Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My take on last night

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Couldn't disagree with the OP more really. Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night, except for the fact we didn't win, obviously.

Cardiff 'parked the bus' in the first half and were very difficult to break down. They're a good side who clearly set out to frustrate us. Having said that, their keeper produced a point blank save from CMS and we also hit the post. Second half, they score with virtually their first chance of the game and immediately Poyet makes a triple substitution. Brilliant, positive tactics. We deservedly equalise after piling on the pressure only to see them score a fluke second when Brez punched the ball directly to Whittingham. This is obviously a huge blow after we'd just pulled things back, but we didn't wilt and managed to grab another thoroughly deserved equaliser.

As Gus said after the game, it would have been a huge injustice if we hadn't got something out of it as we were clearly the better side throughout.

We had 15 shots (7 on target) in that game compared to just 6 against Ipswich (3 on target) - a match some people are saying was our best performance of 2012. On another day, we would have won fairly comfortably. We were just unlucky. It was a very good performance against a decent Championship team. Onwards and upwards.

:thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
yes and my point was that we totally failed to break them down when having out what I took Gus saw as his best team...and at time the pass it along the back whilst forawrds like CMS were running their socks off trying to make space and been totally ignored bored the pants off me.

Any reason to shout btw? Did you get your point over better?

They weren't ignored. Our players just didn't want to give away possession. The runs being made were often comfortably covered by the Cardiff players (hence - Cardiff playing well).

The same people moaning "get it FORWARD" would be the same people moaning in frustration when the ball is given away because we try to get it forward too quickly and the ball isn't quite on.

Greer is one of the best defenders I have ever seen at spotting the right time to play forward and when not to - look through our goals last season.

What shaolinpunk says above is spot on. Unfortunately for us Cardiff were providing a masterclass in "shutting the gap".

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Or play Dunk, who always looks to do that anyway?

mmm,i agree he is better than all the rest,but it is a area that drives me crazy,we have players that are all comfortable with the ball,but when there is so much space in front of the 2 centre backs,this should be exploited,like the old days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They weren't ignored. Our players just didn't want to give away possession. The runs being made were often comfortably covered by the Cardiff players (hence - Cardiff playing well).

The same people moaning "get it FORWARD" would be the same people moaning in frustration when the ball is given away because we try to get it forward too quickly and the ball isn't quite on.

What shaolinpunk says above is spot on. Unfortunately for us Cardiff were providing a masterclass in "shutting the gap".

I ( and also people around me) spotted three times when CMS made a run and two of them ended up with him throwing his arms up in frustration when he had made space ( which I agree was very limited ) and a pass had not come through...in fact when he was going off at half time a few people around me noted a "discussion" with greer where cms was pointing to where he would have wanted the ball and it didn't come.

But we are going around in circles here as you have a diametrically opposite opinion to me on this and we will never agree.

Lets hope Gus has used the experience of yesterday to put out a more balanced side for saturday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I ( and also people around me) spotted three times when CMS made a run and two of them ended up with him throwing his arms up in frustration when he had made space ( which I agree was very limited ).

None of that means that the pass was definitely on. For Gus, keeping possession is PARAMOUNT. It's served us incredibly well so far, and I believe it will continue to.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Not a sideswipe at anyone in particular. Anyone saying they were "there for the taking" first half is talking nonsense though, IMO. Cardiff executed their game plan PERFECTLY first half.

I gather that's directed at my comment, well, IMHO Cardiff are not a bad side but were not that brilliant either. They came to defend and to try and hit us on the break and set their stall out accordingly in the first half. It was our inability to break them down due to lack of width and pace on the wings that made them look good. It was almost as though Gus had decided that a draw would be ok, and when that backfired he changed to an attacking formation and look how we changed after the 3 subs. Why wait until we're behind at home before deciding to attack, do it from the start. And I stand by what I said, IMO if we had played with width and pace in the first half Cardiff were there for the taking, but we'll never know now will we.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I gather that's directed at my comment, well, IMHO Cardiff are not a bad side but were not that brilliant either. They came to defend and to try and hit us on the break and set their stall out accordingly in the first half. It was our inability to break them down due to lack of width and pace on the wings that made them look good. It was almost as though Gus had decided that a draw would be ok, and when that backfired he changed to an attacking formation and look how we changed after the 3 subs. Why wait until we're behind at home before deciding to attack, do it from the start. And I stand by what I said, IMO if we had played with width and pace in the first half Cardiff were there for the taking, but we'll never know now will we.

There was no pace because there was no space for our players to attack, and there was no width because every time Assulin got the ball they had two men on him. You can't always invent space and width out of thin air.

I don't think Gus had decided that. We had unquestionably the better chances of the first half and were unlucky not to go in 1-0 up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Lets hope Gus has used the experience of yesterday to put out a more balanced side for saturday.

You say that as if Gus will acknowledge he made mistakes in the first half. I think he was pretty happy with the first half to be honest.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
There was no pace because there was no space for our players to attack, and there was no width because every time Assulin got the ball they had two men on him. You can't always invent space and width out of thin air.

I don't think Gus had decided that. We had unquestionably the better chances of the first half and were unlucky not to go in 1-0 up.

There was no pace or width in the first half due to our team selection, not Cardiff's tactics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here