Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

N.S.C weight watchers

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm 49, 18.5 stone and 5'11 but I'm big boned (no, actually, I'm just fat).
Started trying to lose a bit a couple of weeks ago and so far have given up alcohol at home (don't go out a lot, maybe once a week). also trying to reduce food intake and do a bit of exercise but I need to start slowly and build up.
Worst thing for me is snacking whilst working and that's gonna be a really hard habit to break.

I am your age and size and weigh 13.2 stone and feel fat

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Given up alcohol over the last 14 months and I've lost about three stone. I don't think anything else can shift weight like the booze. I guzzle those new flavoured Red Bull - lime, blueberry and cranberry. I'll need a new set of teeth soon.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I could go a different way, it's just getting the mindset right. I get up at 6 in the morning, that's early enough for me, I'm a really light sleeper and only get an average of 5 hours a night. And working til 7pm takes its toll, I won't get home til 7.45, by the time I've showered, eaten, washed up and made lunch for the next day it's time for bed again!!!!!

I feel like I'm turning into a machine most days with no soul left. I'm considering riding every other day and on the other day drive to work but go swimming instead after which is something I used to be pretty good at. It's fndng something that's enjoyable that doesn't feel like a chore I think is key.

I've managed to convince her to start weight watchers with me hopefully starting next week. The trouble is that I can't cook so rely on her to make dinner. If she doesn't want to do something, chances are I won't be able to either, it's why slimming world failed last year, you have to cook everything from scratch, at least with weight watchers it's normal food.

Wow, its all stacked up against you isn't it? If there were any personal trainers or nutritionists among they'd have piped up, so you'll have draw from combined 'what worked for me stories' instead. Everything has to start somewhere. For me it was the Mrs suggesting we got some sunflower/pumpkin seeds in for me to snack on instead of the usual rubbish. They can taste a bit off to some, but I got used to them. From that, I started mixing a pot for brekkies comprising sunflower, pumpkin, goji berries, cranberries and chia seeds. I even have a Holland and Barratt loyalty card. Someone made a good comment about swerving the creamy soups. Could you not make you own and heat them up at work? Would probably be very cheap. I think I roughly follow the caveman diet, in the sense of I try to eat as naturally as possible.

If you like a pint, guiness might be a better bet. If you eat bread, spread the butter thinly and as someone said dodge white bread.

Be prepared to dig deep. It is really tough some times. I became a different person after shedding some timber. I became so much more alert for not consuming so much junk. The lighter you get, you more can exercise and the more you will enjoy it.

For as long as you want encouragement you'll get it. You can do it!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'm 49, 18.5 stone and 5'11 but I'm big boned (no, actually, I'm just fat).
Started trying to lose a bit a couple of weeks ago and so far have given up alcohol at home (don't go out a lot, maybe once a week). also trying to reduce food intake and do a bit of exercise but I need to start slowly and build up.
Worst thing for me is snacking whilst working and that's gonna be a really hard habit to break.

The my fitness pal app that others have mentioned is really useful as you can record all the snacking you do. It's definitely about setting a realistic goal (e.g. losing weight over a sustained period of time) and then developing a mindset that supports that.

Plus exercise.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've gone from 16.5 stone to 14 stone 12 since last August. Four tactics. 1) Big cut back on beer but replaced with gin and a slimline tonic. Still a nice alcohol hit but nowhere near the calories of Stella. 2) Stopped the crisps, sausage rolls etc at lunchtime. Eat more fruit, low cal flatbread sandwiches, ryvita and sushi. 3) Cut portion size on evening meals and use low cal recipes ( in our case the Hairly Dieters cookbook) 4) Exercise - I used Couch to 5k and now run 5k two or three times a week.

I still have a pie and a pint at the Amex and don't get too hung up about a curry or piece of cake. I do though try and compensate by eating less of something else or doing that little bit more exercise.

Hope that helps

Bullshit Man

Feb 27, 2013
A pink lady apple is 50 calories and with a glass of water will fill you up.

bullshitman.png

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well done chaps.
[MENTION=7801]00snook[/MENTION], good stuff. Keep going.

Not used one myself but a few fit types I know recommend kettle bells for extra muscle tone and definition etc. Better not to go too mad, so start off with a lighter one was the consensus.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Well done chaps.
[MENTION=7801]00snook[/MENTION], good stuff. Keep going.

Not used one myself but a few fit types I know recommend kettle bells for extra muscle tone and definition etc. Better not to go too mad, so start off with a lighter one was the consensus.

Thanks mate.

Kettle bell training is great I have incorporated it into workouts in the past.

Super for fat burning.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
just done 3.8 fast'ish walk...am 11 pound down now in 5 weeks

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Weighed in again on Friday and have lost another 3.5lb if I lose the same next week will be under 19st for the first time since my cancer in 1995

That's brilliant fella, I've been a bit quite as I've not really lost anything in last 2 weeks, stayed at 16st 10. The friends and family get togethers over curry and Chinese meals haven't helped me but they were bloody tasty :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have updated my weight loss blog with some progress pics and stats.

Might be worth a read if you are lacking inspiration (although I am not sure quite how inspirational my blog actually is) ???

Anyway if you are interested take a look

http://fitt4mybaby.blogspot.co.uk/

You've done great. Keep it going.
Your blog and pics will hopefully motivate you further still, showing how far you've come already.

And congrats on the new addition to your family!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went to weigh in on Friday again and have lost 1.5lb for which I was a little disappointed as hoped to break the 19st barrier but am still 8oz over still I wil be under by the next weigh i in a fortnight I would think and hope.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm going to use this thread as inspiration for me.

I'm 34 and have always been overweight, I'm 5'10 and currently weigh in at 17st3, my only Saving grace is that I'm on the big built side with a wide shoulders and a large chest so I appear to carry it quite well.

I've been steadily putting on weight since I moved flat last summer, I think part of the problem is that I went off lager and started drinking cider which is more "calorific"

A month ago I decided to do something about it and began cycling to work, it's about 5 miles round trip and hilly both ways and takes about half an hour in total. I've managed to cut out the drink Sunday to Thursday but I can't bring myself to cut it out completely so still drink on a Friday and Saturday.

Im a CNC setter/operator as a job so I spend all day on my feet and am always moving around the workshop getting materials out and heavy lifting so its not as if I'm sitting at a desk all day.

My weekday diet is......

2 weetabix with semi skim milk as breakfast
A tin of soup mid morning.
A sandwich (2 slices of white bread) which is normally a ham or cheese salad
Banana and 2 apples.
Whatever she cooks for dinner, but I've made her start making them smaller.

On the weekends without football I usually drink 9 pints or so but if I'm going to the football it will be more. I don't eat as much on weekends and never eat crisps or chocolate, I never have, I must've been the only kid in the world who didn't like them!!!!

I do a lot of overtime at work and am currently working 7am to 7pm, which tires me out as it is so any extra exercise such as gym etc is difficult as I never get any free time.

When the weather warms up I shall stop the soup and eat more fruit during the day.

I've been doing this for a month now and I still weigh 17st.

I could do with some suggestions on what to change or anything I can do to help bearing in mind my working routine???

Your diet is quite healthy and it seems appropriate for what calories you expend.

But your starting point is the problem, if you were a fit 13 stone, you would be sailing along nicely retaining your fighting weight.

But your not, your starting point is nearly 18 stone, so you have to decrease your intake or increase your workload, or preferably both.

Unfortunately you will never shift weight downing 9 pints at the weekend, never.

So it might hurt but some changes needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here