Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My take on last night

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Took my father in law last night (born in cardiff but has lived in Brighton for over 40 years). He really enjoyed the game and was very positive about the Brighton performance.

My own view was that Assulin looked better on the right rather than the left. Also I think the night got to the players as there were a lot of overhit passes last night that seemed to indicate a bit of tension in their approach.

It is that factor and also when to inject pace into the play that will move us to the next level. As Lush says, we are learning a lot very quickly this year.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I didn't think the first half was as bad as some people are making out. Yes some of our passing did go astray and we were again a little too measured in our build-up play but Cardiff everyone behind the ball for long periods. As it was we passed the ball around a hell of a lot and made Cardiff do a lot of running. I thought that showed in the second half when we exploited that with the substitutions. People have been criticising Razak; he wasn't as good as his first game but he looked like he had more of a role shackling Whittingham and he did a very good job of it - perhaps someone should have carried this on when Razak went off as he clearly wasn't marked when he scored! Assulin is still finding his feet, we play differently to most teams.

We don't score a lot in the first half but score a lot towards the end of the match. It's not a coincidence, it's because teams tire defending against our style of play.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
That was one of the first games I actually didn't enjoy at all.

Yes I know where we have come from, withdean, Russel Slade, Dirk Lehman..blah blah blah.....and we are just outside the playoffs..overachieving....etc etc

I think its the "european football" mentality that is doing it for me. I am not a fan of pass it around at the back and sod the players up front who thrive on through balls, ie CMS. I watched countless times last night in the first half where CMS, Barnes and Assulin made runs across the defenders and the defence chose to play it between themselves....and then Greer to hoof it to their defenders.

Yes I appreciate that we hit the post and their keeper made terrific saves, but mostly when we had completely changed the style to two out and out wingers and a big center forward. In this case I feel so sorry for CMS as it has been obvious that he is desparate to have a holding center forward to give him the ball to make his runs, and as soon as we get one, he doesn't get to play at the same time, Gus preferring to haul him off and bring Vokes on.

I just thought we got it wrong in the first half as after 5 minutes you could see that Mackay had set his stall out by plumping 11 men behind the ball, packing the midfield and sitting tight....the very time when we should have had an outlet on the wing which Assulin certainly is not.

It will be interesting if that formation from Gus was a "suck it and see" formation, because I think against Pompey who will be up for it ( possibly their last ever game) will not come to sit behind the ball.

I also thought it was interesting how Razzak coped with almost man to man marking....well he didn't, which is something he may need to learn quickly to progress in the Premiership and Europe. He struggled to make space as basically there was none.

The second half was chalk and cheese and once Cardiff scored, we needed to change it, which begs the question, if cardiff hadn't scored, how long would Gus have kept it as it was....maybe a point was what we were after?

At least the great games we have had this season outweighs the ones like last night, but that is the first time ( even in games we have lost) at home that I came away nonplussed.

Agree with all of that GW, IMO Cardiff were there for the taking last night. I felt the writing was on the wall when the team selection was announced. Where I sit (WSU G Block) we were all concerned about the lack of width and pace and the first half panned out much as we were expecting. Cardiff had come to defend and were quite happy watching us pass the ball about in our own half, Lua lua would have torn their defence a new arsehole if he'd been playing. We all hoped Gus would change things at half time and not wait until we were a goal down. And dissappointed that we ended up having to stage another 'Valiant come back' to rescue a point at home against a team we could have beaten. Meaningless possession does not win games, we have got to be more attack minded from the begining if we have serious ambitions of getting promoted, we have the players, let's use them!
Ashley Barnes was my MOTM last night and it looks as though he's forming a good partnership with Vokes.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I felt The Albion were crying out for that creative central midfielder before the changes woz rung. You know, a player who had the ability & vision to do something left-field. Oh to have somebody at the club with such a bag of tricks!

Hang on a minute...

Albion Rob

I guess in some senses there's a compliment to be had in Cardiff, challenging for the playoffs and having just pushed Liverpool a lot closer than we managed to, coming to the Amex for a draw but I agree with others that last night was definitely two points dropped (could easily have been a nil return, I guess).

That said, if either of the two chances in the first half had gone in then it would have been interesting to see how Cardiff reacted. Mind you, as Liam Brady once said, if may grandma had balls she'd be my granddad.

My main concern from last night was that we let in two rubbish goals and despite our style of play and all that we should have won that game 1-0 or 2-0.

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003

Yes I know where we have come from, withdean, Russel Slade, Dirk Lehman..blah blah blah.....and we are just outside the playoffs..overachieving....etc etc

I think its the "european football" mentality that is doing it for me. I am not a fan of pass it around at the back and sod the players up front who thrive on through balls, ie CMS. I watched countless times last night in the first half where CMS, Barnes and Assulin made runs across the defenders and the defence chose to play it between themselves....and then Greer to hoof it to their defenders.

Yes I appreciate that we hit the post and their keeper made terrific saves, but mostly when we had completely changed the style to two out and out wingers and a big center forward. In this case I feel so sorry for CMS as it has been obvious that he is desparate to have a holding center forward to give him the ball to make his runs, and as soon as we get one, he doesn't get to play at the same time, Gus preferring to haul him off and bring Vokes on.

I just thought we got it wrong in the first half as after 5 minutes you could see that Mackay had set his stall out by plumping 11 men behind the ball, packing the midfield and sitting tight....the very time when we should have had an outlet on the wing which Assulin certainly is not.

It will be interesting if that formation from Gus was a "suck it and see" formation, because I think against Pompey who will be up for it ( possibly their last ever game) will not come to sit behind the ball.

I also thought it was interesting how Razzak coped with almost man to man marking....well he didn't, which is something he may need to learn quickly to progress in the Premiership and Europe. He struggled to make space as basically there was none.

The second half was chalk and cheese and once Cardiff scored, we needed to change it, which begs the question, if cardiff hadn't scored, how long would Gus have kept it as it was....maybe a point was what we were after?

At least the great games we have had this season outweighs the ones like last night, but that is the first time ( even in games we have lost) at home that I came away nonplussed.

Yes, thanks for sharing and I agree!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

broolstory.jpg

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I actually thought last nights game was one of the best I had seen in a long time. Sure the crowd was subdued and Cardiff came to defend, but it was a great tactical battle and the quality of the goals from both sides were very high. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there is a parallel with cricket. Many people prefer the bish bash bosh of Twenty20 cricket (typical English 100Mph cup football) to the slower more tactical plod of a test match (last nights slow build up versus counter attack), but I think both can be enjoyable.

With regards to the tactics, I think the fault in the first half was that Gus wanted to take a good look at Assulin and as a team we have yet to work out how to get the best from him. The bigger picture is that this was worth doing, to see whether we should try and keep hold of him for the rest of the season. My impression was that good player that he obviously is, he is not going to be the one to make a big difference for us. I felt the first half was crying out for the explosive pace and shooting of LuaLua, but there you go.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
With regards to the tactics, I think the fault in the first half was that Gus wanted to take a good look at Assulin and as a team we have yet to work out how to get the best from him. The bigger picture is that this was worth doing, to see whether we should try and keep hold of him for the rest of the season. My impression was that good player that he obviously is, he is not going to be the one to make a big difference for us. I felt the first half was crying out for the explosive pace and shooting of LuaLua, but there you go.

Using such a big game to have a look at someone? Surely not?

The absence of Buckley in the first half meant no width. When a team parks the bus you HAVE to try and make space. We played far too narrow again (Millwall was the same).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Using such a big game to have a look at someone? Surely not?

The absence of Buckley in the first half meant no width. When a team parks the bus you HAVE to try and make space. We played far too narrow again (Millwall was the same).

His loan is due to expire, so it is decision time. He has the makings of a very good player, but I don't think he is ready to make an instant impact.
Also take a look at the stats for the Amex goals scored in the South goal versus goals scored in the North goal. Plus Cardiff parked the bus like many Div 1 teams tried against us last season. It was not a one game phenomenon that we could not break down the opposition in the first half.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Well I thought the first half was the most dominant we've been in sustained possession and if CMS had taken his chance Cardiff would have been forced to open up a bit more. As we played with just one dedicated wide player it seemed like we missed Dicker and his eye for a defence splitting pass. It was very congested as Cardiff sat so deep.

Interesting game and good impact from all 3 subs, Noone especially looked back to his best and I think all 3 will start against Pompey.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
we do have a problem with starting quickly. I can kind of understand the take your time to have a look at the opposition view and obviously you don't want to go gung ho and lose the game before half time but we often only seem to display urgency in the last 45 minutes. A bit of urgency and grabbing a game by the throat wouldn't go amiss.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I think sometimes completely going for it against a team parking the bus is not the perfect solution it may appear to be. A feature of parking the bus is playing on the break and exploiting space when the opposition attacks break down. I think it's a little bit one-eyed to say Cardiff were "there for the taking", as I suspect it was more their negative tactics than any wrongdoing on our part that dictated the course of the first half. Not that I was at the game. *getscoat*

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
His loan is due to expire, so it is decision time. He has the makings of a very good player, but I don't think he is ready to make an instant impact.
Also take a look at the stats for the Amex goals scored in the South goal versus goals scored in the North goal. Plus Cardiff parked the bus like many Div 1 teams tried against us last season. It was not a one game phenomenon that we could not break down the opposition in the first half.

Is it, I thought they were both here till the end of the season?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
First half, we played some lovely football down the right hand side, but unfortunately it didn't really go anywhere.

I like the possession style of our play, but the safety first aspect of it can be incredibly frustrating and i think the biggest frustration is watching CMS, Barnes and others move into space or point to where they want the ball and then just not getting the ball played to them.

The game was crying out for someone who can play a through ball or killer pass.... some one like RYAN BERNARD HARLEY :clap:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think sometimes completely going for it against a team parking the bus is not the perfect solution it may appear to be. A feature of parking the bus is playing on the break and exploiting space when the opposition attacks break down. I think it's a little bit one-eyed to say Cardiff were "there for the taking", as I suspect it was more their negative tactics than any wrongdoing on our part that dictated the course of the first half. Not that I was at the game. *getscoat*

Yet you've called it far better than most who were at the game. Cardiff were not "there for the taking" first half at all.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I agree re the first half. It was dull as ditchwater and we did not have an answer to their park the bus approach. The last half hour though was great entertainment. We threw the kitchen sink at them and gave it a right old go, and even at 1-2 I was being entertained. I'd like to think we'll pick where we left off on saturday, but suspect we won't.

Total agreement. I thought I'd fall asleep in the 1st half.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

You will get slated on here for that:)
I actually totally agree,i find it boring and very frustrating.I don't see the points in having quality attacking players when they're not utilised,why waste 30 mins a game at home passing it around the back?
Most pundits get bored watching us and in all our live games bar leeds its been well boring.Gus im sure is working on this as its not pretty football or attacking football,its more like watching the old defensive italian sides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here