compared to the number who live in Sussex (but outsie B&H)? It strikes me there is an assumption by the Tories that Falmer is a BRIGHTON issue, and doesn't affect them.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Ten letters just written to all the Tory MPs in Sussex who haven't signed the EDM:

As a Brighton & Hove Albion season ticket holder, and former Sussex resident (with family still living in the County), I hope you will forgive me writing to you in connection with the above, notwithstanding my current address in Somerset.

I should like to draw your attention to the above EDM (the text of which I have set out below). As of today I note that you have not signed the EDM. As a Sussex MP I am certain that you will be aware of the importance of Brighton & Hove Albion football club to the whole county. It is absolutely essential for the future of the club that planning consent for the proposed new stadium at Falmer is granted. Supporters are delighted that Julie Kirkbride has been extremely supportive of the proposed move, and it would be fantastic if you and your Sussex-based parliamentary colleagues could follow her lead. I have attached the text of an article which appeared in last weekend’s “Observer” newspaper, which provides an excellent summary of the situation.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this letter.

Yours sincerely.....

Will it do any good? (Rhetorical question...)

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
West Hoathly Seagull said:
I don't know if it would be worth writing to Sir Andrew Bowden, the former MP for Brighton Kemptown, who was defeated by Des Turner at the 1997 election. I don't remember him speaking about the Albion, but he might be able to speak to his former colleagues.

Is he still alive, and if so, does he still live in Sussex Square? I remember him being a top bloke for a Tory... he got my dad British citizenship and managed to persuade the then home secretary to ignore the fact that my dad had run away from the South African army in the seventies...

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Have just had a response to my email to Julie Kirkbride (asking her to nag her colleagues in Sussex to sign the EDM). Short but sweet:

Thank you for your email - I will do what I can.

Kind regards,

Julie Kirkbride

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Here's what Nigel Waterson (Eastbourne, Con) has to say for himself:

"Thank you for your recent letter. I know there are a lot of Seagulls supporters in my constituency and I think there is rightly a great deal of support for the proposed new stadium at Falmer. I am afraid that I have rather taken the view that as the Planning Application concerns a site which is not in my constituency, it would be inappropriate for me to have a formal public position on it. However, I can certainly understand the reasons for it attracting so much support. I have to say, I was very puzzled recently and disappointed to hear that my Parliamentary neighbour, Norman Baker MP, had turned up at the Public Inquiry to argue against the proposal."

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
I know I'm the only person posting on this thread now, but here's a possibly final thought: When I wrote to all the Sussex tories asking them to support Falmer, I obviously included Howard Flight. He responded fairly promptly, and promised to forward my letter to the ODPM. Today I got another letter from him, together with a personalised letter from someone at the ODPM. So, as a result of my ONE letter, I have generated FIVE letters on the subject of Falmer. Hopefully this has happened on a regular basis.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
balloonboy said:
I know I'm the only person posting on this thread now, but here's a possibly final thought: When I wrote to all the Sussex tories asking them to support Falmer, I obviously included Howard Flight. He responded fairly promptly, and promised to forward my letter to the ODPM. Today I got another letter from him, together with a personalised letter from someone at the ODPM. So, as a result of my ONE letter, I have generated FIVE letters on the subject of Falmer. Hopefully this has happened on a regular basis.

I wish I had the postage stamp and balloon franchises for your neck of the woods:lolol:

Good work J.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here