Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My concerns

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Where does this revisionist theory on Lloyd come from, he was truely awful. Yes he got us to the Wembley Play Off final, on a negative goal difference, but for every great signing, there was a piss poor one. Also there is the matter that Small and Byrne were likely to be sold, yet he still managed to sell our other forward in Nelson, so leaving us short up front.

He hated the fans, oh and it took our subs 10 minutes longer than any other teams to warm up, due to the large amounts of passive smoking, from sitting next to Lloyd.

You name me one manager since Lloyd who has a better record at finding gems for nothing then him.?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
But then find one that has signed as much shite (taking out the Gillingham years).
The odds are stacked well against you if you have to rely on freebies and you know that.
Another question for you mr.Buck. Name me a manager who has brought in more money to the club by selling free transfer signings they have made since Lloyd?
I don't believe your memory or lack of it of the Lloyd era does him any justice.
No manager has even come close to a finish as high as he did on limted resources except probably Gritt who did the great escape which was an achievement in it's own.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The odds are stacked well against you if you have to rely on freebies and you know that.
Another question for you mr.Buck. Name me a manager who has brought in more money to the club by selling free transfer signings they have made since Lloyd?
I don't believe your memory or lack of it of the Lloyd era does him any justice.
No manager has even come close to a finish as high as he did on limted resources except probably Gritt who did the great escape which was an achievement in it's own.

McGhee would cover and better all those points, I'm only answering on behalf of Uncle Buck because I know he would choke if he had to tell you this...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

surely mcghee must come close - he got £1.5m alone for a youth team product who before then hadn't been considered good enough for the first team by the previous three managers

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
McGhee would cover and better all those points, I'm only answering on behalf of Uncle Buck because I know he would choke if he had to tell you this...

I'm talking about free transfers and not youth team products.You could also throw in Barry as well.Should the manager at the time take credit for Barry?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

The selling on of youth players in recent years woudl trump anything Lloyd did and with the exception of Nogan, most of the players that were sold on for a fee, were not freebies (Byrne we paid over 100k to Le Harve for and Small there was a fee).

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The selling on of youth players in recent years woudl trump anything Lloyd did and with the exception of Nogan, most of the players that were sold on for a fee, were not freebies (Byrne we paid over 100k to Le Harve for and Small there was a fee).

But you failed to read my question properly like the previous two posters.I wasn't talking about youth products i was talking about free transfer signings managers have made and then sold them on for a fee.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

But you failed to read my question properly like the previous two posters.I wasn't talking about youth products i was talking about free transfer signings managers have made and then sold them on for a fee.

Other than Nogan, which freebies did Lloyd sell on?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Other than Nogan, which freebies did Lloyd sell on?

Just the one but a record that has yet to be broken since(250k) I know Horton signed a player that never played for us(can't remember his name)and got a healthy 100k within a mater of weeks.
No offence but how old were you around the LLoyd era?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Just the one but a record that has yet to be broken since(250k) I know Horton signed a player that never played for us(can't remember his name)and got a healthy 100k within a mater of weeks.
No offence but how old were you around the LLoyd era?

The problem is most seasons under Lloyd were poor and the fact that people now say otherwise is a rewrite of history.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The problem is most seasons under Lloyd were poor and the fact that people now say otherwise is a rewrite of history.
Which manager signed Beeney and how much for? Was it Lloyd?
I see you dodged the question about age.:p

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I have to wonder how manyof Lloyds freebies he actually 'discovered' and how many were just players doing the rounds and trying to find a club. I think that's certainly true of Nogan who didn't look very impressive in his trail period until a ball bounced off him for a goal.

He made a fair bit on another freetransfer in selling Dean Saunders, except he didn't sign Saunders.

I'm old enough to remember Lloyd, total prat of a manager, IMO.

FACE FACTS..pick the strongest team from the players Lloyd had at the club during his time as manager and match them up against Adams' best players,both teams at the top of their game,Lloyd's team would demolish them!! with out Zamora,Adams did not have the fire power.Lloyd had some true quality.remember the players he had to sell to keep the club alive.Different times i agree.it would not work to bring Barry back now.any rumours suggesting he might return are scare tactics.Give BARRY LLOYD THE RESPECT HE DESERVES.he was not perfect,did sign some crap,but every manager does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here