Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My message to the players and Gus

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We waited 10 months for this game. You f***ed it up in 7 minutes.

That is all.

Think about it.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
No, leave him alone. I like reading posts like that!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To be fair to Gus he sent the players out for the second half and it should have been 1-1 after a minute. Then it's game on.

D

Deleted User X18H

That is all.

Think about it.

To be honest us real Albion fans here in Brighton aren't that worried about it. I mean we're here in Brighton and the stench of Croydon is out of our nostrils, just.That's all you have to think about really. Did you see much of Croydon? It's fouler that Lewis Dunk on the edge of the D.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think one of the problems is that for Poyet, despite what he might say, Palace is simply another League game. He's not a fan, he doesn't 'get' the rivalry, he doesn't get why two minor clubs fifty miles apart hate each other for quite petty and quite recent reasons that are solely football based and, unlike a lot of rivalries, are nothing to do with a greater animosity between the two areas or peoples.

It's all a bit of a 'meh' from me. Personally I think he's quite right to just treat it as another game. However, for those who disagree, the boot will soon be on the other foot as the FA Cup 3rd Round is coming up soon, and Poyet doesn't 'get' the FA Cup either - and unlike the Palace rivalry him not getting the FA Cup REALLY pisses me off ...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

That is all.

Think about it.

Think about what ?

Dunk made a mistake and quite rightly got a straight red which put us on the back foot for 84 minutes.

Shit happens and a lot worse than that

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ian Holloway said that he only became aware of the Albion - Palace rivalry 2 weeks ago, whereas Gus spoke before the match about how important it was to the fans. If anything, the management have over-hyped it to the players because I haven't seen us start that nervously for a long time.

Feb 14, 2010
My message is:-
1. Stop choking at big games.
2. Poyet - wipe the grin off the face and waffling on about your friends in the game when you lose. The interviews after palace and liverpool are cringeworthy
3. Grow a backbone and have some fight when we play palace. The record under Poyet is played 3, lost 2 drawn 1. Our head to head advantage is at risk.
4. Understand that finishing below palace, a club that struggle get get gates half the size of ours, is not acceptable. We get the biggest crowds in the division and that brings expectation. Understand that fact and deal with it.
5. Poyet takes responsibility for letting Murray go and buying CMC with the cash. CMS/Barnes are his strike force and they couldn't hit a cows arse with a Banjo. Murray however, well the record speaks for its.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Even if Dunk had stayed on the park, we'd have still got hammered, we just didn't look like we wanted to compete.

The first 10 minutes of a derby are always frantic how can you possibly know what the outcome would have been had we kept 11 on the pitch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Even if Dunk had stayed on the park, we'd have still got hammered, we just didn't look like we wanted to compete.

The same thing happened to Spurs vs Arsenal the other week. Adebayor off after 9 mins, result 5-2 to Arsenal. Early dismissals are hard to respond from, but even more significant in a derby match.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I think one of the problems is that for Poyet, despite what he might say, Palace is simply another League game. He's not a fan, he doesn't 'get' the rivalry, he doesn't get why two minor clubs fifty miles apart hate each other for quite petty and quite recent reasons that are solely football based and, unlike a lot of rivalries, are nothing to do with a greater animosity between the two areas or peoples.

It's all a bit of a 'meh' from me. Personally I think he's quite right to just treat it as another game. However, for those who disagree, the boot will soon be on the other foot as the FA Cup 3rd Round is coming up soon, and Poyet doesn't 'get' the FA Cup either - and unlike the Palace rivalry him not getting the FA Cup REALLY pisses me off ...
If he doesn't get the palace rivalry THAT pisses me off.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
We didn't show up when it matters , we showed nerves and it cost us - simple as that really.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Think about what ?

Dunk made a mistake and quite rightly got a straight red which put us on the back foot for 84 minutes.

Shit happens and a lot worse than that

You seem very blase about it. It's a huge mistake that could have cost us the game. Palace kept their heads in the atmosphere, didn't make those kind of mistakes.

It's not like the ref sent Dunk off wrongly and we were robbed by that decision. It ruined everything our game plan the match as a spectacle, possession, ability to attack, everything.

It's as bad as a poor back pass for a goal, missing open goals, it's a crass error.

I think a very clear split is emerging among Albion fans between those who think this game is very important, and those who don't. And I know which side I'm on.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

This is all part of the problem the prem has bought to the nations game. Too much money, too many foreigners who have no understanding of the English game and what it means to the fans. It's all self, self, self...It's the FA Cup third round draw today, just them three words should make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. The greatest cup competition in the world( well it always was) and Gus( not only Gus I might add) couldn't give a flying f*** about it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I'm with you on this. Palace is an interesting diversion, quite enjoyable to have a 'rival' and it irritates me more than most other games when we lose to them - but today I don't particularly care. It's not the Old Firm, or Liverpool-Man Utd or even Southampton-Portsmouth, no matter how hard people try. There are wider issues that fuel those animosities - and even that's all a bit dim really. When I was younger maybe I felt the same. Now I think it's all a bit of a pantomime to buy into for the enjoyment - far too many serious things in the world to worry about to lose any sleep over Palace.

And we'll stuff them at The Amex and finish above them anyway :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The same thing happened to Spurs vs Arsenal the other week. Adebayor off after 9 mins, result 5-2 to Arsenal. Early dismissals are hard to respond from, but even more significant in a derby match.

I was working with a Spurs fan yesterday, he could see what I was going through, feels exactly the same about Arsenal, and made exactly the same comparison.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is all part of the problem the prem has bought to the nations game. Too much money, too many foreigners who have no understanding of the English game and what it means to the fans. It's all self, self, self...It's the FA Cup third round draw today, just them three words should make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. The greatest cup competition in the world( well it always was) and Gus( not only Gus I might add) couldn't give a flying f*** about it.

Wrong again. Gus won the FA cup and has said he loves it. What he doesn't like is the other cup games like the JPT and the League Cup. He has said that there should be just two competitions in a season, the League and the FA cup.
Think about where we have got in the last 3 years with Gus in the FA cup. We've played in the 4th round twice and the 5th round against such teams as Villa, Newcastle, Liverpool and Stoke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here