Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My God the Tories really dug the knife into Blair last night

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
So some people won seats, some people lost seats, in elections that no-one really cares about and have little bearing on anything on a practical level. Big deal.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
I DO care whether my MP likes whores to shit in his briefcase though......no wonder the Lib-Dems failed to make any progress

Did u see the Lib Dem MP on Question Time?

Certainly worth putting a slip in her ballot box::D

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Grendel said:
So some people won seats, some people lost seats, in elections that no-one really cares about and have little bearing on anything on a practical level. Big deal.

That is part of the problem. In many other countries, local authorities have real power, here they just decide what day the bins are collected and whether recycling boxes are black or orange.

Think of how much better off we'd be if the Falmer decision was solely in the hands of B&H council.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My local council, Wandsworth - Con 51, Lab 9:drink::drink:

My ward, Con over 2200, nearest rival Green just under 700.

Labour has taken a pasting in London apart from in Clapham Gull's area, Lambeth, which they took against the run of play.

Gwylan said:
That is part of the problem. In many other countries, local authorities have real power, here they just decide what day the bins are collected and whether recycling boxes are black or orange.

Think of how much better off we'd be if the Falmer decision was solely in the hands of B&H council.

LA's still have a major play on our lives: they manage our schools, some health services, social sevices, roads, bins, parks basiucally all of the elements of our quality of life.

Just that with privatisation, the old Municipality may no longer directly deliver these services

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
London Calling said:
LA's still have a major play on our lives: they manage our schools, some health services, social sevices, roads, bins, parks basiucally all of the elements of our quality of life.

Just that with privatisation, the old Municipality may no longer directly deliver these services

I was being a bit facetious, of course LAs have some responsibilities; the point is that they have fewer and fewer.

To take your point about schools; once upon a time, they had absolute authority. Now there's a national curriculum, headteacher autonomy and academies in the mix - all of which undermine the authority of the local council.

I do think that they should be given more powers (and more revenue raising opportunities) - that would get more people joining in the debate.

Labour been wiped out over London just 4 councils at the moment. Though Newham and Hackney still to come in.

Last time Newham was 54 labour and 2 for respect.

8 years a go London was nearly all red.

About to lose Tower Hamlets- their Leader has lost his seat.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
London Calling said:
Labour been wiped out over London just 4 councils at the moment. Though Newham and Hackney still to come in.

Last time Newham was 54 labour and 2 for respect.

8 years a go it was nearly all red.

About to lose Tower Hamlets- their Leader has lost his seat.

According to teletext, Newham, Hackney and Greenwich councils will be up for complete re-election.

But it didn't state a result for any of them. Does that mean that the results are still to come in? Too close to call?

eastlondonseagull said:
According to teletext, Newham, Hackney and Greenwich councils will be up for complete re-election.

But it didn't state a result for any of them. Does that mean that the results are still to come in? Too close to call?

I believe Greenwich retained Labour, we are waiting for the results of the other two. Both have Mayors - so counting takes twice as long- and they started counting this morning after brekky.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Stinky Kat said:
A slap in the face for the whole Labour party's arrogance in hastings - god help us under the tories though

I'd be more concerned about the fact that I lived in Hastings than the result of any local elections.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Auditor said:
...and you live in.....Bradley Stoke !!

I do. Very nice it is too. If you live in the exclusive parts and away from the riff raff that is.

chicken run said:

Hi there fella - just to burst you bubble: Labour's vote was exactly the same as in the local elections two years ago. Cameron managed a measly 2 per cent more than Michael Howard did in 04.

Enjoy your landslide :drink: :drink: :drink:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I voted Conservative for the first time in my life after 26 years of voting Lib Dem.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Rangdo said:
I'd be more concerned about the fact that I lived in Hastings than the result of any local elections.

Hastings is ok. We got the sea, semi affordable housing and a crack cocaine epedemic, what else could you need

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Stinky Kat said:
Hastings is ok. We got the sea, semi affordable housing and a crack cocaine epedemic, what else could you need

To be fair I haven't been there since I wasa kid and my mcurrent opinions are based on the fact that I know a policeman who works there so it's obviously going to be mostly bad news.
Do they still have those cable car things that go up and down the cliff?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here